IGNORED

battery

bucknekkid

I need to replace my 1100rt battery. I'm pretty handy and like to do things myself but removing the tupperware has me a little worried. Are there any step by step instructions out there on this procedure? Also, any reccomendations on a replacement battery? And a good place to obtain one?

I need to replace my 1100rt battery. I'm pretty handy and like to do things myself but removing the tupperware has me a little worried. Are there any step by step instructions out there on this procedure? Also, any reccomendations on a replacement battery? And a good place to obtain one?

Buck,

Have you tried the search feature?

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...true#Post651854

is a good battery replacement thread.

Mick

I would get an Odyssey PC 680 AGM battery. Some folks get them from e-bay, westco, battery mart, etc.- just do a search for that model on the web and get the best price considering the shipping too. All you have to do it take off the left hand side fairing panel (driver's side skin), take off this intake tube that's in your way by unlatching the airbox, sliding it up out of the way and taking off an allen bolt. Then, you just undo a rubber strap, slide battery out a little, (helps here to have your wife, girlfriend, or friend around to hand you tools), undo neg. post, slide out more and undo pos. post. Clean cables and coat terminals and cable ends with battery anti-corrosion grease (pick up at parts store). Put in new battery. Depending upon year and length of your cables, some people are able to put Odyssey in upright position- some put it on it's side so that the terminals are positioned outwards towards the driver's left leg (battery will be on it's side,no acid to leak out). Copper adapter terminals are available from Westco (I'm not sure on this you may have to post question on adapters), if you want to mount battery upright. Biggest thing for me the first time taking off the skins (fairing panels) is how to take off the mirrors. Stand in front of the mirrors (with the mirror glass facing you), and put one hand cupped under the mirror. With the other hand, smack the leading outside edge of the mirror with a solid smack. You may have to do this several times to get it to come off. When it does, pull the socket with the turn signal bulb out of the mirror housing. Do a search on fairing screws- there's a bunch of them on each side. Just remember that the 3 that go on top and follow the contour of the gas tank can only take the short ones (5/8", I think) the longest one goes behind the mirror, and if you get a light and look on the inside of the oil cooler opening, there is a 3/4" screw on either side. I just drew a picture of the side panel and measured each one as I took it out. After a while, you will have them memorized. Also, do search on mirror tethers so your mirrors don't say goodbye while you are going 80 m.p.h. down the interstate.

No_Twilight
I would get an Odyssey PC 680 AGM battery. ...

Please quit recommending the Odyssey batteries. The prices are going up. --Jerry

Archived