IGNORED

High Mileage tires for 00 RT

ahpd1992

What brand of tires will give me the best mileage? Im just replacing the original tires on my (new to me) 00 r1100rt. The bike has 11k on it and I would like to get some tires that get 20k on them. I mostly ride the interstate to and from work, 35 miles one way. I dont do a lot of heavy sport riding as Illinois is long and flat. So Im wondering what tires everyone has used and their opinions

Thanks in advance

Tom

Can't help you--I can only get 6-7k out of my front tires and I'm not aggressive by any means.

Have tried Bridgestone, Pilot Road, and Z6. They all either square off of dish out long before the tread gets down to the wear bars. tongue.gif

The rears all seem to go to 12k

ShovelStrokeEd

Forget about 20K, it just ain't gonna happen.

Some of the longest lived tires I have ever used have been Metzler 880's. I also had great luck with Tourance tires on my GS but they don't come in sizes suitable for your RT.

Expect 10 - 12K out of a rear and maybe 15K out of a front as a good average considering the type of riding you do. I think it is pointless to push tire wear much beyond the 80% level anyway. By that time, the performance of the tire has deteriorated so much that handling and braking will be effected enough to warrant a change.

I too, live in an area that is tough on tires in terms of flat roads with few turns and I have just come to accept that 7-8K is about max for me. It is 600 miles for me before I even get to see some turns that might lead me to use the sides of the tires at speeds that will keep me out of jail. There are some 140 mph sweepers down here but, you get the idea.

Thanks for the info...my local mechanic(not a bmw dealer) is pretty cool, he doesnt pretend that he knows everything, he mostly works on japanese bikes, but I trust him with most of my maintenance including brakes and tires. He is the one who told me to go on the web and ask you guys, admitting that he doesnt know enough about bmw's to make a suggestion. He tells me that the rear tire is in good shape, but the front probably should be replaced. As I am the 2nd owner and I have no idea what the maintenance history is I think Im gonne replace em both so I know where Im starting. When I got the bike w/ 7500 miles I did the 6k service just to make sure and the bike worked much better after. I think Il take a look at Avons and figure on 10k as a realistic point to replace. As always you guys have been very helpful, thanks. One day I hope I can return the favor.

Tom

Thanks for the info...my local mechanic(not a bmw dealer) is pretty cool, he doesnt pretend that he knows everything, he mostly works on japanese bikes, but I trust him with most of my maintenance including brakes and tires. He is the one who told me to go on the web and ask you guys, admitting that he doesnt know enough about bmw's to make a suggestion. He tells me that the rear tire is in good shape, but the front probably should be replaced. As I am the 2nd owner and I have no idea what the maintenance history is I think Im gonne replace em both so I know where Im starting. When I got the bike w/ 7500 miles I did the 6k service just to make sure and the bike worked much better after. I think Il take a look at Avons and figure on 10k as a realistic point to replace. As always you guys have been very helpful, thanks. One day I hope I can return the favor.

Tom

Welcome to the board Tom,

If, like me, you stick around you will learn more about BMW bikes, and all sorts of other things, than you ever thought possible. Then one day you realise you are posting some information for someone else that you learnt from this DB.

Should you be so motivated, here you can learn how to carry out all sorts of jobs on your bike, from basic maintenance to major repair. Or you can learn what you need to speak to your mechanic about if you rather they did the work.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Expect 10 - 12K out of a rear and maybe 15K out of a front as a good average considering the type of riding you do.
That's about spot on in my experience. 20k isn't going to be a happening thing no matter what you do.

I'll add another vote for the Avons (45ST/46ST). You'll pay a slight premium but these are great handling tires whose profile works very well on the RT. They probably wouldn't be considered a mileage tire but I get as much mileage out of the Avons as I do anything else.

Paul Mihalka

I ride pretty high mileage (30/35K miles/year) so mileage is important. My favorites are the Metzeler ME880, as Ed mentioned. I do everything from commuting (25 miles one way of backroads), Sunday rides (400 miles of backroads) to cross-country (Rockies/Utah/British Columbia). Their handling feel is very nice, they still handle well when almost worn (many don't), and never let me down on traction.

20k isn't going to be a happening thing no matter what you do.

That's not exactly true.. I personnaly know someone who has gotten 31k out of a set of tires.. On a 1200LT. I personnaly a little wary of the fact that they were 4yrs old.

So in my opinion maybe 20k isn't too far of a leap on an RT.. JMHO.

Dave ooo.gif

Tom-- Welcome aboard, good to have you here!

I live in pretty hilly country and have been doing a lot of two up hard riding as of late. I'm running a set of Metzler 880s (radial) and they have given me the best service of any tire yet.

That being said, I have 12K on the set now and the front is doing swell. The back is wearing flat and starting to cup and make some noise when I lean it off of straight up. There is plenty of tread left, and several more miles, but I don't really see anyone getting near 20K on a set of motorcycle tires. I'm afraid if you did, they'd be so hard (like an OLD pencil eraser) that you'd be a nervous wreck anytime you went around a curve.

My tires took me on a 3K tour from east TN to New Mexico and back, a three day, 1500 mile excursion from TN to Ohio and back via mostly back road, although I did do a HIGH speed excursion from Canton, OH to Charleston, WV. And in between, there have been multiple trips to Deal's Gap and up and down the Cherohala.

As I said, for me (and I know others will disagree) the ME 880s have been the best for my RT; but they're no 20K tire.

Paul Mihalka
20k isn't going to be a happening thing no matter what you do.
Wrong. For one year ('85) in Florida I got way over 20K on my tires and regularly over 50mpg, on my R100. That was darkest 55mph speed limit times and I had 11 points on my license and with 12 I kissed it goodbye. dopeslap.gif
ShovelStrokeEd

Yeahbut, your R100 probably weighed about 150 lbs less than an RT. Betcha you were running ME88 rear and a ME33 front as well. Those tires did wear like iron and provided just about as much traction as well. Still run them on both my R100S and the Guzzi LeMans.

I am quite familiar with the one more point and it's over dance as well. BTDT about 3 times in the last 15 years or so. I need to make the end of May to finally wind up with a clear license again. Last ticket was May of 2003, 85 in a 70 thanks to a moment of stupidity while playing with a guy on a Ducati on an on-ramp near Gainesville. He stayed in the right lane and I decided to blast around to the fast lane to complete the pass. Ran right into a laser. Grrrr!!!.

Yeahbut, your R100 probably weighed about 150 lbs less than an RT. Betcha you were running ME88 rear and a ME33 front as well. Those tires did wear like iron and provided just about as much traction as well. Still run them on both my R100S and the Guzzi LeMans.

What Ed said.

I used to get 50K on the front and 25K on the rear on my old R60/5. But it was a lighter bike and tires in those days were in a very different part of the traction vs longevity tradeoff.

rwehavnfunyet

Would you elaborate a little on where the Avons sit on the traction - mileage curve? I've had a '96 R1100RT now for a few months now and I'll be fine for a few more months of fair weather riding. But I'm (as I wrote in another forum) back on a bike after 40 years and need all the edification I can muster.

ShovelStrokeEd

Chances are, especially after a 40 year layoff, that traction is not going to be an issue for you, even in wet weather. Tires have come so far since you rode last that you will be able to do things that were just considered stupid back in the day.

I'm not familiar with the Avons but the 880's which are considered to be quite hard by some standards will stick right down to the edge of the tire and that, on an LT. Just isn't much of an issue anymore unless you are pushing the performance envelope big time.

I usually choose Metzlers as a good all round tyre - which also gives some good mileage.

But rarely get more than 10k on rear and 12k maximum on the front. I think I'm on Metzler Roadtec Z6 at present.

Getting miles from a tire is quite simple, don't ride aggressively. High speed, hard braking, quick acceleration all kill rubber. Heavy loads also take a toll. If you do all of these things, you deserve only 7K. I run a BT020 on the rear of my 96RT and consistantly get 25K to 30K. thumbsup.gif On the front I run the 880, lets call it 20K to 25K due to the left tire wear problem I seem to encounter. I use the bike for commuting to work in Vegas, some slab some surface streets, but I don't beat the bike!!!!!

I consistently get 20K+ on the front, & over 16K rear with ME880's on my 96RT running 41 PSI front & rear. 95% on the slab & about half of that 2 up. Bike has 120K on the odometer (had it since new). I just ride it easy. No BS.

Brian PDQ Signs

I got some Avon road runners or something like that years ago. These tires had some advertisement about lasting forever, blah, blah, blah. Well they did last forever, at least 20K. I was a starving college student and thought this was perfect for me, well they weren't.

I was practicing my MSF exercises in a parking lot (I practice quite often) and went down and ended up going down 2 other times with those tires. They would slide on the paint stripes. The compound was so hard that they just didn't grip. Well they lived up to their name but I won't ever buy Avon's again. In over 150K of riding I've been down 3 times (2 parking lot under 5 mph and one freeway 40 mph) and that was because of those tires. I'd rather be safe then save a few bucks.

On my 4 different bikes I've had Metzelers with great success and Bridgestone Spitfires great success and now some Michilen Pilot Roads with great success. Don't skimp on your tires.

It's funny, but I almost always seem to wear out front and back tire at very close to the same mileage. (Don't know what that says, but it's been true over many bikes, and tires...)

I just took a set of the 880's off over the weekend with almost exactly 10K on them, and they were pretty much completely worn out. (And not much in the way of chicken strips, either.) I was running 40/42 as well, and they're still pretty round - just not much wear surface left. Overall, it was a 'decent' tire, with adequate grip, but not really confidence inspiring.

Previously I went through a set of the Avon Azarros, and got ~7500 miles out of them, though they were REALLY worn out when they came off. (The cord wasn't exposed, but was almost visible under the rubber remaining.) They were very square, and had been since ~3000 miles. Almost looked like a car tire, in the back. Good grip in all kinds of conditions, though the handling (with the squared off profile) wasn't spectacular.

Newest set are the Roadtec Z6. Since I only put them on the bike on Saturday, I don't have enough miles on them for any feedback yet. (Though with a new set of Ohlins at the same time, the handling improvement cant all be contributed to the rubber.)

Since I'll have 2 track days on them next weekend, my replacement mileage won't be a fair comparison, either. But I sure look forward to wearing them out!

G.

• 1 month later...
bart_vanreeth

I use Metzeler Marathon 880 too. last 24.000 km. then they still have treads but cupping gets bad. In Luxembourg in the rain they dissapointed me a little. Since I do less kilometers now, I might go back to a softer Metzeler.

Archived