IGNORED

K1200GT Exhaust Leak?!?

Caseyd

My 2004 K1200GT with 9,000 miles just developed what sounds like an exhaust leak. We had been riding pretty hard at Deals Gap and the noise started. The noise appears to be coming from the header/engine area. At firts, it was only when the engine was hot, it has gotten progressivly louder in the last day or so. I crawled on the ground and I can see all the header bolts are still there, but I have not had time to pull off side panels and check tightness.

Has anyone else heard of problems with this? The only thing I could find when serching site is split header, and I hope it is not that. I am thinking loose bolt?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Casey

Yes they get loose. No need to pull the side panels. Just remove the bottom black plastic. Use a torque wrench if you can. I can't remember the specs. If the noise is still there ( easier to hear with the bottom cover off ) you might need to replace the 4 copper gaskets. Again, not a major deal. If you actually pull the exhaust you can see where the leak, if any, is. Look for the plack discoloration near the flanges. thumbsup.gif

Archived