IGNORED

Garmin 376 Questions

Captain_Pat

Captain_Pat

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPS from a Garmin 2610 to a Garmin 376, after noodling around on the Garmin site and doing a search I still have some questions.

1. My intention is to purchase the 376, plus the auto nav kit, plus a larger data card--is there any additional equipment that I should consider to be able to use it in my car and motorcycle (besides mounts and wiring)?

2. The Garmin site indicates that an XM antenna is included, is this part of the GPS antenna or is it a separate unit?

3. Does the weather/radar subscription also provide access to the other XM stations, IOW can I also get music on the same subscription?

4. Could a separate XM reciever (e.g., Roady) use the 376 antenna or would it need a separate one?

Thanks in advance confused.gif

2. The Garmin site indicates that an XM antenna is included, is this part of the GPS antenna or is it a separate unit?

3. Does the weather/radar subscription also provide access to the other XM stations, IOW can I also get music on the same subscription?

4. Could a separate XM reciever (e.g., Roady) use the 376 antenna or would it need a separate one?

2. Separate antenna, model number GXM-30, accounts for the ~$200 price difference between the 276C and 376C

3. The XM WX sub is separate from the music, but I believe with a weather sub the music package costs $7 less per month

4. No, the GXM-30 antenna actually contains the XM radio (the GPS merely interfaces with it) ... it can't be used with a Roady (unless heavily hacked)

I have the 376c on my RT and there is no discount for the music + WX. The music is 6.95 per month (family discount) plus the 30.00 per month for the 'sailor' WX package. I had hoped to get them to waive the 50.00 initialation fee for the WX but nooooo. So I figured I would give it a try anyway. If they allow me to 'suspend' the WX during the winter months I may keep it, otherwise after this summer I won't bother, too much money for some pretty pictures, and the 'gee-wizz' effect wears off pretty quick.

The unit is nice, quite happy overall, with the 512mg card and a 256mg as a back-up I have all the coverage I need.

The mounting is the biggest challenge. I should take a picture or two and post it. Worked out pretty good for me.

Jim

Captain_Pat

Nice, where did you find the mounting piece that fits on the top clamp between the handle bars?

Your post has caused me to rethink the 376, maybe a 276 will do just fine

Pat: I have a 376 on my R1150RT. I use a Touratech mount, and keep the xm antenna on the dash shelf. As I use XM at home, in three cars, and my boat, having xm in the garmin was a big draw when it came time to buy a new gps for the bike.

In some ways, the Roady is a better for XM than the 376, and you can get them for under $30 delivered on ebay - I bought two recently. The Roady's display the song info. The 376 will display it, but not on a map page, which of course is the page I always use. Also, the Roadys use an antenna that is about 1/4 the size of the garmin xm unit. The Roadys also have station preset buttons, which the garmin does not.

The Roady's display the song info. The 376 will display it, but not on a map page, which of course is the page I always use.
Au contraire, mon ami:

XM.gif

The "No XM Antenna" message would, with an antenna attached (wasn't when this cap was taken), display the song name as it changes. Your description would fall under the category of "failed user implementation."

OP should also have a look at the Garmin 378 ($975) which includes City Navigator preloaded.

Captain_Pat

I saw the 378, do you know what storage media they use to store the map data on? OTOH they want an additional $250 for the XM antenna ooo.gif

Can't say for sure, but from the specs there are three memory options (1) the built-in maps (2) a port for Garmin proprietary cards and (3) a port for Garmin proprietary prerecorded SD cards.

(2) is the standard 512MB (or 256MB, or 128MB) card that maps can be loaded onto at will, while (3) is their new plug-and-play format.

The ~$175 or so delta between 378 and 376C is probably attributable to the maps coming pre-loaded, not the GXM 30 antenna.

Captain_Pat

I think you are right about the price difference probably attributable to the loaded maps, so the 376 plus the auto nav kit is about the same as a 378. However, and maybe I'm misreading the Garmin site but I thought the XM antenna came with the 376, while for the 378 it's an extra $250.

Do you know if the 378 is using a hard drive for the pre-loaded maps--Garmin doesn't say? I guess whatever they are using if it's designed to put up with a boating environment it's probably going to be okay on a motorcycle wink.gif

However, and maybe I'm misreading the Garmin site but I thought the XM antenna came with the 376, while for the 378 it's an extra $250.

No, it looks like you're right ... I'm surprised that it's not included with a package approaching $1000.

The street price on the antenna is closer to $210, if that makes any difference. That's up from $189 late last year.

The Roady's display the song info. The 376 will display it, but not on a map page, which of course is the page I always use.
Au contraire, mon ami:

The "No XM Antenna" message would, with an antenna attached (wasn't when this cap was taken), display the song name as it changes. Your description would fall under the category of "failed user implementation."

OP should also have a look at the Garmin 378 ($975) which includes City Navigator preloaded.

Cool; I'll try to get my display to do that. Every once in a while there is a song on Deep Tracks that I don't recognize.

Where did you get that ball mount that sits on the triple tree? I really like this GPS mount. It looks like you have a 3" extension on it?

Captain_Pat

Garmin told me that the pre-loaded maps were stored on solid state memory and could be updated either via the USB cable or from a data card. Additionally the data card can be used to add maps, for example Europe if needed.

I couldn't find anything out there that would put the Garmin SECURELY where I wanted it, so I designed the mount and a friend machined it from billet aluminum. It works very well. No vibration, I can reach it, and my bi-focal eyes can see it at a glance. Plus it isn't in my line of sight for the bumpers in front of me thumbsup.gif.

Jim

Archived