IGNORED

Ear Plugs

Lawman

I'm looking for some comfortable , effective ear plugs..Wondering if anyone has used the ones made of bee's wax by World's Finest Ear Plugs? The are rated NRR 34...Other suggestions appreciated..

I have some molded speaker ear plugs that are great but don't really want to go through the hassle of making molds again and having to send them off..

Thanks

I bought some of these several years ago. They are very comfortable but do not seal as well as foam plugs. It really depends on how much air is coming around your face/helmet. When I had my RT with a big, Cee Bailey windshield, they were just fine but now that I'm riding a R1150R with a Cee Bailey and a laminar lip, enough air still gets around the shield to be annoying unless I use the foam plugs.

I would buy a small supply and try them. If you like them, you can always buy more.

Wondering if anyone has used the ones made of bee's wax by World's Finest Ear Plugs? The are rated NRR 34...Other suggestions appreciated..

I tried the bee's wax plugs and found that during warm/hot weather the wax will get very soft, stick to my fingers and generally be very messy.

I now use Hearos soft foam plugs. 32dB noise reduction. I pay $5 for 16.

Lawman, I bought several different samples from Aerostich over the winter to try.

One pair is from Etymotic Research and I believe they're musician's plugs. A little uncomfortable at first, I'm now riding three, four, five hours continuously and I can hardly feel them.

They are quiet beyond belief and have their own neat little storage pouch. www.etymotic.com

Be safe out there.

Rick

Dave_Armstrong

Greetings,

I use ear plugs at work, Truck Driver, and find the ones shapped like a little triple stacked yellow umbrella are very comfortable and do a good job. They take a little time to 'wear in' but I use a set for several months before considering replacement. Also, they are inexpensive.

They also work very well on the bike. I store them in the tank bag in a 35mm film container.

Good Luck,,,,Dave

I use ones designed for swimming that also look like the triple stack umbrellas that Dave described. Fast/easy insert and removal. Comfortable and last a long time.

Everybody's ears and what is comfortable for them is different.

Go to www.earplugstore.com and order one of their trial variety packs. You get a couple pairs of a bunch of different ones. Try until you find you like.

My brother used to wear earplugs all the time at work till he ended up with an ear problem. He has since switched to external ear muffs; not an option with a helmet. Has anybody developed fungal or other problems from earplugs? Also I have a Schuberth C2 and it is pretty muffled in there; even though I don't like the remaining wind noise I don't want to loose any more awareness of the surounding sounds. To bad there isn't a speed variable noise muffler.

Everybody's ears and what is comfortable for them is different.

Go to www.earplugstore.com and order one of their trial variety packs. You get a couple pairs of a bunch of different ones. Try until you find you like.

Nice! I ordered one of their trial packs. Gonna test a bit. Thanks for the site.

James

I talked to Arizona Al earlier today and he told me if I would come to Torrey he would make me some custom molded plugs for fifty bucks..Guess I'm gonna have to make the trip..Darn postage is just too costly. smirk.gif

I lost one of my custom plugs. Instead I bought another box of 200 disposables. I'm torn. The custom ones seemed to be great when I first got them, but the foam ones (MaxLite's for me) seem more comfortable and maybe seal better...??

And if I loose these I'm out a few cents...

I lost one of my custom plugs. Instead I bought another box of 200 disposables. I'm torn. The custom ones seemed to be great when I first got them, but the foam ones (MaxLite's for me) seem more comfortable and maybe seal better...??

And if I loose these I'm out a few cents...

The noise seal on a custom plug is dependant on the depth of the impression used to make the plug. It needs to be fairly deep in your ear to make an effective seal. The foam plugs should be inserted deep also, the outside should be almost flush with the ear canal opening, not sticking out like "Frankenstein electrodes".

A custom mold is a fairly solid item. Comfort is largely dependent on having no interference from your helmet with your ear.

HTH.

Bob, how much/often do people's ears change shape? At all?

Al did mine some time back, they were pretty deep and worked well. I did trim some on the outside for a better fit.

I do make sure the foams go in deep like they should.

WeirdHarold
My brother used to wear earplugs all the time at work till he ended up with an ear problem. He has since switched to external ear muffs; not an option with a helmet. Has anybody developed fungal or other problems from earplugs? Also I have a Schuberth C2 and it is pretty muffled in there; even though I don't like the remaining wind noise I don't want to loose any more awareness of the surounding sounds. To bad there isn't a speed variable noise muffler.

I got an ear infection from my hearing aids a few years ago. VERY uncomfortable! Some prescription eardrops cleared it up in a couple of days.

I never want to have that problem again. So any time I begin to feel a little pain, I smear a bit of over-the-counter antiseptic ointment on my hearing aid or earplug. (I use the disposable urethane foam plugs)

A bit of trivia: Cerumen, commonly known as Ear Wax, acts as a mild antibiotic.

Don

The only hard numbers are from hearing aid users. They generally go 5-7 years with the same fit.

Be aware that weight gain or loss can effect the shape of your ear canal, as little as 10 lbs.

For some of us, the ear canal changes at the same rate your 'stich shrinks in the closet.......

I've been using " Moldex Rockets " for several years (well, not the same pair! grin.gif). They are very soft silicone "mushroom style" and do a superb job. If you buy 3 pairs, they are $2/pair. One feature I like is they have a stem on them with a hard plastic insert (that part never goes in your ear) which gives you a good finger hold for yanking them out. Each pair come with a small plastic protective case. They come in corded or uncorded. I usually get a whole seaon out of a pair if I don't loose them or stuff them into a jacket pocket and forget where thay are. Can't be beat for the job they do and the cost! I talk on a a way radio in the helmet much of the time while riding and no problem hearing that... they just deaden the wind and other ambient noise.

"If you buy 3 pairs, they are $2/pair"

How can I get 3 pair for $6.00 ? I saw no discount listed for buying three pair..

Joe Frickin' Friday

I had custom earplugs, didn't like them. Went back to the Max Leights (go to www.mcmaster.com, search for 54725T32 ). Bring a fistful on a trip, use a new set each day; easier than trying to re-sanitize custom plugs every morning. And you don't cry when you lose 'em. thumbsup.gif

Mitch. Howard Leight is the maker, they sell a model the "MAX", orange lbm10543z.jpg, what you listed from McMaster. They have the same model in the "USA" series (red/white/blue).

There are also the MaxLite's which are green lbm15251.jpg

I get mine here if nothing else it's interesting to see all the different types. some that have metal imbedded so they can be detected in food service operations. Others in high-viz colors.

And you don't cry when you lose 'em.

I didn't cry. But I am tempted to list the lone one in the classifides...just to see what happens. smile.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mitch. Howard Leight is the maker, they sell a model the "MAX", orange lbm10543z.jpg, what you listed from McMaster. They have the same model in the "USA" series (red/white/blue).

There are also the MaxLite's which are green lbm15251.jpg

Ah. Couldn't remember the exact name, just knew it had "Leight" and "Max" in there somehow. crazy.gif

I didn't cry. But I am tempted to list the lone one in the classifides...just to see what happens. smile.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif "The Van Gogh Special" dopeslap.gif

Just when I decide I'll get the custom earplugs I hear some saying they didn't like the customs as well..I just assumed the custom fit plugs would be better..Now I'm not so sure...Thanks for the replies...

Just when I decide I'll get the custom earplugs I hear some saying they didn't like the customs as well..I just assumed the custom fit plugs would be better..Now I'm not so sure...Thanks for the replies...

I got custom ones made at the MOA rally in Lima last July, and I really like them. I used disposable ones before that. I find the custom ones fit better and much easier/faster to put in, especially later in the day when the foam ones seemed to have gotten "spongy" and harder to compress for inserting into the ear. I wash them off fairly regulary, but that's fast and easy.

much easier/faster to put in

Agreed.

For shooting sports they rock over foamies. But I prefer earmuffs there for the ease of on/off.

On the bike, I'm finding it's not that big of a deal. When they get old and mushy, throw them away.

I'm torn.

I hope to go to Torrey and get Arizona Al to make me some there..I think they will be easier, quicker and more comfortable on long days...

I have a pair each of speaker and non-speaker ones from Az Al. They are good. However, I also go through a few dozen Leigh Lites each year because they are a bit less noticeable.

because they are a bit less noticeable.

Less noticeable?? Are the ear plug police lurking out there where I can't (hear?) see them ?? Who notices them to the point where you are troubled by it grin.gifeek.gifgrin.gif

Jim

How can I get 3 pair for $6.00 ? I saw no discount listed for buying three pair..

Sorry, it appears their price changed. I found them here by doing the most basic google search for Moldex Rockets. They list there at $1.49/pair, corded or uncorded. Hard to beat...

I tried to get a custom pair molded at a motorcycle show recently. The first try wouldn't seal well so the owner of the company tried the second time and they still didn't seal well. I've always been an athlete and don't have alot of body fat.

I say this because he told me the only other people he couldn't fit were triatheletes. Apparently my ears aren't fat enough!

Anyway the best plugs I've found are the Flents ear stopples.

Bill

2004 R1150RT

Actually, I looked at my new stich catalog last night and they were clearly printed at $6 for 3 pairs (uncorded), but it doesn't seem to say that on the website. You could probably call them and order for that price.

Archived