IGNORED

Help me get my 12K maintenance list from the manual CD!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

I confess to not riding very much in recent years.  I did the 42K service back in 2015, and I've been riding so little then that it's only now time for the 48K service.  

I tossed the service manual disc into the computer, and now I'm trying to coax it into telling me what I need to do to the bike.  I know the basics - valves, TBS, final brake bleed, final drive/gearbox/engine oil change.  But do I need to change the alt belt?  What about the throttle cables?  

The challenge is this: in the service manual software, it's asking me to specify my bike's construction status and optional extras.  It's a 2009 R1200RT, purchased in April 2009, so I went with this:

Construction status January 2008

ESA

cruise control

heated grips

seat heat

(I don't have the anti-theft alarm, radio, or TPMS.)

It says "there are two or more variant matches for the information you selected.  Select a construction status or optional extras to view vehicle-specific documentation."

It won't let me click on the "View vehicle-specific documentation" button until I can uniquely identify my variant, and I can't seem to come up with any combination of optional extras that achieves that.  

Someone toss me a clue?

The program has changed a little over the years, so what I see might be different than your version.

It usually works best to identify your bike with the last seven characters of your VIN. 

Or  use Type no. 0388 and verify that the correct EUR/USA button is filled.

If you did the alternator belt at 36K it's probably ok, however you might check its' condition to make sure the mice didn't eat. 

You might want to check the throttle bodies to see the condition of the plastic cams/pulleys. LINK

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
3 hours ago, LBump said:

If you did the alternator belt at 36K it's probably ok, however you might check its' condition to make sure the mice didn't eat. 

You might want to check the throttle bodies to see the condition of the plastic cams/pulleys. LINK

I was finally able to get into the manuals by specifying "Baseline construction status.'  I assumed I had changed the belt at 36K because that's what I saw on this Contitech belt listing on Amazon.  But the manual says change every 24K, so it's almost certain that I changed it at 24K, and so I will swap it out again this time.

The maintence/inspection lists call for gearbox oil change at 24K intervals, but don't mention the final drive.  I recall changing the FD oil before, probably at 24K with the gearbox.  So it seems like it ought to be done again.  I had to look up the specs in the "repair" section of the manual, where it says to fill with 0.22L of oil, but I remember years ago that people here were advising using less than this.  I can't remember if the revised amount was 150 mL or 180mL.  Can someone advise?

6 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I was finally able to get into the manuals by specifying "Baseline construction status.'  I assumed I had changed the belt at 36K because that's what I saw on this Contitech belt listing on Amazon.  But the manual says change every 24K, so it's almost certain that I changed it at 24K, and so I will swap it out again this time.

The maintence/inspection lists call for gearbox oil change at 24K intervals, but don't mention the final drive.  I recall changing the FD oil before, probably at 24K with the gearbox.  So it seems like it ought to be done again.  I had to look up the specs in the "repair" section of the manual, where it says to fill with 0.22L of oil, but I remember years ago that people here were advising using less than this.  I can't remember if the revised amount was 150 mL or 180mL.  Can someone advise?

Evening Mitch

180mL for a change only. (I usually allow to drain overnight so all comes out)

I usually change the final drive gear oil with a tire change as the rear wheel should be removed to access the final drive fill plug. It takes such a small amount of gear oil that I usually do it with each rear tire change.