Mike

Driftin' - June 11 - 14, 2020 (SW Wisconsin)

John Ranalletta
38 minutes ago, Mike said:

That would be a great addition! Don’t put yourself out if it’s a problem, but I’m sure it would be appreciated by the Drifters. 

I’ll pm my address for samples.  

• Like 1

Rider1260

Well that's reasonably close to home and roads I've ridden a few time. 

It would be my first group ride in along time. 

Bud
On 10/30/2019 at 8:23 PM, John Ranalletta said:

I’ll pm my address for samples.  

Still waiting for that address!:whistle:

KDeline

:5146:

Stir

Tentatively in.

Where would be a convenient place to fly my wife in?  She doesn't have the vacation time, nor the desire to ride that far. (About 4000 miles round trip)

Mike

Glad to hear that! The closest regional airport is Dubuque, IA, about 60 miles. Madison, WI ( I believe they refer to it as Dane County) is around 100 miles. Both have some commercial flights, but it would be a regional carrier. If she’s more the type to want to go in and out of a larger airport, both Minneapolis-St. Paul and Chicago O’Hare are roughly equidistant, just a bit over 200 miles. 

3Putt

I'm just 150 miles SE of there, in Rockford, IL.  I plan on wondering up that way for a couple of days. 

If anyone flying in or riding through needs help or advice feel free to ask.  

• Like 1

jeddy
On 11/12/2019 at 7:57 AM, Mike said:

Glad to hear that! The closest regional airport is Dubuque, IA, about 60 miles. Madison, WI ( I believe they refer to it as Dane County) is around 100 miles. Both have some commercial flights, but it would be a regional carrier. If she’s more the type to want to go in and out of a larger airport, both Minneapolis-St. Paul and Chicago O’Hare are roughly equidistant, just a bit over 200 miles. 

Mike...don't forget Lacrosse.  About 60 miles or so.  American connects out of Chicago and Delta out of Minneapolis.  Hope to make the event!  A short ride for me since I am just up the river from you.

Mike
2 hours ago, jeddy said:

Mike...don't forget Lacrosse.  About 60 miles or so.  American connects out of Chicago and Delta out of Minneapolis.  Hope to make the event!  A short ride for me since I am just up the river from you.

Thanks! That would be a good option. I haven’t been to the airport, but La Crosse is roughly an hour away. 

RPondaRoad
On 9/4/2019 at 9:18 AM, Mike said:

As long as I’m inundating everyone with information about the area, this documentary gives a good overview: Mysteries of the Driftless

I'm among those who had no idea that the Driftless existed or what it was.  The video cleared that up pretty well.  Effigy mounds were the biggest surprise for me.  Once upon a time I was a young west coast musician, who traveled the U.S.  While on the road I worked at a nightclub/restaurant called Fanny Hill in Eu Claire a couple of times.  I wish I had known how close I was to this geological treasure.. 

• Like 1

BrianM

Eau Claire.

I might make it. 3 hours away. Depends upon the kids volleyball schedule.

• Like 2

Mike
On 11/23/2019 at 11:58 AM, RPondaRoad said:

I'm among those who had no idea that the Driftless existed or what it was.  The video cleared that up pretty well.  Effigy mounds were the biggest surprise for me.  Once upon a time I was a young west coast musician, who traveled the U.S.  While on the road I worked at a nightclub/restaurant called Fanny Hill in Eu Claire a couple of times.  I wish I had known how close I was to this geological treasure.. 

It is an interesting area. Anyone coming from the flatlands that dominate the Midwest tends to be a bit surprised by the ridges and valleys that define the area. For those on two wheels, the unique geology has created a fantastic place for riding--thousands of miles of twisty roads that are, generally speaking, lightly traveled. The natural assets, ranging from miles and miles of spring-fed streams to the vast number of unique plant and animal species, adds to it all.

The effigy mounds are pretty fascinating as well...the alternate campsite, Wyalusing State Park, has a nice trail where you can see a fair number, and Effigy Mounds National Monument, an easy ride from our place, is even more impressive.

• Like 2