IGNORED

WTB Cylinder Guards 12 R1200RT

Sharkey

I think this is the last accessory I am looking for to finish out the 2012 RT I bought couple months ago.   Shipping would be to 76112.   I see the guards on Ebay but don't know the quality of the items.   
Thanks.

I bought these and they are great. Took 6 days from China. I was actually amazed at how nice they are. Very high quality stainless bolts. Frankly I was expecting it to be crap but I was more than wrong. Literally about 1/3 the price and probably made in the same factory as the name-brand item. Nice plus is that you can get the side fairings off for regular maintenance without having to remove the bars.

Engine Guards

Are you looking for cylinder guards or crash bars?   If cylinder guards on the RT I really like my MachineArtMoto's   The are well made (in the USA .... there are lots of Chinese knockoffs but I try and keep away from them as much as possible ... not easy)  and for me they will do exactly what I need them to do  .... protect my valve covers in case of a tip over. 

https://machineartmoto.com/r1200rt/2014-rt_lc/x-head_lc/

3XH-AV-RT-710x320.jpg

If looking for Crash Bars most guys seem to like the Illium Works.  I only have the rear Illium bars but the fronts look pretty well made as well and again made in the USA and supporting a local company. 

47537500030-250D.jpg

Illiums are nice but I think the point of posting a WTB here is to not have to pay $500 for a welded tube assembly. The ones I listed are brand new, fit perfectly, and do work as intended as demonstrated by a low speed drop I had. Seriously, why pay so much? I'm OK with paying more to get a supposedly made-in-the-USA (more likely sold in the US, made in China) but not 2 1/2 times for the same welded assembly.

11 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

Illiums are nice but I think the point of posting a WTB here is to not have to pay $500 for a welded tube assembly. The ones I listed are brand new, fit perfectly, and do work as intended as demonstrated by a low speed drop I had. Seriously, why pay so much? I'm OK with paying more to get a supposedly made-in-the-USA (more likely sold in the US, made in China) but not 2 1/2 times for the same welded assembly.

You are right on track.  I saw the Illiums stuff and the OEM stuff.  I am sure they are nice but too pricey for me.  I am looking for the cylinder protectors more than the engine guards.  Not opposed to Chinese stuff since I actually have about 15-20 Chinese Clone knives and with the exception of one, they have all been well made.  If nothing turns up in a couple days, I will just order some off flea bay.

I just took the RT to the gym tonight and it is TX Hot.  I added a low seat on mine and now thinking I might need to cut the windshield down.  I did it on the last one I owned and it turned out ok.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Sharkey said:

You are right on track.  I saw the Illiums stuff and the OEM stuff.  I am sure they are nice but too pricey for me.  I am looking for the cylinder protectors more than the engine guards.  Not opposed to Chinese stuff since I actually have about 15-20 Chinese Clone knives and with the exception of one, they have all been well made.  If nothing turns up in a couple days, I will just order some off flea bay.

I just took the RT to the gym tonight and it is TX Hot.  I added a low seat on mine and now thinking I might need to cut the windshield down.  I did it on the last one I owned and it turned out ok.

Thanks.

If looking for cylinder guards the MachineArtMotos are hard to beat.  You can certainly get chinese knockoffs of them but I just prefer to avoid the Chinese stuff.