IGNORED

Alternator failure

basilr

In June, I just got home from a ride and my red warning light came on along with the battery symbol on the display. Battery voltage at rest was 12.4 volts and dropping.

I had to get a new alternator delivered from Germany - $1411 CAD plus hourly rate etc. My RT had 136000+kms on it at the time. Not only that, but to get the old alternator out, the dealer had to find an alternator rewind shop that had the tool they needed. That part of the repair, finding the tool, using it and returning it, cost me another $100 bucks. No complaints about the work though, just an expensive re and re for a part that the dealer had only seen fail once before.

I guess there is not such thing as a cheap hobby.

Ouch! Next time, try an independent mechanic that does not have to use BMW parts. www.euromotoelectrics.com has new and remanufactured alternators from the original manufucturers for $175-280(US). Includes the pulley, which BMW does not. I suspect the rented tool was to transfer the pulley.

37 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Ouch! Next time, try an independent mechanic that does not have to use BMW parts. www.euromotoelectrics.com has new and remanufactured alternators from the original manufucturers for $175-280(US). Includes the pulley, which BMW does not. I suspect the rented tool was to transfer the pulley.

Afternoon Larry

Some of the 2005 1200RT's had the over-running clutch alternators (probably the reason that dealer had to borrow the correct tool to replace alternator).

It doesn't look like euromotoelectrics lists that alternator/67m pulley combination.

Even so I think the alternator shafts are the same so the old over-running pulley should transfer over.

1200RT alternator.jpg

Delving deeper, I see that the alternator is listed (12 31 7 676 907 per Max BMW fiche), but euromotoelectrics  does say that a pulley change is needed with the clutch pulley.

RepROM shows a spline socket and lever to change the clutch pulley. Considering how seldom an alternator fails, and the apparently short time BMW used that pulley, it may make sense that the dealer did not have the tool.

I wonder if any other parts were changed when BMW switched to the solid pulley? Maybe the free-wheel clutch is unnecessary?

pulley.jpg

17 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Delving deeper, I see that the alternator is listed (12 31 7 676 907 per Max BMW fiche), but euromotoelectrics  does say that a pulley change is needed with the clutch pulley.

RepROM shows a spline socket and lever to change the clutch pulley. Considering how seldom an alternator fails, and the apparently short time BMW used that pulley, it may make sense that the dealer did not have the tool.

I wonder if any other parts were changed when BMW switched to the solid pulley? Maybe the free-wheel clutch is unnecessary?

Afternoon Larry

The over-running clutch isn't used on the GS or R with the 40 amp alternator. (less rotor spinning weight).

You could  probably get away with a fixed pulley on the 55 amp RT alternator but the belt would probably have to sized correctly as the 55 amp alternator over-running clutch pulley is a slightly different size (67m pulley). The OEM sized stretch belt might work or might not (I haven't ever tried it on a 1200 bike).

I don't understand the special tool deal as most (well equipped) REAL auto parts stores have the pulley spline holding tool as some autos use the same over-running pulley design. Most will either change the pulley for you or loan/rent the tool).