IGNORED

Completed 1st tune up. (Self Five)

MBrockman5

I just did my own very first tune up on my 2007 RT... 

New Mahle Air filter.

NGK Laser Platinum "Primary Plugs" (7415)

NGK Copper "Secondary Plugs" (7168)

Oil change w/. Lucas 20w50 and K&N oil filter.

I know it's a little petty and all minor stuff, but I had to "ePat" myself on the back. It's satisfying doing my own work on my first BMW bike, and being able to get to know my bike makes me a little more confident for future repairs/service.

I don't think the bottom secondary plugs have ever been replaced, but I'm not sure...

(-Note to self: 105° temp in the garage is NOT ideal conditions. 🥵)

20190813_164336.jpg

• Like 2

That's a good start! It's normal for the lower plugs to be darker, as revs increase their timing becomes different than the center plugs.

When the weather cools, and your finger heals, tackle some more of the items on the list. We can probably help if you have questions.

R1200RT - 0388 Maintenance.pdf

Hey Larry

Good job on the bike.  :18:

Gotta start somewhere. How long did it take?   I've had mine for over a month now and still haven't started on the maintenance, too many other projects to work on.   Maybe this weekend.

My name is Mike. But I do have a couple relatives named Larry.

It took me a few hours. Next time it'll be faster. I just wanted to take my time and go slowly on something new like this. Plus, with it being as hot as it was, I took some breaks throughout. 

Ikraus, is that attachment supposed to have links to different things, or is it just a list of various service items and their corresponding mileages?

On 8/13/2019 at 6:26 PM, lkraus said:

That's a good start! It's normal for the lower plugs to be darker, as revs increase their timing becomes different than the center plugs.

When the weather cools, and your finger heals, tackle some more of the items on the list. We can probably help if you have questions.

R1200RT - 0388 Maintenance.pdf 90.8 kB · 9 downloads

It's a list printed from the BMW repair DVD. The links are only to the procedures on the DVD; but I thought it would show you what other items will need attention.

Brockman.   Getting thru your 1st service and all the Tupperware removal is always memorable. Keeping your sanity with all the hexhead sizes/locations?....welcome to the club.:bike: