IGNORED

07 RT...How many plugs?

MBrockman5

This is my first BMW. I'm going to be doing it's first tune up and I'm a little lost on one simple thing... Plug quantity...

How many plugs are on these bikes? I've heard there are 2 and I've heard there are 4. 

I know there's one in each head cover, but I've also read that there are 2 "secondary" plugs under the bottom of each cylinder head.. 

10 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

Ok. Thank you. 

Looks like I'll be making a trip to AutoZone in the morning to see if they have any in stock. 

Morning MBrockman5   

You DO have a 2007 1200RT correct ?

If you have a 2007 hexhead bike then you will probably have a problem finding the proper NGK DCPR 8 EKC spark plug at your local auto parts store. BMW is very creative (crafty) in specifying replacement parts that are NOT  common or easy to find in the aftermarket (like NGK DCPR 8 EKC spark plugs). Those spark plugs from a BMW dealer are very expensive (because they can).

My personal favorite spark plug for the 1200 hexhead engine are the NGK DCPR 8 EKP, those are very similar to the OEM dual electrode spark plugs with a slightly different  (& better according to my NGK rep) electrode material. Same heat range & same thread exposure. The NGK DCPR8EKP are quite a bit cheaper than the BMW OEM NGK DCPR 8 EKC as you don't need to buy through the BMW dealer. You can usually  find  the  NGK DCPR8EKP  at some auto parts stores or usually find both the  "OEM"  NGK DCPR 8 EKC or the NGK DCPR 8 EKP  on-line at places like Amazon (personally I don't trust E-Bay cheap spark plugs as some are known to be knock-off's, especially in the Bosch brand) 

On the BMW hexhead you not only need to watch plug thread size, electrode length, heat range, etc but have to make sure that the plug hex size will fit in the engine as a larger hex won't fit.

The  Bosch YR5LDE is also a BMW accepted replacement (according the service manual) but I don't see those as original in many engines.

The NGK DCPR 8 EKP is listed for 12.73 for one and 36 for four on amazon.  From what I read you need to be careful popping the wires off as things may have gotten brittle and dry and if the previous mechanic didnt put any grease on the boot.  They also use BMW's version of coil on plug, and if you break one of those, stand by with your credit card for some heavy rolls.

I'm still waiting on doing my big maintenance event on my new to me '09, I may look at pulling one of the plugs on either side to see how they look.   

1 hour ago, EvilTwin said:

The NGK DCPR 8 EKP is listed for 12.73 for one and 36 for four on amazon.  From what I read you need to be careful popping the wires off as things may have gotten brittle and dry and if the previous mechanic didnt put any grease on the boot.  They also use BMW's version of coil on plug, and if you break one of those, stand by with your credit card for some heavy rolls.

I'm still waiting on doing my big maintenance event on my new to me '09, I may look at pulling one of the plugs on either side to see how they look.   

Morning EvilTwin

It is easy to break a stick coil due to being heavy handed with the wire pig tail removal or in actual coil removal. That is why (personally) I don't unplug the wire pig tail on older hexhead bikes, or use any sort of dedicated coil remover (coil damager) tool.

If a coil removal tool, string method, or the like is used then you 'must' unplug the coil pig tail wire first or there is great risk of damage when the coil jumps free.

I simply pad the outer edge of the upper spark plug hole then use 2 screw drivers in the coil slots using the outer edge of the plug hole as a fulcrum to gently pry the coil out.  (using this method the coil usually slides off the spark plug slowly & slides out smoothly & very controlled).

The lower coils can be a pain no matter how you do it but I can usually grab them with my hand then twist enough to break the boot loose on the spark plug porcelain, then pull them free.

Definitely use a little spark plug dielectric grease at re-assembly.

Also note: there is a slightly different torque requirement on the  Bosh vs the NGK spark plugs___

NGK DCPR8EKC (DCPR8EKP)  is   23 Nm

Bosch YR5LDE                             is   20 Nm

10 minutes ago, Dann said:

These work too: NGK DCPR8EIX (iridiun)

I've been using them on my 07 for years

YMMV

Afternoon Dann

Yes, those do fit & do seem to work  but they are only a single electrode plug that NGK doesn't list as a replacement for the BMW 1200  (NGK does list them for some 800's & some 1300 bikes though).  (.032" electrode gap vs a .035" electrode gap).

Same resistance as the NGK DCPR8EKP & NGK DCPR8EKC but they extend slightly farther into the combustion chamber so end up closer to the piston top.

Years ago I was going to try those (even bought a set) but I did clay test for piston clearance & while they cleared the piston I was a little hesitant to run them due to the electrode closer to the piston top as  I really push my motorcycle engines hard.

I realized the scarcity of plugs available for these bikes this morning. I got to take my 10 y.o. daughter for a ride around town for her birthday, so that was nice but still came home empty handed. 

I ended up ordering 2 "NGK DCPR 8 EKP" (laser platinum) on Amazon which will get here tomorrow. 

Since I already have 2 of the NGK 7168 plugs (copper), I'm going to use those for the bottom/secondary plugs and use the "Platinum's" for the upper/primary plugs. 

I figured since the only difference is the Platinum & Copper electrode, I should be fine with 2 "different" plugs. I'll just check them periodically... 

I've heard/read some positive reviews of the E3 (E3.36) plugs in a Hexhead RT - though they only list these plugs for the K1200LT :dontknow:

On 8/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Dann

Yes, those do fit & do seem to work  but they are only a single electrode plug that NGK doesn't list as a replacement for the BMW 1200  (NGK does list them for some 800's & some 1300 bikes though).  (.032" electrode gap vs a .035" electrode gap).

Same resistance as the NGK DCPR8EKP & NGK DCPR8EKC but they extend slightly farther into the combustion chamber so end up closer to the piston top.

Years ago I was going to try those (even bought a set) but I did clay test for piston clearance & while they cleared the piston I was a little hesitant to run them due to the electrode closer to the piston top as  I really push my motorcycle engines hard.

Hi DR

I'm not a racer but I keep the engine at 4000 + RPM all the time with no issue. (5000 is usually the shift indicator ;) ) in twisties I can go up to 6K

AFAIK even if there's two electrodes there's only one spark. It goes to the closest one.

They should be the same lenght That's what the  'E' stands for. ie:19.0mm (see attached code description)

I didn't notice any difference between the OEM plugs and the iridium plugs (Except for he price...)

YMMV

OEM VS Iridium Plugs at 40,000km

Spark_Plugs_40000km_1.jpg

Spark_Plugs_40000km_2.jpg

Spark_Plugs_40000km_3.jpg

Spark_Plugs_40000km_4.jpg

ngk_zuendkerzen_code_en.pdf

13 minutes ago, Dann said:

I'm not a racer but I keep the engine at 4000 + RPM all the time with no issue. (5000 is usually the shift indicator ;) ) in twisties I can go up to 6K

AFAIK even if there's two electrodes there's only one spark. It goes to the closest one.

Morning Dann

The spark doesn't always go to the closest one (smallest electrode gap). The spark goes to the electrode that has the lowest breakdown voltage. That CAN be the closest one but doesn't need to be as it depends on the breakdown voltage of whatever is 'in' the electrode gap so within reason the spark would usually go to the electrode that has the lowest breakdown voltage or has more fuel or conductivity in the electrode gap.

2 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Dann

The spark doesn't always go to the closest one (smallest electrode gap). The spark goes to the electrode that has the lowest breakdown voltage. That CAN be the closest one but doesn't need to be as it depends on the breakdown voltage of whatever is 'in' the electrode gap so within reason the spark would usually go to the electrode that has the lowest breakdown voltage or has more fuel or conductivity in the electrode gap.

Hi DR

Thanks for the precision.

As you can see, I'm no mechanic.

The Iridium plugs look much better than the OEM after 40K km. (If this means anything...)

On 8/12/2019 at 10:09 AM, Dann said:

These work too: NGK DCPR8EIX (iridiun)

I've been using them on my 07 for years

YMMV

I just ordered a set of these off Amazon for 25 and change.  These were also listed on beemerboneyard for the R1200 for '09.