IGNORED

BMW Hit with Class Action Lawsuit

Endobob

20 minutes ago, Endobobdds said:

Just saw this on Adventure Rider:  BMW Motorcycle Lawsuit  -  Very interesting discussion of the proposed lawsuit that relates to faulty gear shift indicators.

I am interested in our BMWST Board members thoughts on this.    

Evening  Endobobdds

I don't know, seems like a minor thing compared to the well known  ABS issues on the 1150 bike that left the rider with very little braking, HES problems on the 1100 bikes that left bike dead  on a busy hiway,   final drive issues that dumped gear oil all over the rear tire, drive shafts breaking & stranding the bike, 1200 throttle body cams breaking that dropped the engine to idle in the L/H lane of 4 lane freeway.

I have ridden so many motorcycles that never even had a gear position indicator or neutral safety switch so  that it isn't such a big of a deal to me.  

In one way I hope he wins the case as that might make BMW pay more attention to known issues, well known  blatant defects,   & finally address outstanding customer complaints.

• Like 4

I'm with DR on this one.  Seems like there are plenty of other known issues on those vintage bikes that are of way more importance.

From the article...

As a result, Casey says the defective gear indicator:

• impedes him from properly judging accelerating power and torque delivery;  
  • places the motorcycle in incorrect gear while on cruise control;
  • reduces gas mileage;
  • causes “excessive strain” on the motor among other things.

I don't see any "safety" issues in the list, so I doubt it gets legs.  Plus, If it's perfectly OK to simply not have a gear indicator (like my old VStar), probably a tough sell.

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Evening  Endobobdds

I don't know, seems like a minor thing compared to the well known  ABS issues on the 1150 bike that left the rider with very little braking, HES problems on the 1100 bikes that left bike dead  on a busy hiway,   final drive issues that dumped gear oil all over the rear tire, drive shafts breaking & stranding the bike, 1200 throttle body cams breaking that dropped the engine to idle in the L/H lane of 4 lane freeway.

I have ridden so many motorcycles that never even had a gear position indicator or neutral safety switch so  that it isn't such a big of a deal to me.  

In one way I hope he wins the case as that might make BMW pay more attention to known issues, well known  blatant defects,   & finally address outstanding customer complaints.

Don't forget leaking input shaft seal on LT's that prematurely takes out your clutch and is at least a $1500 repair bill.

John Ranalletta
31 minutes ago, powwow said:

Don't forget leaking input shaft seal on LT's that prematurely takes out your clutch and is at least a $1500 repair bill.

The lawyers will get millions and owners will get a certificate for $20 off the first $5,000 they buy in BMW gear.

• Like 3

Yeah .... this is just plain CRAZY!   Claiming that the gear indicator not working as designed put the rider at risk!   That's like saying heated grips did not work and I got frost bite and need to sue for my damages. !! 

• Haha 1

I got my first motorbike in the 60's.  I don't know how many bikes I've had but it is a bunch from Penton, Sears, Honda, Hodaka, Yami, BMW and even a home made bike using a twingle mounted to a Schwinn.  The very first bike I owned with a gear indicator was a brand new R1150RT in 2005.  I'm amazed I survived all those years and all those bikes not being able to see what gear I was in versus understanding the rev of the engine.  Heck even on my LC I rarely look at it.  I mostly look at it if Im on a long highway trip to make sure I am in 6th to get good mileage.

By the way...the gear indicator on my 1150 was very flaky when it was raining...it worked as designed  after it had dried out for a few days....learned that trick on this board from DR some years ago.  

My cars don't have gear indicators other that D and M....  I think I better stop driving until I can find an aftermarket shift indicator as one of them has 8 forward speeds....I think.

• Like 2

Ridiculous. And BTW - neither of my manual transmission cars have a gear indicator.

From my side of the handlebars, this seems like gold digging, pure and simple. Or an ignorance and incredibly lacking skill set that the confused rider should not be allowed to ride.

• Like 1

Me thinks it is horse hockey. Hell, most bikes don’t tell you what gear your in anyway. I’m old enough to remember bikes before CDI, disc brakes, and fuel injection. 

God help these people if they buy a Yamaha Super Tenere! The coveted gear indicator.....goes blank any time you pull in the clutch lever. You know, like when you are stopped at a light and want to know if you downshifted to first? 

"Judge, your Honor, I went to pull away to get out of the path of the drunk driver and my Super Tenere stalled. I couldn't tell what gear I was in since the clutch lever was pulled in"

A faulty gear indicator causing a safety issue? Really?

I have a R90s and an older Corvette with a six speed. On either vehicle, my brain tells me which gear I'm in.

My '04RT has a gear indicator. It's worked flawlessly (105k miles currently) since new other than the time I was checking some signals and shorted out a couple pins.

As such, I use it as an indicator. My brain still tells me what gear I'm in.

BMW deserves blame for the older surging issues, failed final drives (read up on this year's Iron Butt results), but a gear indicator ????

The guy should be shamed. Publicly.

RPG

• Like 2
On 8/8/2019 at 2:26 PM, dirtrider said:

Evening  Endobobdds

Agreed. They should be taken to task on the pulleys. Other things as well. 

It’s a fairly weak premise for liability, but there’s a small chance it may have an impact on BMW’s approach to systemic mechanical issues. As DR points out, there have been plenty of other, more consequential issues that BMW has ignored in the past few years. Ultimately their response is a reflection of how incentivized they are to fix problems. Class action lawsuits can have an influence on the financial calculus.