IGNORED

Extended Warranty

bmwdavid

My 3 year warranty on my 2016 R1200RT expires January 2020. It just went in for its 600 mile service, obviously it sat more than it’s been ridden. Not really sure that will change due to work etc... MAX BMW is offering extended warranty thru Pinnacle. 1 year $1300, 2 years. $1400 and 3 for $1500. No deductible as long as work is done at one of the MAX dealerships. Is it worth it with how few miles I put on it?

No way.

1) Too expensive and it's limited to only their chain of dealers? What if it breaks down when you are traveling?

2) You don't ride the thing. Why not just sell it?

I've considered selling it but think there will come a time when work doesn't consume my life. I would have to take a huge loss selling it and really hope to get in some riding time at some point. I'm thinking the warranty would be needed once the miles accumulated but also worry that something electronic or some other expensive repair could still happen even with very low mileage.

John Ranalletta

About taking that big loss?  You've already incurred but not yet realized it,.  The good news is YOU STILL HAVE THE BIKE!!!!  That's a win.  Realizing the loss and not having the bike is not a good thing unless you need the cash

I know this won't help, but stop worrying.  Apply all that angst to riding the bike.  If it breaks, it breaks. Betcha it won't.

Best to you.

• Like 3

I don't need the money and it makes no sense to give it away and then realize there will be more opportunities to get out there and enjoy the bike and wish I kept it.

• Like 2

Pinnacle warranties are good at any participating dealer, which includes the full BMW dealer network. You can purchase $0 deductible at your home dealer with $50 deductible at any other dealer OR $25 deductible at any dealer. There is no mileage limitation. All these options are for the same price. 

Any aftermarket warranty is just like insurance. Decide how long you want to keep the bike and how lucky you feel about potential repairs. Also, realize that wear & tear, or lack thereof, are not covered. You need miles on that bike on a regular basis to keep it running well. Also, an oil change once a year, brake fluid change every other year, etc. After 5 years, rubber seals and tires begin to degrade, dry and crack. Keep an eye on those parts. Or, you could just put that money in an savings account to be sure you have it when you need it. 

Now, you just need to find the time to ride more. Good luck with your decision. 

You have one of the finest motorcycles ever made and have just done the 600 mile service after two and a half years?  You may want to think about taking the money you're thinking of spending on the extended warranty and use it to take a nice tour on your brand new 2.5 year old bike.  Surely someone like yourself who has ridden such a short distance in the time you've owned the bike because of work constraints must have enough vacation time to allow for that to happen.  

• Like 2

My RT had 6,200 miles on it when I bought it last year, so about 5 years old at the time. The first owner had it for three and a half years and only put about 1,700 miles on it. The 2nd owner had it for about 2 years and put about 4,500 on. I've had it for fifteen months and just ticked over 10k. 

Sell the bike bike to someone who will actually enjoy it. A mothballed machine will start to develop problems from just sitting (old oil, old tires, etc. I mean, was this the first oil change in five years? Five year old brake fluid? Eventually you are going to have issues. Just sell it someone who will enjoy it.

Have used Zurich in the past with very good results but both my current (2016 and 2018) have RPM-1 5 year extensions on the BMW 3 year.  Zero deductible and good at any qualified repair shop.   Shop around for a better price than what Max is offering. 

That Max/Pinnacle plan seems way too expensive. I just bought a 4-year Rider's Advantage service plan for my '16 for $805 with zero deductible from the dealer or $100 anywhere else. Shop around.

2 hours ago, John in VA said:

That Max/Pinnacle plan seems way too expensive. I just bought a 4-year Rider's Advantage service plan for my '16 for $805 with zero deductible from the dealer or $100 anywhere else. Shop around.

Has anyone had experience with Riders Advantage specific to approving and paying out on a claim?

I am looking at Zurich (great reputation) and Riders Advantage. Talking to Chris at Bob’s BMW for both offerings. Quite a difference in cost. 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

I was happy with Zurich for my 06 RT and 13 RT but Zurich prices are much higher now than they were 5 and 10 years ago. I'd be confident that RA would honor any valid Bob's claim as the policy-selling dealer.

Appreciate the comments. I do not live in Bob’s service area and am considering purchasing through Bob’s as my local dealer does not offer options. 

I understand that Bob’s is a standup dealer but that does me no good if I file a claim outside of their coverage area. 

Chris at Bob’s indicated they do their homework before offering a solution to their client base and the only 2 warranty contracts they sell are Zurich and Riders Advantage. 

I would check with your local dealer or one that you will probably be doing business with as THEY are the ones that will have to deal with claims for you and if you buy from them that can help.   I have had great experience with Zurich and RPM-1.   Both were recommended by my dealer and I got a great deal on them as well.  It pays to shop around but can be a benefit to buy from your local dealer.  

Oh ... and I never heard of different deductibles from your local or non-local dealer.   My RPM-1 contract is zero deductible anywhere. 

I would like to look into Zurich and RPM-1 but wondering if the dealer has to be part of their program. Max is the only BMW dealer close enough for me to consider going to and if they are selling Pinnacle I wonder if they would deal with another company.

It really is not up to the dealer as you can have your bike serviced at any BMW dealer and get a claim filed.   It can just at times be a benefit to have a dealer with a relationship with the company.   You can buy the Zurich or RPM-1 from any dealer that sells them. 

I started following these wethead threads because I thought I might be interested in actually owning one and it's threads like this that have convinced me NO WAY!  It would be a sorry day before I would ever shell out what it would take to own a wethead and then to add insult to injury ever think I had to go an additional 1 to 2K for an extended warranty and from a third party yet.  I mean repair costs like $3.5K just to replace an alternator??  Just knock me down and call me stupid!  What ever happened to "simple by choice"?

1 hour ago, JamesW said:

I started following these wethead threads because I thought I might be interested in actually owning one and it's threads like this that have convinced me NO WAY!  It would be a sorry day before I would ever shell out what it would take to own a wethead and then to add insult to injury ever think I had to go an additional 1 to 2K for an extended warranty and from a third party yet.  I mean repair costs like $3.5K just to replace an alternator??  Just knock me down and call me stupid!  What ever happened to "simple by choice"?

Hi James, like all vehicles, things do go wrong. Most of the time they don't. You don't HAVE to get an extended warranty. Also, you can pick up used Wethead RT's for quite reasonable money. So don't let these threads put you off. Remember forums are the focus for resolving problems. There are very few forums that discuss having no problems.

As for the alternator issue, what made you pluck that one?

There's very recent thread (like today I think) about it where the owner said he agreed to have the dealer replace his for $3,500! I've written about this many times but the way the alternator is buried inside the engine is THE reason I opted to get a camhead when I bought my bike last year.

Now, before you go on about the where the camhead clutch is, the difference is that though both require a lot of disassembly, the wethead alternator requires removal of, and subsequent partial disassembly, the engine itself (breaking the transmission case off the crankcase which, unlike the camhead, is not a sealed, self-contained, unit). That and the part itself costs $1,500. 

It's true that there aren't than many alternator failures and clutch replacement at some point is guaranteed, but I can easily (sort of) do one job but the other is beyond my skill level and physical ability. 

Hi Andy, I pinged on the alternator because it has been very recently discussed due to a stator failure on a 2014.  To me it just insults my intelligence to even think about a cost anywhere near $3.5K for just an alternator failure and having to remove the motor for this??  Just knock me right down and call me stupid if I ever own one of these beasts.  I probably couldn't sleep at night.  Oh, I could have brought up the soft cam lobe issue but the alternator just seemed like such a mind blower for what should be a trivial issue.

Wouldn't be so bad if the extended warranty were offered by BMW at least.  Hate to bring it up but my other bike's manufacturer offers an extended warranty which can be had for as little as $350.  I just cannot get my head around ownership of a new or almost new bike from der fatherland just no way no how.  

Oh, one more thing.  I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to my eye the wethead RT is just about as but ugly as it gets.

2 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

There's very recent thread (like today I think) about it where the owner said he agreed to have the dealer replace his for $3,500! I've written about this many times but the way the alternator is buried inside the engine is THE reason I opted to get a camhead when I bought my bike last year.

Now, before you go on about the where the camhead clutch is, the difference is that though both require a lot of disassembly, the wethead alternator requires removal of, and subsequent partial disassembly, the engine itself (breaking the transmission case off the crankcase which, unlike the camhead, is not a sealed, self-contained, unit). That and the part itself costs $1,500. 

It's true that there aren't than many alternator failures and clutch replacement at some point is guaranteed, but I can easily (sort of) do one job but the other is beyond my skill level and physical ability. 

Seems like you just "pick your poison" .... Camhead Clutch or WetHead alternator.  But if you get the extended warranty for a fraction of the alternator cost you can sleep at night.   The maintenance on the wet heads is actually less than Camheads and earlier models with longer valve check intervals saving a lot of $$.  Most all new bikes have some warts so I just look at it as the cost or doing what I love.   The nice thing about riding BMW's is most dealers have excellent well experienced techs as opposed to the metric "mega dealers". 

Well, I don't know about ugly. I can think of about 35 other big-bore twins that are wayyyy uglier and more expensive! Not to mention they want you to spend up to $5k just to get the motors to output what they could. 8-)

I also, think $3,500 is too much for that job. What? Two GRAND for labor? No way an experienced mechanic would need 20+ hours to do the job. Regardless, even the more commonly quoted $2k-$2,500 is still way too over the top for me.

But, having bitched about wetheads, the headlight housing for my bike is $1,300 new. Left and right side saddlebag trim covers (just the little painted bits) are almost $500...each! Each rim is over a grand. I mean, the list goes on and on. 

Paradoxically, those painted or injection-molded bits are more expensive than one head (ready to run). Go figure...

16 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Hi Andy, I pinged on the alternator because it has been very recently discussed due to a stator failure on a 2014.  To me it just insults my intelligence to even think about a cost anywhere near $3.5K for just an alternator failure and having to remove the motor for this??  Just knock me right down and call me stupid if I ever own one of these beasts.  I probably couldn't sleep at night.  Oh, I could have brought up the soft cam lobe issue but the alternator just seemed like such a mind blower for what should be a trivial issue.

Wouldn't be so bad if the extended warranty were offered by BMW at least.  Hate to bring it up but my other bike's manufacturer offers an extended warranty which can be had for as little as $350.  I just cannot get my head around ownership of a new or almost new bike from der fatherland just no way no how.  

Oh, one more thing.  I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to my eye the wethead RT is just about as but ugly as it gets.

Everyone has an opinion!   I love my 2 wet heads and to me they are down right gorgeous . 

• Like 1
Just now, RTinNC said:

Seems like you just "pick your poison" .... Camhead Clutch or WetHead alternator.  But if you get the extended warranty for a fraction of the alternator cost you can sleep at night.

I don't disagree with you at all. I just have a thing about electrical gremlins and how they tend to strike without warning. That and, being an engineer, that design just offends my sensibility. Why put the alternator there of all places? I can do the clutch in a Camhead myself in a week of after-work playtime for $500 (or whatever) in parts and they tend to give one plenty of notice that they are ready to go to Jesus.

1 hour ago, Marty Hill said:

Hey James, do you have a BMW motorcycle?

As a matter a fact I do.  I own an absolutely pristine '93 R1100RSL with just over 10K miles on the odometer all put on by me.  I've owned BMWs since my first in late 1976 that being a 1977 R75/7 which I wish I still had and it cost less new than an alternator stator in a wethead.  :4607: Yeah, I know about inflation but jeez...

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, JamesW said:

As a matter a fact I do.  I own an absolutely pristine '93 R1100RSL with just over 10K miles on the odometer all put on by me.  I've owned BMWs since my first in late 1976 that being a 1977 R75/7 which I wish I still had and it cost less new than an alternator stator in a wethead.  :4607: Yeah, I know about inflation but jeez...

Well with just over 10K miles on a 1993 BMW you certainly should NOT buy the extended warranty!   And probably don't need a wethead either although based on your annual mileage a wethead would probably last you about 100 years! :dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lol..lol..Actually, when you really get down to it does ANYBODY really I mean REALLY need a motorcycle?  My R1100 is really kind of a nostalgia thing when you get down to it beings that it's my last motorcycle.  I mostly ride the FJR.

People don't buy a motorcyle for what they need, they buy it for what they want.  (sort of ripped that saying from Texas Metal)  I think it is pretty funny to ask "does anybody really need a motorcycle." 

Good stuff.

2 hours ago, JamesW said:

lol..lol..Actually, when you really get down to it does ANYBODY really I mean REALLY need a motorcycle?  My R1100 is really kind of a nostalgia thing when you get down to it beings that it's my last motorcycle.  I mostly ride the FJR.

You are correct and I stand corrected.   I foolishly used the "need" work when discussing motorcycles.   Yes ... very few of us NEED any motorcycle.  (people always ask me why I "need" 2 motorcycles ... ha!  NEED???   Hah :rofl:  ) 

But I do stand by my 2nd statement that if you were to buy a wet-head BMW based on the mileage of your other BMW's it will last a long time and you probably won't encounter any of the failures mentioned.  

Well, I do need my motorcycle. I have right at 50,000 miles on it. It is transportation. I "need" it as much as my autos.

If you have not ridden one of the Wethead RT's  or GS's you simply don't know what you are missing. Any worries about them being unreliable are usually based on shared stories of misery that came from a handful of owners that did indeed have bad mechanical problems. Passed on and multiplied by internet stories. But in the big picture, considering how many hundred's of thousands of these have been sold, they are quite reliable. More reliable than some Japanese counterparts. Which is something no BMW since maybe the Airheads could say. If you don't want one, don't buy it. But you cannot claim mechanical misfortunes as a reason to never consider one. They are just that good overall. 

• Like 1
On 8/8/2019 at 4:09 PM, JamesW said:

I did, really need a motorcycle that is. For much of my life, I lived in the US and a motorcycle was my primary transportation: to and from work, shopping, anything I couldn't walk to. I have never had a car as my principal means of transportation, although I have owned some cars at various times. Now I don't —need— a motocycle, consequently it sees about 10,000 km/year as opposed to the 20,000 miles/year I put on them when I needed them.

OK, I'll tell you why I've always liked BMWs.  It all has to do with ergonomics.  A BMW just fits me and feels right.  Yesterday I fired up the RSL and took a run up the coast after feeding it a bottle of Techron and it just felt right.  I owned an '04 R1150RT bought new in '04 and sold in '16 with about 50K miles when I found the '10 FJR.  From the time I bought that RT I was forever working on it.  It just seemed like it was one thing after another mostly kind of nit picky things  but still it just never ended.  The ABS system was just a joke!  Never forget when I went out to take a ride and found the huge puddle of brake fluid under the bike.  That was the day I removed the POS modulator and converted the brake system to non-ABS.  The funny thing is for some dumb reason I kind miss that RT. Maybe I'm a closet masochist.  I think it comes down to soul as in for me BMW bikes just have soul.  Now, you take a bike like the FJR which is a fine motorcycle no doubt about it with fantastic proven reliability but it has no soul and it somehow doesn't fit and I can't really put my finger on the issue as to exactly why.  I really should take a test ride on the new RT if for no other reason than to inform myself and know more about what I'm talking about.  I've arranged a test ride only to cancel probably because I'm afraid of what I might be compelled to do.  Now, if I were to be inclined to buy one I would take a pass on the extended warranty just because.....just because.

I say I'm too long in the tooth (75) to go for a new BMW but then what happens?  My next door neighbor who is 87 years old shows up Friday with a new Mustang.  True, it's just the 3.7L V6 but still.....go figure??

2 hours ago, JamesW said:

I say I'm too long in the tooth (75) to go for a new BMW but then what happens?  My next door neighbor who is 87 years old shows up Friday with a new Mustang.  True, it's just the 3.7L V6 but still.....go figure??]

I don't think age is a limiting factor to buying a new motorcycle.  Attitude, overall health, physical conditioning, and financial situations are, or could be, the limiting factors for me.   I bought a new BMW R1200GSA last year and as long as I can continue going to the gym to stay in shape and have my mental health I feel I can ride for at least another 10 years! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JamesW said:

OK, I'll tell you why I've always liked BMWs.  It all has to do with ergonomics.  A BMW just fits me and feels right.  Yesterday I fired up the RSL and took a run up the coast after feeding it a bottle of Techron and it just felt right.  I owned an '04 R1150RT bought new in '04 and sold in '16 with about 50K miles when I found the '10 FJR.  From the time I bought that RT I was forever working on it.  It just seemed like it was one thing after another mostly kind of nit picky things  but still it just never ended.  The ABS system was just a joke!  Never forget when I went out to take a ride and found the huge puddle of brake fluid under the bike.  That was the day I removed the POS modulator and converted the brake system to non-ABS.  The funny thing is for some dumb reason I kind miss that RT. Maybe I'm a closet masochist.  I think it comes down to soul as in for me BMW bikes just have soul.  Now, you take a bike like the FJR which is a fine motorcycle no doubt about it with fantastic proven reliability but it has no soul and it somehow doesn't fit and I can't really put my finger on the issue as to exactly why.  I really should take a test ride on the new RT if for no other reason than to inform myself and know more about what I'm talking about.  I've arranged a test ride only to cancel probably because I'm afraid of what I might be compelled to do.  Now, if I were to be inclined to buy one I would take a pass on the extended warranty just because.....just because.

I say I'm too long in the tooth (75) to go for a new BMW but then what happens?  My next door neighbor who is 87 years old shows up Friday with a new Mustang.  True, it's just the 3.7L V6 but still.....go figure??

James I had an 02R1150RT, same brakes as your 04, I liked them.  I'm sure you know this but I'll say it anyway, the puddle of brake fluid had nothing to do with the ABS system it was the rubber brake lines that I'm sure failed over time.  Mind failed in 2012.  I installed steel-braided lines (current RT's come standard with steel - braided lines) As for buying new vehicles, that's just a money issue nothing to do with age in my opinion. 

Jay

7 hours ago, JamesW said:

I owned an '04 R1150RT bought new in '04 and sold in '16 with about 50K miles when I found the '10 FJR.  From the time I bought that RT I was forever working on it.  It just seemed like it was one thing after another mostly kind of nit picky things  but still it just never ended.  The ABS system was just a joke!  Never forget when I went out to take a ride and found the huge puddle of brake fluid under the bike.

I never had a problem with the ABS system in my '04 1150RT, over 71,000 miles and 12 years.  But I did install stainless brake lines at 60K, and I flushed the system per the service manual schedule and procedure.

Hi Bill, I did the complete brake system flush and fill on my '04 every two years without fail.  It was a pain of a procedure but I did it.  I really didn't like not having normal brake operation if the engine wasn't running.  I never got around to changing out the OEM brake lines but have installed Spieglers on the RSL.  Having a servo assisted braking system on a motorcycle has never made much sense to me and apparently BMW got the message when various police agencies stopped buying their motorcycles.  Before I bought the '04RT I never dropped a motorcycle when making a slow speed tight turn like in a parking lot.  It took several drops of the RT before I figured out the problem was associated with the linked brake system.  The painted rear view mirrors were $200 each and I bought two of them.  Let's say I became very proficient at tupperware removal in the 12 years of ownership.  Also,  the RT was the most top heavy motorcycle I ever owned and that definitely includes the FJR.

Still,  I would like to try out the new wethead/camhead just to say I did.

11 hours ago, JamesW said:

Bring your wallet... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

RT was the most top heavy motorcycle I ever owned

I definitely won't argue with you on that point!  I had a couple of near-zero-speed drops with mine, too.

I did not purchased an extended warranty for my '99 or my '15 RT, but did consider it for the '15.  I guess after following the Wethead thread here and other places on the net for Waterhed info/discussions/farkles and problems I am OK with my choice to not have purchased the extended warranty.  And. I sleep well at night.  It seems since the Wethead introduction the anecdotally reported problems have been few and really haven't increased as the miles have piled up on these bikes.  There was one case reported here of an alternator issue as James worried about.  So while maybe not as rare as getting struck by a meteorite it sure isn't very likely either. 

6 hours ago, Cap said:

Bring your wallet... :thumbsup:

And yes that is a way, way more likely event for James than an alternator failure on a K5x motor RT:cool:

My tag line says says it all about the evolution of the BMW boxer bikes!

To the OP's original questions.  If you plan on keeping the bike long term, regardless of your current level of mileage per year, go ahead and get the aftermarket warranty.  We, (the wife and I), have used Zurich in the past and have RPM One now on the current '16 GSA with 45k on it.

I would recommend getting a plan that you can use at any dealership, not one limited to one dealership or network.  Typically the plan covers the repairs to the bike for unlimited mileage, but only covers up to the value of the bike at the time you get the warranty for the life of the warranty plan, and only up to the value of the bike at the time of each individual claim, for that claim.  Read the terms carefully so you understand what the offered coverage is and it's limits.

Our '11 F650GS2 had about $300 left on the lifetime warranty coverage when we sold it in '16 with 109k miles.  Transmission, water pump, stator, water pump #2, engine, (full build from scratch after water pump #3 failure.

The '16 R1200GSA has only had one claim so far, the ABS pump seized and fried the rear caliper and rotor, pads, etc.  That repair was about $4500 if it had not been covered by the RPM One Warranty.  Bike had about 37k on it at that point, just out of OEM warranty.   That one claim more than paid for the ~$2k cost of the warranty.

Also, regardless of mileage, get the brake fluid changed every 2 years from when you did the 600 mile service.  Brake fluid is hygroscopic, (absorbs water moisture), and it's especially harmful when you're not heat cycling the bike much by riding it often.  It can form corrosion rings around caliper pistons, ABS solenoid piston, slave and master cylinder pistons and cost a lot to repair.

If you plan on selling the bike before ~35-40k miles, it's a crap shoot on if you'll need repairs or not.  Some warranties are transferable as well, which can be a HUGE marketing point when selling it down the road.

We don't buy motorcycles for investments, but rather to ride them.  Unless you keep it for 50+ years, (and keep it pristine), it will probably never be worth anything close to what you paid for it in the future.  You own the bike, ride it when you can and enjoy it.  Make yourself a goal to ride it at least once a month.  Keep it a fun thing.  Your own challenge to yourself to get out at enjoy your fun bike.  The RT is a great bike, feature rich and fun to ride.  Try to make the time, even if it's only for a brief ride.  Good for the body and mind to remind yourself of the focus that riding can bring and how it can clear the mind of what troubles you, even if only for a while.

• Like 2
On 8/12/2019 at 8:04 PM, EricV said:

To the OP's original questions.  If you plan on keeping the bike long term, regardless of your current level of mileage per year, go ahead and get the aftermarket warranty.  We, (the wife and I), have used Zurich in the past and have RPM One now on the current '16 GSA with 45k on it.

I would recommend getting a plan that you can use at any dealership, not one limited to one dealership or network.  Typically the plan covers the repairs to the bike for unlimited mileage, but only covers up to the value of the bike at the time you get the warranty for the life of the warranty plan, and only up to the value of the bike at the time of each individual claim, for that claim.  Read the terms carefully so you understand what the offered coverage is and it's limits.

Also, regardless of mileage, get the brake fluid changed every 2 years from when you did the 600 mile service. 

Some warranties are transferable as well, which can be a HUGE marketing point when selling it down the road.

What he said!   EXACTLY!   Well put!  

And some warranties if unused when selling have a cash redemption feature in addition to transferability so it is your choice.   But they have always helped me sell a bike.  No ... not for more money but just something to make my bike stand out from others on the market. 

10 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

And some warranties if unused when selling have a cash redemption feature in addition to transferability so it is your choice.   But they have always helped me sell a bike.  No ... not for more money but just something to make my bike stand out from others on the market. 

That's an excellent point too.  I chose my last low mile used bike in part because of the existing transferable warranty.  A little extra peace of mind.

• Like 1
On 8/12/2019 at 6:02 AM, JamesW said:

Also,  the RT was the most top heavy motorcycle I ever owned

Well, you haven't owned a PanEuropean,  XJR1200 and most other big touring multi cylinder bikes that are like for like. Apart from the luggage, the CofG is lower on the RT's and I'd also include a loaded GS as being more top heavy too.

Just to be contrarian.   I think extended warrantees are a waste of money.  

Remember they are a for profit enterprise for both the issuing company and the commission the dealer makes on the sale.  They do their homework, they always make money in the end!!

Only buy the warrantee if a failure's cost is beyond you means to pay to fix.   Most BMW buys do not have that problem.   Save the money you would have paid for the warrantee....over the years it will be a LOT of money!    

I've long since spent the money I've saved on trips....

I've had 6 BMW's over the last 37 years.  Only the first one had problems with the clutch spline gears failing ever 10k miles (3 times).  The last failure was at s bit over 30k miles and in the 5th year of owner ship...ie out of warrantee.....but BMW picked up the tab, all three times and transport (once for Kapukasing Ontario ) .

The final fix was a new transmission housing ( the original had been erroniusly machined at an angle).  BMW is a stand up company!

PS  I kept the bike for 13 years and just under 100,000 mile.  No more problems!

If you disagree, send money to an insurance company....they will say thanks!

Edited by Vtbob
added a line

Contrarian is good.  The difference is the miles ridden.  The single repair after the factory warranty was over $2500 more than the cost of the warranty on our '16 GSA.  So I've "saved" $2500+ on a bike barely 3 years old.  :cool:  I'm not sure you understand how aftermarket warranties are sold.  You pay a one time, up front fee, not on-going monthly fees.  So the cost is set at purchase.  The number of years you use it has no impact on the cost.  The F650GS2 we had had over $10k in repairs under warranty over the 115k miles we owned it, (5 years).  The current RPM One warranty is a 10 year, unlimited mileage term.  As said, we're already money ahead on that one.

For owners that don't put on more than the 12k miles per year that BMW writes the factory warranty for and don't keep bikes for long term, the aftermarket warranty is not really cost effective.  For long term owners, there is a certain level of "pay your quarter and take your chances".  For riders that well exceed the miles BMW hopes customers will ride each year, aftermarket warranties are often useful and can cost out.

• Thanks 1