IGNORED

Rust Spots on New Chrome

riderbob

G'day,

Want to ask whether anyone else has had the same problem and if it is normal for this to happen? Basically I bought my RT in Jan this year, have done 2500 miles on it and now have rust on the chrome. I use Scottoiler on all metal parts to prevent corrosion, but I have it anyway.

Pictures attached:

65386437-S.jpg

65386438-S.jpg

I've moved from Australia to England and was aware of the salt on the roads during Winter, hence the Scottoiler, but it hasn't worked or I've got a bad patch of chrome. I've tried using a non-abrasive chrome polish once, but that didn't work.

What do you think?

Any advice appreciated. confused.gif

Cheers,

Bob

The chrome is, I think, on stainless steel. (At least it is on mine, just checked it with a magnet!).

So it is very surprising that it has failed, at least so rapidly. I think that stainless will eventually become affected by salt, but as it is the material used on marine fittings, you'd think that it would be streets ahead of normal steel.

I'd complain to the dealer, this does seem below standard, and could well be bad chroming.

In general though, if I ride over roads that have been salted, I always hose the bike and its underside off afterwards. Nasty corrosive stuff, salt.

Bob--

It looks to me like there was some sort of problem in the application of the finish at the factory. I drive/ride in an area where salt is used heavily on the roads, and I've never seen that as much corrosion in as short a time as your photos indicate.

In the U.S., we have the option between the standard exhaust system and a "chrome system," the latter being a highly polished (double wall?) system that maintains its shine. The former does not--it turns brown and or blue, but does not pit like yours has.

Bob--

In the U.S., we have the option between the standard exhaust system and a "chrome system," the latter being a highly polished (double wall?) system that maintains its shine. The former does not--it turns brown and or blue, but does not pit like yours has.

WRONG. The "chrome" pipe is not double walled, and does not maintain it's shine. In the first 10 miles my new pipe got blue/brown just like the standard pipes do. I ended up having mine coated by performancecoatings.com, and it still looks great after 7000 miles.

Jay

Thanks for this, I think it's fair to say that something is amiss so I will be visiting the dealer tomorrow to talk about it.

Cheers,

Bob

Richard_Spag

Bob,

If it is any consolation the chrome on my exhaust is in equally bad shape. If you look carefully on your bke you may also find that the paint finish on the footpeg plates is bubbling up around the main mounting holes too! - in addition to the standard issue bubbling of paint at the front engine casing. Goodness only knows what rubbish paints were used on these machines. Certainly a huge disappointment on such an expensive machine confused.gif!

You may find that plenty of elbow gease with a tube of Solvol may disguise the worst of the chrome problem. Obviously, UK road salt has some quite unpleasant ingredients these days.

Cheers

Richard

Goodness only knows what rubbish paints were used on these machines

According to other forums, water based due to EU regulations. They just aren't up the job.

I've used ACF50 and Scottoiler over the Winter and touch wood it has stood up pretty well (but I haven't been under the tupperware recently). Did have the front engine case cover replaced but that starts from underneath and works out so is difficult to protect against.

Dave Grinsel

My old R1100S had the stainless steel pipes and I used California Custom Metal Polish and fine steel wool to clean to the pipes. When I traded at 55,000 miles, the pipes looked like new. My new R1200ST had the chrome pipes which are much harder to polish as they will scratch with steel wool.

Rode to the dealer today. We don't seem to have the options you guys in the US have. Anyway, the dealer has said they will polish the pipes and put a protective coating on them. While there they noticed paint bubbling on the rocker covers and they will replace those as well. At their expense.

Got to be happy with that kind of service.

Cheers,

Bob

Archived