IGNORED

Chief Jospeh Highway or Red Lodge

I have a trip planned and unfortunately I don't have enough time to ride to Red Lodge and the Chief Joseph Highway. For those of you who have ridden either or both, if you could only ride one, which would it be?

If I was in the area, no way am I passing up either Chief Joseph or Beartooth.  If I had to choose then it would be Beartooth but it wouldn't be hard to do some of both depending on how you are planning to get to the area.  

• Like 3
14 hours ago, greiffster said:

If you're asking to pick either Chief Jospeh or Beartooth...I choose Beartooth.

Agree, however, if possible make time for both - 2 of the best rides in the USA!   At the 2018 UnRally I road both roads twice and would have ridden them more if I had more time!:18:

From what direction will you be coming? Chief Joseph highway isn't that long and runs into the Beartooth Highway, so I can't see the point of doing only Chief Joseph. Do both. Starting at Red Lodge, a loop out to the eastern end of Chief Joseph, then up to where it intersects with Beartooth Highway, then back to Red Lodge is only ~145 miles. Ignore Google Maps' estimate of 2h 51 min, as you will be stopping so often to take photos and admire the views that it will take much longer. This is one of the greatest rides in the Rockies.

260864926_Screenshot2019-07-23at9_14_16PM.thumb.png.e9fb4252f505848cdd228dbb70b9e364.png

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the replies and information. I decided to cut out some other side trips so I can ride to Red Lodge and do the Chief Joseph Highway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As long as you're allotting a bit more time, you should consider one of the most sublime biking roads anywhere.  I'm suggesting Highway 78 which connects Red Lodge to Columbus (I 90).  Pure joy for a rider.

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Traveler1 said:

As long as you're allotting a bit more time, you should consider one of the most sublime biking roads anywhere.  I'm suggesting Highway 78 which connects Red Lodge to Columbus (I 90).  Pure joy for a rider.

Of all the rides we did from RL, 78 was a hoot.  2x from Columbus to RL and 1x from RL to Columbus.  I remember Nando writing that he took 78 on his return trip and raved about it also.

image.thumb.png.ec2b754d308350ca70a1e3ff81864b77.png

• Like 2
10 hours ago, mickeym3 said:

Try to avoid the Sturgis crowd, crazy busy everywhere 

I won't be in the Sturgis area until at least a week after the rally. Hopefully the big crowds will be dwindling. 

I've decided to the the loop of Red Lodge, including the Chief Joseph's Highway, and a side trip to Columbus (Thanks to JOhn Rannalletta). 

Thanks for all the input. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Poco183 said:

I won't be in the Sturgis area until at least a week after the rally. Hopefully the big crowds will be dwindling. 

Funny thing is few years ago I was on  Beartooth and we encountered several riding sans helmets and T-shirts and/or  vests and it was sleeting. They seemed oblivious or worse I suppose. Just know the weather can change pretty dramatically up there in very short order. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great advice. I did Beartooth twice and took the Chief Joseph Highway to Cody, Wyoming. Here is a little video of the ride.  

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Poco183 said:

"Thanks for the great advice. I did Beartooth twice and took the Chief Joseph Highway to Cody, Wyoming. Here is a little video of the ride"  

Nice video - it brought  back wonderful memories for me of the 2018 UnRally and those two fabulous motorcycle roads!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...