IGNORED

Hyperlite function

Mark K

I have an email into the company, but I really want to get the bike back together as soon as possible and it is the weekend....

I just installed the U-32 kit on my '14.  Unless I did something wrong, these function differently than the 8-bank I have on the '96 RT.  They flash as expected, but when not braking, they also light (at a lower level) as additional taillights.  My old lights simply went dark when not braking.  I'm wondering if anyone who might have these can confirm that this is normal behavior, as I didn't see the taillight function mentioned in the product description.......thanks!

1 hour ago, Mark K said:

I have an email into the company, but I really want to get the bike back together as soon as possible and it is the weekend....

I just installed the U-32 kit on my '14.  Unless I did something wrong, these function differently than the 8-bank I have on the '96 RT.  They flash as expected, but when not braking, they also light (at a lower level) as additional taillights.  My old lights simply went dark when not braking.  I'm wondering if anyone who might have these can confirm that this is normal behavior, as I didn't see the taillight function mentioned in the product description.......thanks!

AFternoon Mark

It looks like that kit does have running lights as part of the 3 way lighting.

On the Hyperlite web site under U-32 kit it shows__

3-Way Brakes/Running/Turn

"Our 3-Way LED lights give you the attention getting power of our flashing brake lights combined with our amber turn signals and red LED running light function. The brake and running lights are driven by our microprocessor based control unit, limiting the current draw to 1/4 amp. While the turn signals draw power from your bike's oem signal system. This ensures all your turn signals will flash at the same rate. These  lights will mount to any smooth, clean surface, and wont damage paint. The 3-Way kit can be ordered in any of our 4 flashing patterns"

Afternoon dirtrider,

Thanks for your quick reply.  There is a U-32 kit and a U-32 kit + running lights.  I know I don't have the product you described based upon the pricing, the packaging and the fact I don't have amber LEDs.

10 hours ago, Mark K said:

Afternoon dirtrider,

Thanks for your quick reply.  There is a U-32 kit and a U-32 kit + running lights.  I know I don't have the product you described based upon the pricing, the packaging and the fact I don't have amber LEDs.

Morning Mark

To know for sure you will probably have to call & talk to them.

Even the base kit 'could' allow the Hyper lights to work as running lights  on the newer BMWs as the brake light input doesn't drop to "0" volts like on the older bikes, on the newer BMW's the brake light is run at a pulsed 8 volts or so all the time as that is the lower brightness tail  light then that same  circuit goes to 12+ volts to make the bulb brighter for brake light.

If your only input for the brake light side is the brake light wire then you probably will have  lower intensity lights with brake released  as that brake light input drops to a lower 8 volt input with brakes not applied.

Ahhh....this makes more sense than anything I've seen thus far..

on the newer BMWs as the brake light input doesn't drop to "0" volts like on the older bikes, on the newer BMW's the brake light is run at a pulsed 8 volts or so all the time

As Skywagon noted, this is most likely normal behavior, and I should hear back from the manufacturer early this week to confirm. 

Can't you just use the brake light wire on the central locking harness?  That's what I used to tap my Skene module into.  That wire doesn't have run.  It's brake only.

My Skene module turns my pods and my top case LED brake light into run/brake lights.

On 7/14/2019 at 6:35 AM, dirtrider said:

Even the base kit 'could' allow the Hyper lights to work as running lights  on the newer BMWs as the brake light input doesn't drop to "0" volts like on the older bikes, on the newer BMW's the brake light is run at a pulsed 8 volts or so all the time as that is the lower brightness tail  light then that same  circuit goes to 12+ volts to make the bulb brighter for brake light.

If your only input for the brake light side is the brake light wire then you probably will have  lower intensity lights with brake released  as that brake light input drops to a lower 8 volt input with brakes not applied.

I believe this is correct. My Hyperlites act as both running and brake lights with the bike's tail light wire. The Hyperlite units have a split array of red and amber LEDs, with separate wires for connecting the amber array to the bike's left/right turn signals. Thank goodness because one minor peeve I have is red turn signals. Turn signals should always be amber on any vehicle but alas there is no standard.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:39 AM, 92Merc said:

Can't you just use the brake light wire on the central locking harness? 

I don't have central locking and was unable to find a brake-only wire on the schematic.  I guess I'm fine with the running lights. 

Still have not heard back from the manufacturer one way or the other....

12 hours ago, Mark K said:

I don't have central locking and was unable to find a brake-only wire on the schematic.  I guess I'm fine with the running lights. 

Still have not heard back from the manufacturer one way or the other....

Even without CL, there is a flat plug under the passenger seat.  Has four wires.  I just used a probe, so I don't know the colors.  But one wire is ground.  One is hot for the topcase LED.  One is power for the central locks.  The last one is brake light.