IGNORED

CHP back to BMW

Tri750

Not a sweeping change, but as the current bikes are retired, they will be replaced with new BMW's.

The current bike,  in many parts of the country  was I'm sure the right tool for the job. 

Calif however has some challenges that seem to require an entirely different tool that might be more suitable in the long run. 

Bill Haley should be singing the background music for that vid.."shake rattle and roll" :grin: That bike may have a setup issue, tire pressures, suspension settings, something. Now, my 92 ultra is not a BMW in the corners, but, never danced like that bike! :eek: I've only demo rode the newer Harleys and they seem much better. 

Edit...Vid disappeared. :dontknow:

Yea, I decided it was in bad taste for now. 

The thing is,, they were pushing those bikes to the absolute edge of ground clearance, suspension.  The riders have thousands of miles on that track.

you or I would never be able to ride those bikes at that speed on that track. 

plus, the bikes had the screaming eagle intake, exhaust, chip installed in order to make the bid spec .

which was not EPA compliant. 

So, that year it didn't work out. 

fourteenfour

I will be interested to see if Harley puts a new model that is suitable to law enforcement out using the new 1250cc water cooled engine. I am actually expecting they will use have a true sport touring motorcycle finally, they already have shown an ADV motorcycle on that engine. The reason I suspect a sport tour or similar is because being on a new engine they won't have nearly as much angst from the old timers than if they tried an all new fairing on the air cooled twins.

if there an official link stating they are moving from HD?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've had a few moto cops tell me tradition and lower maintenance costs are the reasons they use Harleys. I recall one saying Harleys are good for PR. People will walk up and say "My ________ used to ride a Harley...."

On a different note... Does anyone know if Indian has a police model? I've never seen one.

• 2 months later...
James Barrett

I've sent an email to the DGS/CHP purchasing agent asking for clarification about the recent enforcement motorcycle bid request and award.  

I have not received a reply.  It has been several months now so I don't think they will respond.

• 3 weeks later...
James Barrett

It appears the contract was issued to BMW of Long Beach.  It runs from May 2019 to May 2021.  Contract No. 1-19-23-30.  Pricing  and quantities not published.

HD had the contract from 2013 to 2019 so they had a decent run.  

The CHP motorcycle specs are pretty extensive.   I wonder if Yamaha bid their FJR.