IGNORED

R9T R75/5 homage

Martyn

Missouri Bob

I don't know. Other than pin-stripes, it's an R nineT Pure with the Pure's optional wire-spoke wheels. Had BMW really wanted to build a /5 homage, they could have done much better.

1. No BMW should should leave the factory without a center-stand, particularly not one intended to emulate a /5.

2. How about a tachometer? Yes, there is an accessory tach, but it would look better with a speedometer and tachometer integrated into the headlamp shell, as on a /5.

3. Why is there so much air between the rear tire and the fender? It's not a dirt bike with twelve inches of suspension travel.

4. Speaking of fenders, those on a /5 were designed to keep water off of the rider. I can't say the same about the R nineT's fenders.

5. More leg room. At least provide the option of moving the pegs lower and farther forward.

6. That tank. Would a chrome-sided toaster be too much to ask? Yeah, I thought so.

Bob

• Like 1
fourteenfour

still want to see a R9T done up like the old eighties RT, the full fairing without radio and such that Simple good protection without all the gadgetry

I  never had a /5 but I did have a /6 and a /7 and I really dig this styling exercise.  I'm on my last bike but if not I would like to have this on of the various r9Ts.  I got to ride an original last year and really enjoyed the lightness of the bike, the sound, etc.  Pretty neat I'd say.

• 1 year later...

I was enamoured enough to buy one. I paid for the the tacho option, & the BMW rocker-covers redolent of the earlier air-heads. Wunderlich supplied a centre-stand, although I agree BMW should have done so, & the Monza style fuel filler.

If anyone feels that it offends then, fine. It was me that bought it.............

R9T_5 01.jpg

R9T_5 02.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Martyn said:

If anyone feels that it offends then, fine

Nah ...:5223:

I think its a fine looking machine (particularly like the wire wheels and the rocker covers) and should be a joy to ride for many years !!  And yeah, I'd also have gone for the tach option, good choice .

• Like 1

Nice but if given a choice I'd rather have a brand new R75/5/6 or 7.  Wellll, maybe with a clunk free tranny.  That would be nice.  It would be kind of novel if this bike had fenders that were a little more functional instead of just pretty.  I'm just sayin' only sayin'....

szurszewski
3 hours ago, Martyn said:

If anyone feels that it offends then, fine. It was me that bought it.............

Why would that offend anyone? Looks great!

Can we get a picture of the dash/cockpit? 

I particularly like the color matched rear fender.

Nice !  It's an R9T , not a 75/5  As the OP said , it's a homage and not a reproduction . I'd bet it's a blast to ride

lawnchairboy
16 hours ago, Martyn said:

I was enamoured enough to buy one. I paid for the the tacho option, & the BMW rocker-covers redolent of the earlier air-heads. Wunderlich supplied a centre-stand, although I agree BMW should have done so, & the Monza style fuel filler.

R9T_5 01.jpg

R9T_5 02.jpg

well done sir.  beautiful

• Like 1
On 7/12/2019 at 1:32 AM, Missouri Bob said:

I don't know. Other than pin-stripes, it's an R nineT Pure with the Pure's optional wire-spoke wheels. Had BMW really wanted to build a /5 homage, they could have done much better.

1. No BMW should should leave the factory without a center-stand, particularly not one intended to emulate a /5.

2. How about a tachometer? Yes, there is an accessory tach, but it would look better with a speedometer and tachometer integrated into the headlamp shell, as on a /5.

3. Why is there so much air between the rear tire and the fender? It's not a dirt bike with twelve inches of suspension travel.

4. Speaking of fenders, those on a /5 were designed to keep water off of the rider. I can't say the same about the R nineT's fenders.

5. More leg room. At least provide the option of moving the pegs lower and farther forward.

6. That tank. Would a chrome-sided toaster be too much to ask? Yeah, I thought so.

Bob

I agree re the centre-stand, but none of the 9T's come with one. Wunderlich stepped in & sold me one.

There is a tacho, in the conventional two-clock format.

There is a lot of space under the seat & tyre because that's the style of the R9T, indeed of many modern bikes.

Leg room ? I'm 6'-2" & I have no problem.

Chrome plated tank - if it had been so equipped I would not have bought it......

I have put a colour matched hugger on the bike, but I think you have unrealistic expectations of how much re-engineering was going to take place on a low numbers production run.

It's not a new R75/5, it's just a bike to take it's styling cues from that era.

51 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

Martyn , Do you know if those are hand laid  pinstripes like on the old airheads ?

Very much so. Part of the charm, IMHO.

• Like 2