IGNORED

New from New. Mexico, that is.

Still CAL

I'm a long-time rider but new to BMWs. I don't actually have a bike but I'm looking at one tomorrow. I recently became interested in a 96 RT that's been in the local ads for quite a while; price has been dropping and when it hit $900 I figured I needed to go look at it.

That one ended up being a bum steer but this 97 dropped into CL last night: https://lascruces.craigslist.org/mcy/d/mesilla-1997-bmw-r1100rt/6924723885.html  The guy has owned it since 2004, he's the third owner and has put around 38k on it; it's got 49k right now. I've been doing quite a bit of forum snooping here and elsewhere and of course my main concern will be input shaft issues. Owner says he's never serviced the input shaft so that's a red flag for me. He says he's a gentle rider but always uses the clutch. He's 70 years old and wants something smaller so he's selling this.

It's a pretty bike but I've been bit (most of us have) by the pretty face before. I'm trying to get him to come down on the price in case it needs a friction disc or worse. The first thing I'll do if  I do get it is to take my laptop into the garage and run Chris Harris' 2+ hour video while taking the bike apart to get at the clutch pack.

So I live in southern New Mexico, in the mountains at 9000'. RIding up here is great, lots of twisties and bendies, beautiful scenery, nice climate. Retired Air Force and airlines, slight case of MSB as I currently have five bikes in the stable: two 76 GL1000s, an 81 CB750C, a 78 DT175 and a 74 GT80. I just sold an 06 V-Rod last week so there's a slot for the Beemer.

Anything else to beware of on the RT? I'll check the warning lights oc but I could miss something since it's a different design from anything else I've had. Thanks in advance.

Richard in Cloudcroft

szurszewski

That's a first gen oilhead - no specific history of input shaft problems on those. I think you have in mind the '02-ish 1150/second gen oilheads. At 50k miles I certainly would not want to take the drivetrain out just to look at the clutch either. If you really have to look it's possible to get a tiny peek with the bike still mostly whole, but really I wouldn't worry about it. I sold my '96 RT with over 100k on it still on the original clutch. I was moderately hard on it (including a few thousand miles tugging a very heavy sidecar) and the guy I bought it from rode it like he stole it. I did hear from the owner after me that it was in need of a clutch about 10k after he bought it (so, around 115k miles).

• Like 1

Wow. Okay, evidently I misunderstood, I thought it was a problem with all the RT models. Chris Harris' video is of a 2000 RT and I thought he said the failure applied to all the early RTs. Great news, think I'll jump all over this bike if it's decent up close, thanks for the reply.

Hope you took the leap because it's gone! :burnout: Now Chris H. probably knows more about BMW motorcycles then I could ever learn in a second lifetime but, (and it's a BIG BUT :grin:) he also seems to hate the brand. The few videos I watched, they (the bikes) all seem to be crap or poorly engineered to him.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site! :wave:

• Like 1

Thanks Tewks. I BOUGHT IT!! And as far as Chris goes, I got the same vibe watching his vids, but he knows bookoodles about the brand. He cracks me up because he's passionate about his work but gets wrapped pretty quickly about stupid engineering done by a megacorp that ought to do better, and speaks his mind about it (or did a few years back, anyway). I get him because I'm cut from a similar mold.

Went and looked at the bike and spent about an hour going over it, couldn't find much to gripe about. Tons of extras come with. The guy has really babied it. My main concern is my size: 5'8" and 155 lbs. It's not as top-heavy as the V-Rod was but lots more weight up top than the GL1000s. I think it's mainly because I haven't taken posession of it yet so didn't want to throw it around too much. 

I get the stitches out of my right hand Monday so I'll pick it up next week. I'll post pics when I get it. excited :dance:

• Like 1

We're here on the remote S. Oregon coast, but have been thinking of getting back to the intermountain west.  Silver City is one of the communities we've been considering.  Don't think we've ever been over towards Cloudcroft.  Might have to come take a peek.  Welcome to the board, and congrats on your new bike!

Cool, we'll have to see how the healing and PT goes on my table saw-modified right hand but looks like a great time.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 7:29 PM, Still CAL said:

I'm a long-time rider but new to BMWs. ...................

.......................................but I could miss something since it's a different design from anything else I've had.............

SC Richard,

I see your listing of 70s & 80s bikes, and you saying this RT is your first BMW.

And that is similar to my situation in 2014. 

Yes, the RT is a different design from anything else you had.

When I first went up to the RT I had purchased (sight unseeen), it had a custom key having a big knurled knob on it already in the ignition switch (but I didnt know that is what it was). So I spent a few minutes trying to figure where to put the other key I was givin (thinking that was THE key). After a couple minutes I gave up, and was then trying to open the side bags. Could not figure that out, either, so went back to trying to find what to do with the key. I think I was befuddled for about 10-12 minutes. So, yah, I had quite an introduction as to this thing being different from what I was accustomed to.

But at least you didnt fall into the trap of getting an '02 RT.

Let me suggest you post your pics and story of your finger sawing and transmission work here or another of your threads. You will get more comments-discussion, rather than posting your pics and story in middle of someone elses thread.