IGNORED

Pinlock all year?

R65_Steve

I bought a new Arai helmet last fall.  In the winter I put in the pinlock "lens" that is supposed to keep it from fogging. 

Do I remove that for the summer?

Can it be reused?  If so, how do I store it?

Mines in all year round, you always can get misting in lots of differing conditions. Just wash in soapy water then let dry.

I got mine with the Nolan I got last spring... yes, I installed the pinlock on day 1 and have never removed it... Don't see why I would. (?)

26 minutes ago, BF204 said:

I got mine with the Nolan I got last spring... yes, I installed the pinlock on day 1 and have never removed it... Don't see why I would. (?)

I dunno.  It wasn't installed when I bought it and they sell new ones so I assumed it was replaceable or supposed to come out or something. 

Thanks 

5 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

I dunno.  It wasn't installed when I bought it and they sell new ones so I assumed it was replaceable or supposed to come out or something. 

Thanks 

Afternoon R65_Steve   

Some riders do leave them in all year, a lot of riders remove them for warmer weather, & still others like myself never put them in to begin with. I wear sun glasses inside my helmet & can't stand looking though 3 layers of plastic (especially into the sun).

The darn thing is simple enough to remove so you might try removing yours for the summer  just to see if  it makes a difference to YOU.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon R65_Steve   

Some riders do leave them in all year, a lot of riders remove them for warmer weather, & still others like myself never put them in to begin with. I wear sun glasses inside my helmet & can't stand looking though 3 layers of plastic (especially into the sun).

The darn thing is simple enough to remove so you might try removing yours for the summer  just to see if  it makes a difference to YOU.

Of course.  Yes I don't like all the rainbows from my sunglasses it creates.

I'm on vacation without the bike so I have a free mind to ponder these problems.  ;)

I wasn't aware that you need to be careful about cleaning them and ruined the first one I had. How do you guys clean them? I normally use Plexus on the screen and sun visor in my Neotec II. Will that be ok?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

After most of a year without the pinlock in, my pins would not lock in place when I put it back in for winter.  I had left the pins in thinking "what could go wrong?".  Well, it looks like they can vibrate and enlarge the holes in the shield.

• 4 weeks later...

I use the pinlock system from HJC with an Integrated Shield Helmet (the IS-17). Although helmets can be a very personal preference, I haven't found anything better for all day riding/touring than the integrated shield system with the pinlock.

I find the pinlocks to be necessary during cooler rainy days where fog can be a problem as well so I ride with them in at all times and haven't experienced any issues.  I usually replace the shield and pinlock every 2 or 3 seasons (basically once for the life of the helmet).

• 1 month later...

Both my System 6 and System 7 helmets have arrived with pinlock visor already installed.  I've just left them that way and have seen no problem.

I carry a separate visor with the pinlock attached in it's very fantastic MotoEquip shield protector for those few situations where I need it.  I must wear Rx spectacles all the time.  It was just too many layers to see through clearly.  Now if I could just keep my specs from fogging, life would really be good.  Hardly much utility in having a fog free shield when your glasses are totally misted.  And yes, I've tried many products.

Fogging is not much of an issue in Arizona, but I hate looking through another layer of plastic. The pinlock for my HJC RPHA 70 ST has never left its plastic wrapper!

On my clear visors, all year.  I have an Arai and Schuberth, but for warmer riding I generally throw the blue visor on the Arai (no pinlock).  I does suck getting caught in the rain and fogging with the tinted visor.

I really don't have any issues looking through three sets layers, ya, if wearing polarized sunglasses (I do on occasion), you get the rainbows, but you get that when behind the wheel of a cage too (do you take out your windshield?).   I don't see much of a degradation in vision through the three layers.  When I have the pinlock visor on and actually down, I also have on plastic bifocal safety glasses (for shield up time), so all my viewing is through plastic.