IGNORED

RT smells after washing

RPondaRoad

My 2018 seems to smell after washing.  It's pretty powerful and fills my gagage.  It's not an odor that you would identify easily.  In part it smells like a drying wool blanket and in part it almost smells like natural gas.  The natural gas thing had me checking the water heater which is not far from where the bike is parked in the garage, but that wasn't it.  And, it only happens for a couple of days after I wash the bike.  I haven't plugged the exhaust before washing...could that be it?  The top case and sidecases are removed when washing the bike.  Have any of you experienced this?  Am I getting something wet that I shouldn't be?  

6 hours ago, RPondaRoad said:

My 2018 seems to smell after washing.  It's pretty powerful and fills my gagage.  It's not an odor that you would identify easily.  In part it smells like a drying wool blanket and in part it almost smells like natural gas.  The natural gas thing had me checking the water heater which is not far from where the bike is parked in the garage, but that wasn't it.  And, it only happens for a couple of days after I wash the bike.  I haven't plugged the exhaust before washing...could that be it?  The top case and sidecases are removed when washing the bike.  Have any of you experienced this?  Am I getting something wet that I shouldn't be?  

Morning RPondaRoad   

I can't comment on your exact smell but not plugging the muffler outlet could be some of the smell.

I get a similar smell on my RT/GS after a washing from (I think) old dead bugs in the engine area  that get wet during the wash then smell as the engine is heated. 

I never paid much attention to it as the smell goes away after the next ride.  

10 hours ago, RPondaRoad said:

I've gotten a musty type of odor (no natural gas smell) after riding the bike in the rain, but it is gone after the bike cools down.  I figured it is something to do with the exhaust.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  I'll be sure to plug the exhaust the next time I clean it.  Alegerlotz, musty would describe it pretty well.  If it's not the exhaust, I'll just write it off to stinky bugs as Dirtrider suggests.  Your help is appreciated.  

• 4 weeks later...