IGNORED

Crash Bars

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Good Morning,

I am about to buy the Ilium front and rear crash bars for a hefty 800 dollars. They state that the bars are from a heavier,more durable material than their competitors and that the front fits in a way that allows full access to all maintenance. Access is an important feature to me,. On my 2012 ,the front bars had to be removed for several procedures and the rears removed when changing a tire. I'm wondering if you are using a less costly crash bar that offers the same protection and fit as the Iliums? I understand that $800 is worth it if you drop your bike damage front or back mc components. I'm just doing a little shopping here as any good consumer would. Thoughts, experiences with bars, recommendations??

As always, many thanks.

Michiganbob

I can't comment on cheaper alternatives, but I can say that I like the look and protection of the Iliums.  I did silver in the front (to blend in the engine) and black in the back (to blend in with the side cases) and I'm very happy with the results.

Front_Side_50.jpg

MichiganBob

Thanks for your feedback alegerlotz. They look great on your bike. I took the Denali 4 lights off the 2012 I traded in which were mounted on the fork. Looks like they would mount well on the front crash bars.

B

Great timing on this post.  I have the black front and rear.  I got to test them out on my 2018 RTW yesterday afternoon in my garage.  Had a 2 mph low side fall over.  Fully protected everything; engine, turn signals, hard bags, accessory lights.  I think they just more than paid for them selves.  If you ride without your hard bags on, the black rear bars do look look out of place.  Conversely, when the bags are on, the bars are hardly noticeable.