IGNORED

Ilium Works Bar Backs Removal

Cohiba54

Ilium Works has a very good instructional video for installation.  But what if I want to go back to stock? My '15 R1200RTW came with Ilium Works Bar Backs installed and would like to know if there are any tricks to getting the stock bar tubes back into the stock risers. I did a disassembly of the Ilium Works Bar Backs and when I tried to reinstall the bar tubes in the stock riser they would not fit, the OD is larger than the ID. 

Any tips would be appreciated

Here's a pic of as is right now

IMG-0375.JPG

From what I've read you need a tool to insert the bar-backs so I imagine the reverse is also true. Illium "rents" the tool I believe.

The tool will remove what is on the bike.  It designed to push the grip, with the bar, outward.  Removing the bar backs would be as simple as loosening the remaining bolts, after the grips are removed..    Not really a reversal, per se, but you get the idea.

There may be some othere techniques online somewhere that does not involve the removal tool.  I rented one and it minimizes any damage from occurring to the bar and assemblies.

My two cents, which is actually worth $37.59. ( thanks for asking)

Cheers,

Frank Brown

1st of all you need the original OEM bolts; they're not used with the illium bar risers.  Then you need to lightly sand off the dried goo on the tapered end of the grips and lightly hone out the opening where the grips were originally inserted.  Good luck, you'll need it.........

Rene,

As Frank mentioned, you will need the original bolts. However, you should not need the special tool, as the Iliums are not a press fit into the bike. They certainly weren't on my '15.

If anything, you could heat the bar-back to remove the original if it is tight, but that's unlikely.

John.