IGNORED

Extended Warranties? Options

Oldironken

Oldironken

My 2016 just came off of the BMW warranty.  ( without a single issue of course)

I have considered an extended warranty to help defray possible unexpected repairs in the future as i near retirement.  I generally am not a fan of them, but these bikes can be expensive to repair and i would consider budgeting for it now while i'm still working.

If you have one, who did you go with?  Are there good ways to negotiate price and coverage?

Back when we bought my wife's Prius we bought a genuine Toyota extend warranty through a dealership in the midwest because their price was a lot lower than the local guys.  Not sure if that sort of thing happens with BMW's or not.

I have a Zurich policy on the RT. I have used it twice with out issue. However they aren't issuing policies any more. The new owner of the local shop has a branch in Charlotte. They have been using RMI (?). So far they aren't offering it yet in Greensboro. I plan to talk them soon since the XR is coming out of warranty in August.

I had an extended warranty on both my LT and my RT.  The warranty for the RT was through RPM One here in Colorado.  It was sold to me by Erico Motorsports in Denver.  The warranty was backed by:

INTERSTATE NATIONAL DEALER SERVICES, INC.

333 Earle Ovington Blvd., P.O. Box 9340

Uniondale, NY 11553-9340

800-942-0400

www.inds.com

I didn't use it much.  But what I did use it for there were no issues.  It basically paid for itself, but not much more.

The LT was warrantied by:  (good and not so good experience)

Company:  Lyndon Property Insurance, CO

601 Carlson Parkway, Suite 990

Minnetonka, MN 55305

800-909-7636

Parent:  Protective

Policy Name: Xtraride Plus  (Good Experience)

Sold through: Motorcycle Services

6800 Jericho Turnpike Suite 201W

Syosset, NY  11791

800 - 245-8726 / 516-682-9220

email: info@motorcycleservices.com

Web: www.motorcycleservices.com

The warranty for the LT was used extensively.  I had a great deal of problems with the seals that amounted to about 6-7,000.00 if I didn't have the extended warranty.  When one of the transmission seals fouled the clutch, they finally bawked and said they would only cover the seal because the clutch was a wear item.  I traded the bike for my '05 RT.

protective xtraride motorcycle brochure for LT.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Have had both Zurich and RPM One on my bikes and both were very good.

My current bikes are both RPM One as they offer a 5 year addition to the BMW 3-year warranty.   I would buy RPM One again if I had a new bike. 

BUT .... I believe most companies require the factory warranty to still be in place in order to buy an extension.   It sounds like  you may have waited too long.  But worth ckeching.