IGNORED

National Scouting Museum at Philmont Scout Ranch

RandyShields

RandyShields

As recounted in my recent Western Ho ride tale, I stopped for a visit at in Cimarron, NM at Philmont Scout Ranch, the high adventure hiking and camping location in the Sangre de Cristo mountains in Northern New Mexico.  I had spent a couple of weeks there when I was a scout, but hadn't been back in over 40 years.  Luckily, Cimarron was near the route I had planned, so I was looking forward to the visit. 

The surprise was the recently opened National Scouting Museum across the street from the main entrance.  The museum was relocated to Philmont after a series of venues that didn't generate the number of visitors that were hoped for.  The new museum was very impressive.  I wished I had more time to explore all the exhibits and history, but I got only a cursory look.  I did take a lot of photos, which are attached below.  The museum is full of information on the history of scouting, the first Eagle Scout, displays of notable Eagle Scouts, the connection to NASA (Jim Lovell, the commander of the incredible Apollo 13 mission was an Eagle), and an entire room devoted to the Philmont experience.  I did not want to include all this in the ride tale because it is a bit off topic, but thought the scouts in the group, and perhaps others, might enjoy seeing some of the photos.  Here is a link to the museum for a more in depth review.  https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/Museums/

Philmont 1.jpg

Philmont 2.jpg

Philmont 3.jpg

Philmont 4.jpg

Philmont 5.jpg

Philmont 6.jpg

Philmont 7.jpg

Philmont 8.jpg

Philmont 9.jpg

Philmont 10.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this.  I did Philmont when I was 14 with my troop.  By the way, we were Troop 1 - yes, it started years before me but it is and was the first troop in America.  Based in Honesdale, Penn.  But back to Philmont, 10 days of hiking with a very heavy pack and camping.  Believe it or not, it was and is a wonderful highlight to my life.  Lots of fond memories.

RandyShields
2 hours ago, Sonor said:

Thank you for this.  I did Philmont when I was 14 with my troop.  By the way, we were Troop 1 - yes, it started years before me but it is and was the first troop in America.  Based in Honesdale, Penn.  But back to Philmont, 10 days of hiking with a very heavy pack and camping.  Believe it or not, it was and is a wonderful highlight to my life.  Lots of fond memories.

Very cool!  What a great legacy for a scout troop.  I really enjoyed being back there.  Had a great sense of calm over me as I explored the grounds I first experienced when I was 15.  We also had heavy packs for youngsters, hot weather and bears to contend with -- after they stole all our food one night from Bear Creek Camp; we were the first group back in there after other earlier sightings.  It remained closed the rest of the summer after we had to hike 15 miles for new supplies following splitting up a the few cans of Spam and some Bit o' Honey's they left us.

Randy

Then I suppose you also remember the phrase, "Rinse thoroughly you don't want the tetrox trots."  A friend of mine got it, not kind in the least.

RandyShields

No recollection of that phrase, but I can guess what it was about.

One of the things I learned on day 1 was to wear a tee shirt under a long sleeve shirt to stay cool in the heat.  Add water if needed.  A cool trick to this day.  

Randy

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 2:01 PM, Sonor said:

Seems there are quite a few Troop 1s in the United States.  My father and uncle were both in Troop 1 in Flushing, NY.   Check out this: First Scout Troop in the USA