IGNORED

How best to sell a used bike?

Aum

What's the best place to sell a used motorcycle? 

I'm getting ready to sell my 2013 Triumph Street Triple R. Love the bike, but can't justify paying for two motorcycles now that I'm retired. Plus I'm just not putting the miles on the Striple since I bought the 2014 RT.

I'm hesitant to use Craigs List–too many scammers for my likes–but welcome other opinions. Is Ebay better? What about selling through a local dealer on commission? 

Mike

27 minutes ago, Aum said:

What's the best place to sell a used motorcycle? 

I'm getting ready to sell my 2013 Triumph Street Triple R. Love the bike, but can't justify paying for two motorcycles now that I'm retired. Plus I'm just not putting the miles on the Striple since I bought the 2014 RT.

I'm hesitant to use Craigs List–too many scammers for my likes–but welcome other opinions. Is Ebay better? What about selling through a local dealer on commission? 

Mike

Don't be too hesitant on craigslist.  I've bought and sold a'plenty using it.  The wife's 2000, one owner, 120000 SuperDuty was sold, in essence, in a matter of hours in 2016.  Buyer came on Christmas day to check it out and drop a deposit.  I've bought both my daughters vehicles via craigslist and my 2006 RT.  I've sold other vehicles with great results.

You just have to be wary of who you are dealing with and NEVER put your phone number in the ad.  Use craigslist email as the way to communicate until you get that warm fuzzy that the individual is real and willing to deal.  The craigslist mail will not let the other end see your actual email address.

You could also use Offerup,...recently purchased some slightly used Michelin's with nice wheels attached ($200 each new with no scratches) as a set for $400 for my spare truck....was waay cheaper than buying brand new tires and the wheels look great.

Then there's always cycletrader.

I never had luck on Craig's List but do find Cycle Trader a great place.   Also,  advrider has been where I have sold 2 bikes.  

Make sure you write a detailed ad with lots of info on service history and accessories on the bike.  And LOTS AND LOTS of photos!   Photos sell bikes!   

You can also use Cycle Trader to help you set the price.  Do a national search for similar bikes and that will give you a high. low and average price and based on YOUR bike's mileage and condition price fairly. 

Good Luck! 

I've used craigslist many times with no real problems.  You might get a bogus offer or two, but those will not be phone calls, and they will be super easy to spot as BS.  

I always include my phone number and accept texts or calls.  Ads without a phone number are a big pain in the ass.  People want answers now, not when you finally get around to checking your email.

John Ranalletta

Have used CL to buy and sell.  When buying a vehicle, after deciding to buy and negotiating price, I meet the buyer at a local police station - met seller of '11 335d at Kansas City airport police station.  Got the title and with the seller asked the LEO at the desk to run a vin check.  If someone's trying to scam you, likely they won't agree to police station.

Selling: I'll try to meet the potential buyer at a shopping center parking lot (not always possible).  If they come to the house, I close the garage door to avoid letting the person case the joint.  

I don't post my phone and I don't reply to low ball offers.  Just don't reply.  ADVRIDER has a for sale forum that gets a lot of traffic.  Also, try special interest forums, but usually you have to post # posts before posting a for sale item.

Get the money and do the paperwork before the buyer loads the bike.  Had a guy show up to purchase my '02 GS.  He had a lifted f150 and an 8" ramp.  Luckily, we found a way to get the bike in the truck successfully.