IGNORED

Lodi, CA to South Carolina - First week of June

I’ll be picking up my new scoot June 2nd and riding her back to the East coast. 

The Tioga Pass portion is still in question, it may not open in time, but the rest is pretty firm. Suggestions, waypoints, alerts, or just meetups are welcome. I hope to hit Grizzly Giant, Tioga, a stop in Vegas, the Grand Canyon, the Petrified Forest, and the Dragon, with random stops along the way. I’m due back on the East coast the following Sunday, June 9th.

The Ride Home

1 hour ago, mrduck said:

Ride thru Death Valley on your way to Vegas, should be nice and not too hot in June

Don J

Are you talking CA 190?

RPondaRoad

CalTrans does a wonderful job of keeping our mountain roads open, but I'll be surprised if they get Tioga open in time for your trip.  Here's something to consider too...if they do get it open, you'll be riding in a tunnel of snow for some of the most beautiful parts of it and won't be able to see the beauty of the park (Yosemite). If Tioga hasn't been cleared or the snow tunnel thing is worrisome, I suggest leaving Lodi and coming up Highway 88 which will take you to Carson Pass.  Once over Carson you could continue on 88 to the Carson Valley or take Hwy 89 over recently opened Monitor Pass.  But, if you have a little time to spare in your schedule, you may want to take a left on Hwy 89 to nearby Lake Tahoe and connect to Highway 50 going around the south end of the lake.  (Traffic in S.Lake Tahoe, but the views of the Tahoe Basin are worth the aggravation)  Any of these routes will lead you to the Eastern Sierra and Hwy 395.  We've had a phenomenal snow year in California and Hwy 395 which follows the Sierra Nevada is stunning this year (My wife and I rode it in late April).  There are frequent gas / food /lodging and rest stops along the highway and it just beats the heck out of riding south down the San Joaquin valley to get around the mountains.

And mrducks suggestion about Death Valley is spot on.  The ride through the Panamint Valley and then through DV is amazing.  You'll want to check the weather first and/or plan on doing it first thing in the morning.  Ride safe, enjoy your trip.  

Oh..one last thing...this is what a newly opened section of mountain roadway looks like.  This is one of our local cyclists at 7,000 feet.  

unnamed.jpg

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, IT_Mike said:

Are you talking CA 190?

Yep, 190 is a superb two wheel road from 395........and a short side trip up to Dante’s view while there........

Don J

roadscholar

Here's something you might consider east of Grand Canyon depending on how much time you have, it could add as much as a day, worth it though. Monument Valley and Mesa Verde NP are pretty cool as well as the roads across southern Colorado, Hwy 17 and 12 especially. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZZpUcJi1sfcuDH5nt8eI2O4E3UQZg8MV&usp=sharing

And another little detour you could add in NC (there's a dozen other possibilities this is just one).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R_Te_uMkGrw5NUa0BD7GdI7KN1GtrV1O&usp=sharing

• Thanks 1

Heck you might as well pick up 550 out of Durango and ride to Ouray, of course if you get immersed in Colorado you may not go home to SC. 

13 hours ago, mickeym3 said:

Heck you might as well pick up 550 out of Durango and ride to Ouray, of course if you get immersed in Colorado you may not go home to SC. 

Now we’re getting a little too far off course. I have to be back on the East coast by Saturday. Six days total trip time.

You might have a little problem around Ft. Smith and Little Rock until the flood waters secede a bit.  Best of luck.

• Thanks 1
RPondaRoad

CalTrans opened Ebbetts Pass / Hwy 4 and Sonora Pass / Hwy 108 this week which go from the San Joaquin Valley to Hwy 395.  CalTrans reports that there are very high walls of snow (snow tunnel) piled on each side of the road.  The eastern slopes of both Ebbetts and Sonora are very steep and twisty.  I wouldn't go over them on two wheels just yet.  If you're planning on a route using Hwy 395, taking Hwy 88 from Lodi to Gardnerville is still your best bet.

Today’s the day! I’ll start a new thread under reports, but the map is updated with the current route. I may have to make a few updates for OK/AR, but we’ll see.
I plan to be on the road by noon.