IGNORED

1150 RT Center and side stand issues.

pjw73nh

Greetings,

I have two issues with the stands on my 02. When on the center stand, with a relatively full tank of fuel, It feels as if it is not going back far enough on the centerstand to prevent it from falling forward. Are there any adjustments or mods for this issue?

Also, Is there any kind of attachment or extension for a side stand. I am trying to prevent "sink in". I have seen a "plate" that is made to carry with you, but I would like something that will bolt on / attach to the oem stand. Or perhaps a replacement stand. I have searched around and come up empty handed. Will I have to fabricate something?

Thanks..

Paul.../NH

Greetings,

I have two issues with the stands on my 02. When on the center stand, with a relatively full tank of fuel, It feels as if it is not going back far enough on the centerstand to prevent it from falling forward. Are there any adjustments or mods for this issue?

Also, Is there any kind of attachment or extension for a side stand. I am trying to prevent "sink in". I have seen a "plate" that is made to carry with you, but I would like something that will bolt on / attach to the oem stand. Or perhaps a replacement stand. I have searched around and come up empty handed. Will I have to fabricate something?

Thanks..

Paul.../NH

I do not believe that I have heard of an R1150RT rolling off its centrestand uncommanded.

There are various 'Foot' attachmants available for the RT. The one that comes to mind is the Wunderlich extender.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Paul, this is a very suitable topic for my first posting to this list. I have a 2003 R1150RT (manufactured 11/02) and my side stand gives me the same concern about not appearing to go forward enough. In addition, the foot is not at 90degrees to the bike when down and is tilted down at the front -- ie in a "negative lift" position. I am wondering if the sidestand is bent backwards. Anybody else out there who can shed light on this?

Alistair Commins

Toronto, Ontario

1993 R1150RT

ShovelStrokeEd

I have never had any BMW roll off the centerstand by itself. It is a non-issue.

As to the side stand, Touratech makes a foot for it that will help spread the load. I did have a sink in problem happen to me on my '94R1100RS, fully laden with bags and two big duffles. Mid August in Northern Wisconsen. Bike went right over the top. Back then, nothing else was available and shortly thereafter, I obtained a 4" utility box cover from my local electrical supply house, tethered it and kept it in my tank bag when not in use and tied to the clutch lever when deployed.

I have seen a whole bunch of RT's parked in the dirt and none of them have fallen over so I don't think its a big problem. BTW, when on the side stand, I always put the bike in gear so rolling is not a problem.

Michael Fajans

You can also purchase from BMW a "police" sidestand that locks in place (they are slightly different for different years). To return it to the bike you must put a tiny bit of pressure down on it as you are pushing it back. In other words when the stand in is in use it can not fold up.

Ed, I also used the utility box cover under my K75 sidestand with great results. But the foot of the sidestand would sit flat on the plate: the foot of my R1150RT does not -- it is probably up by about 15 degrees on the front side. Any idea if this is normal?

Alistair

Ed, I also used the utility box cover under my K75 sidestand with great results. But the foot of the sidestand would sit flat on the plate: the foot of my R1150RT does not -- it is probably up by about 15 degrees on the front side. Any idea if this is normal?

Alistair

Alistair,

I'm confused with your description. Are you saying that the main portion of sidestand (its length) angles toward front of bike when deployed ? If so, that sounds very normal to me. Alternately, if your issue is that the "foot" (small triangular bottom-most section) does not sit flattly on pavement (assuming level pavement such as concrete garage floor), that seems irregular and suggestive of something bent (sidestand or its mount).

Wooster who once found his RT on center stand leaning precipitiously to port at Mickey D's summer parking lot.

For any w/o medical insurance, suture self

It's the small triangular plate at the end of the sidestand which doesn't sit flat on the ground. What I am trying to get a feel for is whether or not this is an 1150 thing, or whether I have a bent stand. The paint is perfect -- no signs of cracking or other indications of a bend on the shaft.

Alistair

I don't know if you still on this topic...But. I also have a 2003 R1150RT. Mine works just like yours. The side stand doesn't appear to extend forward all the way, and the bottom plate does not lay flat on the ground. I thought the stand was bent too. So I remedies this by bolting a "Fat Foot" to the bottom plate. www.schneidersinc.com

It still looks bent, but it gives me some reassurance that it won't sink in, or fall over.

DMC

That's exactly my situation. The flatfoot definitely exaggerates the effect but it is good to know that someone else has the same issue. Not exactly Germanic precision...

The other thing to remember is that the Fat Foot cuts down ground clearance on the left side when cornering. I used the Fat Foot for a year or so, but then pulled it because I had gorund down half the thing anyway. I keep a small plastic plate in my tankbag for soft ground parking.

Archived