IGNORED

Tire load ratings ??

joeb

Comparing Michelin pr4gt vs. 5s ,I've noticed that  many have asked about the as yet unavailable 5gt's. Unless I'm missing something here , which is likely, it appears the gt4's have the same load rating as the pr5's ....73 rear  58 front.

So in theory, shouldnt the 5s and the gt4's have about the same sidewall stiffness ?

20 minutes ago, joeb said:

Comparing Michelin pr4gt vs. 5s ,I've noticed that  many have asked about the as yet unavailable 5gt's. Unless I'm missing something here , which is likely, it appears the gt4's have the same load rating as the pr5's ....73 rear  58 front.

So in theory, shouldnt the 5s and the gt4's have about the same sidewall stiffness ?

Morning joeb   

I theory, yes/ in actuality, not necessarily.

Load rating is more for a tire's safe load carrying ability (plus an additional safety factor if overloaded)  & still be on the safe side (not overheat, shred, or blow out) than on how the tire performs at speed with a load, or performs (handling/braking wise)   at or near  maximum loading.  

You could have 2 almost identical tires with the same size, same load rating, same speed rating but one could have an extra ply or some other minor construction change to improve handling/braking at or near max tire loading, or to improve tire wear when operating at or near max tire loading.

Thanks much. I just got off the phone with Michelin customer service and although I didnt get any additional  useful info ( think the girl was just reading off a chart ) she did confirm that the 5's are now the recommended tire. I think I'll give them a try as ive been happy with the 4's. 

• Like 1