IGNORED

Removing relay socket

Greetings,

I have a problem with my horn wiring resulting the an inoperable horn.  I have discovered that the circuit from the relay to the horn button has very high resistance, about 5 Mohm.  This is on the wire that provides 12 volts to the switch.  The ground wire however has near zero resistance. I would like to remove the relay socket.  Does any one know if I can remove it from the top or do I have to remove the entire fuse/relay assembly?  I have relay socket contacts to replace if necessary and if the problem is not in the socket I will probably run a new wire but need access to the bottom of the socket.

dirtrider
9 hours ago, 11101110 said:

Greetings,

I have a problem with my horn wiring resulting the an inoperable horn.  I have discovered that the circuit from the relay to the horn button has very high resistance, about 5 Mohm.  This is on the wire that provides 12 volts to the switch.  The ground wire however has near zero resistance. I would like to remove the relay socket.  Does any one know if I can remove it from the top or do I have to remove the entire fuse/relay assembly?  I have relay socket contacts to replace if necessary and if the problem is not in the socket I will probably run a new wire but need access to the bottom of the socket.

Morning 11101110

5 M ohm sort of says that you might be  measuring the wrong ends of the wire on each end as that is too high of a resistance for most poor connections but not high enough for a complete open.

I have had those relay sockets out long  ago but the wire harness was removed from the bike (basically I can't remember if they come out the top or the bottom). My guess is  out the bottom as I remember getting them out without cutting wires or cutting up the fuse box up.  

Are you measuring the resistance on the Brown/Yellow wire from the horn relay socket terminal cavity #5 to the horn switch connector terminal cavity #8? That should yea/neigh the main harness wire  Brown/Yellow wire.

Most times I find the open (or break) in the pig tail harness running from the handlebar switch to the under tank connector (usually at or near a zip tie).

Hi dirtrider,

I have disassembled the left handle bar switch assembly and removed the horn button from the circuit.  My 5 Mohm measurement occurred on the brn w/yel wire only between the relay socket and the button.  I am likely to run a new wire to fix this if it means disassembling the bike.  there appears to be some slack under the relay socket so I was hoping that I could remove it from the top without having to remove the the whole fuse box.

dirtrider
9 hours ago, 11101110 said:

Hi dirtrider,

I have disassembled the left handle bar switch assembly and removed the horn button from the circuit.  My 5 Mohm measurement occurred on the brn w/yel wire only between the relay socket and the button.  I am likely to run a new wire to fix this if it means disassembling the bike.  there appears to be some slack under the relay socket so I was hoping that I could remove it from the top without having to remove the the whole fuse box.

Evening 11101110

What is the resistance measurement between the button & the first connector under the fuel tank? (that is the place I usually find the open)

I have not found a connector under the fuel tank.  I have found a connector behind the instrument cluster and between that and the handle bar I have no resistance.  However between the other side of the connector and the relay socket I have megaohms of resistance.  Is there another connector?  I haven't been able to locate one.

On the upside I found a pin that had "come loose" on the handle bar side of this connector and using the powers of deduction I replaced it into one of the three possible locations and now my four way flashers work for the first time since owning the bike.  They are deactivated for police use.

dirtrider
33 minutes ago, 11101110 said:

I have not found a connector under the fuel tank.  I have found a connector behind the instrument cluster and between that and the handle bar I have no resistance.  However between the other side of the connector and the relay socket I have megaohms of resistance.  Is there another connector?  I haven't been able to locate one.

On the upside I found a pin that had "come loose" on the handle bar side of this connector and using the powers of deduction I replaced it into one of the three possible locations and now my four way flashers work for the first time since owning the bike.  They are deactivated for police use.

Evening 11101110

No other connector (that I know of) but on police bikes you just never know.

Just a follow up.

The relay sockets in the fuse box can be released with a thin metal device like a radio removal tool for a Mercedes.  They then slide down.  Alternatively you can remove the bottom of the fuse box with two socked head cap screws on the side and two Philips head screws in the rear wheel well.  You also have to remove the four screws that hols the top section of the fuse box to the base.  You can then remove the bottom of the fuse box to access the wires and sockets.  You can then remove the sockets from the bottom of the fuse box by depressing the release tab and sliding them down.

As for the horn problem.  It appears the brown with yellow wire is open between the fuse box and the front connector.  There was also another brown with yellow strip wire connected to red or magenta wire with a blue strip through a diode in a tiny plastic box.  This wire did not appear to be connected to the horn Brown w/yellow wire. This may be related to the horn as activating the horn button when a siren is installed activates the siren horn is some situation. 

In addition since this is an RTP the civilian horn relay socket is connected in parallel to the RTP socket.  The difference is the RTP is powered direct from the battery.  So if someone wanted to have their horn work only when the ignition is on all that would be needed is to remove the horn relay from the RTP socket and place it in the standard location.