IGNORED

Rear brake failure 2018 RT

jimmyd

I have a 2018 Rt with 12500km on it. I was out Thursday for a 200km ride ,when I got home I could smell something odd. I checked the bike and found the rear rotor was extremely hot. Tried turning the rear wheel and it was binding on the brake caliper. Luckily I had a service appointment booked for the next day. The service tech noted the following.

brake pedal has almost no travel
rear brake rotor showed signs of over heating
rear brake pads were falling apart along the top edges,surfaces were well worn
cleaned rotor
serviced caliper
replaced rear brake pads n/c
backed off "blow by" adjustment to rear master cylinder
bled rear brake and replaced fluid
cycled abs pump

The rear wheel is now turning freely , I rode it home and all appears normal.

I am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience.

dirtrider
24 minutes ago, jimmyd said:

I have a 2018 Rt with 12500km on it. I was out Thursday for a 200km ride ,when I got home I could smell something odd. I checked the bike and found the rear rotor was extremely hot. Tried turning the rear wheel and it was binding on the brake caliper. Luckily I had a service appointment booked for the next day. The service tech noted the following.

brake pedal has almost no travel
rear brake rotor showed signs of over heating
rear brake pads were falling apart along the top edges,surfaces were well worn
cleaned rotor
serviced caliper
replaced rear brake pads n/c
backed off "blow by" adjustment to rear master cylinder
bled rear brake and replaced fluid
cycled abs pump

The rear wheel is now turning freely , I rode it home and all appears normal.

I am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience.

Morning jimmyd

I somewhat question that 'backed off "blow by" adjustment to rear master cylinder'.

I haven't looked at the 2018 RT  but I don't think it has a rear brake pedal up-stop, if no up-stop then exactly what would/could have been adjusted that would effect the fixed non adjustable  "blow by" ?

I have seen similar rear brake overheating problems (not on the wetheads though),  on 'some' earlier bikes with pedal stops  it was the "blow by"  adjustment but in most cases it was the rider's foot inadvertently resting on the rear brake pedal.   

Exportman

I have found that the rear caliper needs to be checked regularly as it ( like many other bikes) has a tendency to sick on the slide pins especially it is ridden all year round. As a result the brake caliper does not slide back and one ( the non pressure side) stays in contact with the disk.