IGNORED

Sena 20s has random tones, what are they

ltljohn

My SENA 20s has a random "boo beep" tone.  It is not the pairing tone.  I have turned off my GPS and bluetooth on my phone.  It does this whether I am paired with someone or just by myself.  The timing of the tone is completely random.  Anyone have an answer?

Want to hear a weird one? I was going out the other day and reached for the top of my helmet to put down the sun visor and got the same "boo Beep". It seemed to do it just as my hand made contact with the helmet. :dontknow:

Happened a few times so more investigation is due.

If your voice activated intercom options are "on", you might be triggering them with unusual wind currents over the microphone, coughing, or other noises. A tone can then indicate a failure to connect.

If your voice activated intercom options are "on", you might be triggering them with unusual wind currents over the microphone, coughing, or other noises. A tone can then indicate a failure to connect.

There is also a "tap" sensor on the 20s EVO and there is "Ambient" mode. Either of these could be being triggered.

Motion Sensor:

Motion Sensor Sensitivity determines the sensitivity when you double
tap on the surface of the 20S EVO to enter voice command mode.

Ambient:

You can hear the ambient sound outside of your helmet by activating
the Ambient Mode. To activate the Ambient Mode, press twice the
Ambient Mode Button which is placed on the bottom of the clamp
unit. To deactivate the Ambient Mode, press twice the Ambient Mode
Button again.

12 hours ago, ltljohn said:

Just ringing and buzzing and the occasional voice

I haven’t had any of those issues. Are you bike powering it?

How old is the unit?

It has a 2 year warranty, I believe.

Do a Master reset. The firmware is 2.0 I think.

I would send a email to SENA Tech service

16 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I haven’t had any of those issues. Are you bike powering it?

How old is the unit?

It has a 2 year warranty, I believe.

Do a Master reset. The firmware is 2.0 I think.

I would send a email to SENA Tech service

These noises are when I am not in my helmet in response to Bud.  I have updated the firmware, I will try the  master reset though.  Unit is long out of warranty.  I guess my next move is the email to Sena.

Rockosmith

I have noticed on occasion when reaching up to open or close visor, the collar on my jacket contacts the jog dial and turns the volume up.  When volume gets maxed out you do get a “boo beep” sort of tone.  Seems to be more common with cold weather gear, larger collar.

• Like 1

That seems possible, I will give that a try.  Unfortunately I will be away for a week so I will report here when I get back.  I have also contacted SENA support.

I do not know but curious if other Sena users have the same experience as I do. This is a very loud PING... that for no known reason just blasts my ears at some known locations every time I pass them.

I am guessing it has some relationship to something electronic- I'm thinking security system/motion detector or some such at a home or business. Really loud high pitched painful BING!...

anyone else?

Hopz that could be a Garmin feature to alert you to POIs that you are near. It can be turned on and off and has a parameter to set the distance from the POI to trigger the alert. I had it on, once, and it was annoying!

Bill_Walker
On 5/3/2019 at 12:30 PM, ltljohn said:

I have the 20S not the EVO

The 20S has the same tap and ambient mode features.

• 4 weeks later...

Following this up, I have been in contact with SENA.  Multiple resets and a firmware update have not changed anything.  The tones are completely random.  The last response from tech support is my unit is failed and long out of warranty.  The offered a discount on a refurbished 20S EVO or 30 K with a 2 yr warranty.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 12:09 PM, ltljohn said:

Following this up, I have been in contact with SENA.  Multiple resets and a firmware update have not changed anything.  The tones are completely random.  The last response from tech support is my unit is failed and long out of warranty.  The offered a discount on a refurbished 20S EVO or 30 K with a 2 yr warranty.

With Sena as long as you are in warranty you are golden. But out of warranty it's a brick. They don't even have a repair center. My biggest gripe is their units are not waterproof. Someone needs to come up with a rain condom for the unit. I think water may be the underlying problem with the newer units.

Alan