IGNORED

paint blister

JamesW

OK, I'm trying to keep my pristine '93 R1100RSL in its present condition that being absolutely like new.  With that in mind what can be done, if anything, to protect the paint from blistering on the left side panel just above the left cylinder head pipe which is closer to the painted lower section of the side panel than is the right side due to the necessary piston connecting rod offset.  Too bad both connecting rods can't occupy the same place on the crankshaft which is of course impossible but wouldn't that be neat?  You figure out how that can be done and you would probably end up with more money than even Jeff Bezos.  lol..lol..  Seriously though I wish there would be some kind of heat shield or coating that could solve this potential damage to the painted surface on the lower side panel which can occur so easily in stop and go traffic on a hot summer day.  

21 minutes ago, JamesW said:

OK, I'm trying to keep my pristine '93 R1100RSL in its present condition that being absolutely like new.  With that in mind what can be done, if anything, to protect the paint from blistering on the left side panel just above the left cylinder head pipe which is closer to the painted lower section of the side panel than is the right side due to the necessary piston connecting rod offset.  Too bad both connecting rods can't occupy the same place on the crankshaft which is of course impossible but wouldn't that be neat?  You figure out how that can be done and you would probably end up with more money than even Jeff Bezos.  lol..lol..  Seriously though I wish there would be some kind of heat shield or coating that could solve this potential damage to the painted surface on the lower side panel which can occur so easily in stop and go traffic on a hot summer day.  

Afternoon James

They can run both connecting rods off of the same place on the crankshaft using a master rod & hinged slave rod BUT then you end up with a 180° firing engine & that is shake city.

As far as heat protection goes, there are ways & if you go through older archive threads you can find some novel things from aluminum heat shields, to wrapped pipes in that area, to heat insulation. Problem is they all ruin the pristine look. 

So the short answer is to never fast idle the engine while sitting still.

If you can find enough real-estate  to mount one then a blower fan with 2 flexible tubes (one  blowing on each side hot spot ) then you might be able to hide that but still have it supply cold cooling air to the pipe/plastic area. If you come with a neat easily mounted neat packaged one then there might even be a limited market for it.    

Hi James

I was never quite sure why BMW didn't use dual wall headers which would have helped to reduce toasting the Tupperware at the exhaust outlet.  I wonder if something like this could be made to work.   It might be too long at 14.5 CM and trimmed down, or even cut in half using each half on the left and right header pipes.  The gauge is thin enough, you should be able to do some shaping if needed.  At under $13 delivered it would not be a big financial risk to try it...I may even try it on my '99RT

https://www.ebay.com/i/333115636041?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D1e9e6058455141e1ab13bf42d5d2c96e%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D112721003567%26itm%3D333115636041image.png.fd6efa2ac49650d8f49e3ec27748444b.png

Hi Paul and thanks for that link.  That device has possibility maybe cut in half and put half on each side.

Hi D.R., never thought of that but guess it would work but not good vibes.  I'll do some searching.