IGNORED

My '04 R1150RT doesn't surge!!

CharlieAllnut

CharlieAllnut

I bought this RT just before the '05's came out and have put about 13,000 miles on it under all sorts of road/weather conditions and I've never noticed anything resembling surging. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY MOTORCYCLE? Or am I not riding it properly? (g) Thanks (probably) for any comments.

CharlieAllnut

I've really never noticed any surge. Is this a case of "some do and some don't." Or is the surging sometimes so faint as to go unnoticed?

I don't understand why/what you are asking. You love the bike, and you are looking for problems with it? Just ride it, for pete's sake. smirk.gif

Welcome,

As a new BMW owner and forum member you are required to choose an irrational fear regarding your motorcycle.

The following are perennial favorites;

Final drive

Surging

ABS

Splines

Clutch

Speedometer/Odometer innacuracy (personal favorite)

Oil level

Tire contents(nitrogen, oxygen, helium, selenium)

Lights

Deer

Raccoons

Wallabies (#2 with a bullet)

and we thank you for your support

pete

Paul Mihalka

I've got the impression that CharlieAllnut got his tongue firmly in his cheek - David, of all guys, you should expect that! grin.gif

I've got the impression that CharlieAllnut got his tongue firmly in his cheek - David, of all guys, you should expect that! grin.gif

Paybacks are hell! smile.gif

CharlieAllnut

I'm interested in anything relating to BMW's in general and RT's in particular, including discussions of other riders' problems. The much discussed surging is a "problem" I'm happy not to have, but I'm curious about it anyway and wonder if others with 04 RT's do have it. That's all. Ride safely always and have a great day

The twin spark motor introduced in '03 in Europe, '04 in the USA pretty much cured surging. Some people have reported that it is still there, most have reported it gone.

My '02 surged a bit, the dealer swapped the cat code plug and it was a lot better. Then I started riding the bike outside the affected rev range and forgot about it.

With my '04 I deliberatley rode it in a surge - enhancing mode and there was a just noticeable lack of smoothness. Curiosity satisfied I returned to riding it outside the affected range and forgot about it again.

Andy thumbsup.gif

I think I'm too new to beemers to differentiate "surging" from the natural power on/off of a high torque engine. Toss in some natural drive train slop and I'm confused further.

Bob

"As a new BMW owner and forum member you are required to choose an irrational fear regarding your motorcycle."

I'll take 1, 4, 7 and 10 with 1 being top of the list...Worring about spines caused me to buy an extended warranty..

Thanks......I feel better now......

OH......The above applies to Kathy's '04 1150RT...I just bought an '05 1200RT so I'll have to work up an applicable paranoia list for it !!!

The fun never ends..... dopeslap.gifbncry.gif

Just purchased an '04 R1150RT and it doesn't surge either. As this is my 3d BMW motorrad, I'll transfer my spline paranoia from the other two to the latest addition!

I have a 04 r1150rt black limited no surge runs great, put updated cct in and no start up rattles until oil pressure 22000 miles.

I sold the 04 RT that did not ever surge and none of the before mentioned issues ever came up. Now reading all this found here makes me wonder about the new bike that has yet to make it to the US. Being w/o a bike I quess makes it all that much worse as I have little left to do as look forward to and wonder as what is to come of the GT and how much I will miss the RT even after I get it. Maybe I'll chose to be happy with that 1/2 full cup of beer. thumbsup.gif

My '04 RT doesn't surge and thankfully neither does my R90. Now my brother's '99 Buell X1 is a different matter all together!

Final drive - OK so far

Surging - never felt it

ABS - OK with me

Splines - destroyed by 13K

Clutch - Ditto

Speedometer/Odometer innacuracy - bought a GPS

Oil level - always low, I think I going to mount an auxiliary oil tank on the pillon

Tire contents - polluted air for me

Lights - many

Deer - just as likely to nail one on my street as anywhere else

Raccoons - in the back yard last saturday - in daylight

Wallabies - that's what that thing was!

Sell the bike now before it's too late, and you're assimilated.

- RickP.

As with anything BMW, if you throw enough money at it, the problem can be solved. Perhaps a local dealer can reinstall your lost surge for a few hundred dollars. As for me, I'm happier without the surge. However, the dealer will likely tell you there's no surge problem, as they did to me with my 97 and 02 RT. It only surged when it was running. The say, Turn the engine off, and it will go away. That'll be $200 please...

Couchrocket
Welcome,

As a new BMW owner and forum member you are required to choose an irrational fear regarding your motorcycle.

Final drive

Surging

ABS

Splines

Clutch

Oil level

Lights

Deer

Raccoons

pete

Hey! You fogot "the burning of an intake valve at low milage!" I'm feeling left out!

Welcome,

Final drive

Surging

ABS

Splines

Clutch

Oil level

Lights

Deer

Raccoons

pete

Hey! You fogot "the burning of an intake valve at low milage!" I'm feeling left out!

And Steve's (Steve1962) plucking Pheasant's

Steve Carter

Hey if you like you can bring it over to my house an I can put the surge in that was left out by BMW. Should be no problem.

Howard

Archived