IGNORED

Shift Linkage Service

Qball 16

I get an occasional false neutral when downshifting on my 06 RT, mostly on a 3rd to 2nd downshift, but sometimes on a 2nd to 1st downshift.  It usually happens when I'm being a bit frisky approaching the bends, and has let to the odd sphincter clinching moment as I dove into a corner in neutral...

I'm going to tear apart the external shift linkage for an inspection, cleaning & lubrication to eliminate any possible cause here - but also because it's probably never been done on this bike before, annnnnd I need something to do this rainy weekend.  I picked up the plastic washers & bushings from my LBS to replace, if necessary - part #8 and #10 on the attached diagram - and I'll certainly clean out any crud in the joints and grease them for reassembly.

I'm not great at finding related info here using the search function, but I did find a few tidbits.  If anyone experienced in this procedure has any words of wisdom or advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it!  Tips?  Tricks?  Do-Not-Do's?  Recommendations for type of grease???

I'll take anything I can get!!!

Cheers!

Shift Linkage.jpg

22 minutes ago, Qball 16 said:

I get an occasional false neutral when downshifting on my 06 RT, mostly on a 3rd to 2nd downshift, but sometimes on a 2nd to 1st downshift.  It usually happens when I'm being a bit frisky approaching the bends, and has let to the odd sphincter clinching moment as I dove into a corner in neutral...

I'm going to tear apart the external shift linkage for an inspection, cleaning & lubrication to eliminate any possible cause here - but also because it's probably never been done on this bike before, annnnnd I need something to do this rainy weekend.  I picked up the plastic washers & bushings from my LBS to replace, if necessary - part #8 and #10 on the attached diagram - and I'll certainly clean out any crud in the joints and grease them for reassembly.

I'm not great at finding related info here using the search function, but I did find a few tidbits.  If anyone experienced in this procedure has any words of wisdom or advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it!  Tips?  Tricks?  Do-Not-Do's?  Recommendations for type of grease???

I'll take anything I can get!!!

Cheers!

Shift Linkage.jpg

Afternoon  Qball 16

The usual problem is lever (1) getting loose on the transmission stub shaft so first thing  check bolt (5) for being tight.  

Before you can remove the linkage be sure to completely remove clips (11) as those retain the sockets on the balls.

As a  rule problems in upshifting is (could be)  the linkage or internal trans) & problems downshifting is usually internal transmission.

18 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

problems downshifting is usually internal transmission.

$#%&@, that's what I was afraid of :classic_mellow:  Hopefully this service will just smooth out the shifting overall, and I'll have to live with the occasional false neutral...

Thanks D.R.