IGNORED

Melting Tupperware?

Penrod

I've read about the "heat" of an 1150RT on these threads and the owners manual suggests NOT TO START AND STAND STILL. My question is will the heat actually damage the tupperware? Does the engine heat up enough to melt the plastic? OR does it damage the engine in anyway?

I've read about the "heat" of an 1150RT on these threads and the owners manual suggests NOT TO START AND STAND STILL. My question is will the heat actually damage the tupperware? Does the engine heat up enough to melt the plastic? OR does it damage the engine in anyway?

In order of occurence and probability - the paint bubbles around the headers. The plastic distorts. The HES can fail, the oil check window can fail and the bike catch fire.

A lot of bikes show some paint damage from being in traffic.

I have read on this forum of three or four bikes that have cooked the HES when thier owners left them on (usually fast) idle whilst running them in the garage over winter, the owners being distracted for 10-20 minutes.

These are air cooled bikes, with oil assist for the heads. The oil cooler also needs airflow else the oil just gets hotter and hotter - enough to distort that platic oil window.

Andy

Archived