IGNORED

Toys in the Attic

TEWKS

Have you held on to anything from your childhood? I don't remember exactly when I made the conscious decision to hold on to this cigar box full of tanks & planes but, I think it was pretty early on the ride. Got anything? :dontknow:

Theme Music

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

roadscholar
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Have you held on to anything from your childhood? I don't remember exactly when I made the conscious decision to hold on to this cigar box full of tanks & planes but, I think it was pretty early on the ride. Got anything? :dontknow:

Theme Music

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That cigar box might be worth something, may want to check it out. Hey that looks like a 707 in there, I didn't realize you were that old.. :grin: 

• Like 1

Bill, the box is in pretty rough shape but the Car In the picture? I bet would help fund a comfortable retirement. :thumbsup:

A couple F-104s, an F-4, a MiG-21, a Huey, a Stuka (minus canopy)(?), an M47 and M48 tank, a King Tiger tank, and a Bell 47 (aka H-13) Helicopter. And the previously mentioned 747. One or two other things I can't tell enough to guess on.

Yep, I'm a nerd.

• Like 1

That's impressive! :thumbsup: In the right front corner you can see the pistol grip of a mini German Luger. I had a matching scale Colt 45 but, going back close to 20 years ago, my little nephew swindled it out of the box. :grin: 

Edit

The Stuka must of lost it's canopy in a dive bombing mission off the shed roof. :D

• Haha 1
Bill_Walker

I've got a wine box full of wrapped-up 1/43 scale die-cast cars I got from my mom's house when she passed away.  She packed them up when she converted "my" bedroom to a guest room and they lived in the box in the closet for many years.  Now they're living in a box in my garage.

• Like 1

True story from a friend.  He said he hooked up a turntable to his computer (since he doesn't have an amplifier) and was playing a record.  His 14 yr old son came in and was amazed, then asked where did the CD get inserted. (sigh ...)

• Haha 1

Many years ago, I had an old turntable but the needle arm was broken IIRC. Anyway, remembering seeing pics of the old funnel type micrphone speakers, I took a piece of paper and rolled it into a funnel shape and stuck a sewing needle through the small end on an angle.

I set the needle on the turning record and sure enough, I could hear the music through the funnel. It was quiet but it worked.

I guess that was going in the opposite engineering direction as your friend. :grin:

I wasn't the best reader growing up ( I still kinda suck at it :D ) but for the longest time, I thought the box read "Grand Pricks" :dontknow: :grin: My Mother overheard me one time and quickly corrected that. :classic_blush:

szurszewski

Jeremiah, my now ten year old son, had been able to operate a turntable for most of his life now. I assume he could also operate a CD player, but I’ve never seen him do it. We have one in one of the cars, but all our cds have been packed away since we put all that music onto “the computer” several years before he was born. 

Vinyl sales are going up, by the way, while cds and even paid downloads of music are going down. 

Umm this could get long. I am just now going through a purge to downsize and am coming across some real gems with value, or just personal value, but way too much of what was I thinking.  The categories include Electronics, Records, Board games & Comics, Sports memorabilia.  Hmm I'll come back with something.  And yes I think I have that Toys in the Attic LP....unless my bother never returned it after he borrowed it 40 years ago!

Well as a musician and audiophile,  I have always kept my turntable.  Records have much more presence and depth of sound than any digital recording.  So when i really want to listen to music rather than just a background sound, I do the real thing - turntable etc.  Now that said, back in the day a stylus that tracked less than one gram was around $100, guess what good ones are now... Ouch!  That old supply and demand really bites hard.  So long story short, I am happy to see vinyl and turntables coming back.  Not just for my wallet's sake, but people might actually be appreciating music again.  (Okay, I am off my soap box) :-)

Oh boy.  My folks held on to EVERYTHING (you've seen Hoarders?).  Over the last few years I've been dragging my old toys home and disposing of them, mostly on ebay.  What am I gonna do, relive my childhood?  As I recall, it wasn't all that great the first time around!  All that junk has steadily going out the door.  And I can't say that I've regretted getting rid of any of it.  Actually, my only regret is that I played with, and BROKE the vast majority of it.  I'd have a summer in Europe by now if they were all NIB.  But sadly I've been able to fund only a handful of backyard cookouts.  But people really want some of this stuff, for whatever reason, so it's a win-win.

My favorite "disposal" was this big HO train set landscape kit that I got one year.  I never really had the room to set it up, so it was still new.  I sold it to a fire-fighter, recovering from a quadruple bypass.  He said he needed a project to stay busy through his recovery, but he wasn't well enough to make the drive.  So we drove about 150 miles round trip to drop it off at his place.  He insisted on paying for it more than I could refuse to take the money.  I think it amounted to gas money.  I really hope he and his grandson were able to share a lot of quality time.  Maybe they still are!  :-)

• Like 2
Bill_Walker
2 minutes ago, elkroeger said:

Actually, my only regret is that I played with, and BROKE the vast majority of it.

Some of us are wired differently.  I was always traumatized any time I broke one of my toys.  My aforementioned 1/43 die-cast cars are mostly in very good condition.