IGNORED

Thinking it is almost time to Sell the Bike- welcome your comments

hopz

Almost time to begin to think about maybe sort-of selling the bike.... (it's an emotional thing...)

The bike is a 2014, R1200RT- fewer then 9,000 miles. all the desired accessories, (Peg Lowering Kit, Front and Rear Side Bars, Factory Low Seat, never dropped/damaged, 49 L Top case from my '05 RT- which fits perfectly.) Full Audio and GPS all work perfectly. No issues- New tires- fewer than  200 miles on the Pirelli Angel 2's. Matt Silver in color.

What sources/sites/services do you like for realistic prices? 

May or may not go something else, probably not... 

Thoughts and comments welcomed..

Oh wow, Nada tells me I should have jumped on the trade deal I had with my RT towards a new GSA a little bit ago.  Low R $6100 Average R $8000. I don't want to believe the numbers are that low. :facepalm:

Edit...whew, looks like there's a $3k bump for the premium package which I believe, most of the 14's came with.

Max has an ebay ad which I would consider high..to very high.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-R-Series/401719055763?hash=item5d88525593:g:3A4AAOSwTnBceWTD

At our local dealer (I've become friends with one of the sales guys), they just sold a similar bike with 18k on it for$14750 without a GPS.  

Whenever I am selling or buying a used bike I find Cycletrader to be s great reference guide.  I do a nationwide search for the bike I am selling or buying and may go +/- a year or 2.  It usually provides a good price range and helps me decide where to price my bike based on condition and mileage 

• Like 2

I look at completed Ebay auctions as one source.  Sometimes there isn't a big enough sample size to make a realistic estimate, but it can help give a sense of what people are willing to pay.  Otherwise, it's kind of hit or miss.

• Like 1
RAMBLIN RED

Sounds like you are considering leaving two wheels altogether. Right now I am knee deep in repairing my old dog, about twice a day I ask myself  "do I really need this?" So far the answer is.....yeah

Good luck in your decision.

You can go NADA or Kelly Blue Book for used MC realistic retail and trade in values. Also the IBMWR market place will give you an idea what the going price may be and you can also advertise your bike on this site. Good luck in what ever way you decide to go.

Besides the places already mentioned I use the website below to search through all of the various craigslist throughout the country.  It starts with those closest and then fans out.  Be sure to set the parameters to help narrow your search so you get the most accurate idea of what people are asking.  I rate this as the best source.  

https://www.searchtempest.com/ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The market seems to be $14,500 by searching the Mountain area Colorado/New Mexico Kansas etc... fortunately that is what I had in mind. Thanks Ed... that's a spiffy tool.

• Like 1
I might be right behind you. Had a lumbar fusion last halloween and just had further cervical fusion. Not fun at all. Craigslist seems to be popular, just don't know if I want to deal with the non-sense, but there aren't a lot of choices. Good luck with the sale.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to remember a post a while ago from you about quitting. Curious what the reason may be, have you lost your edge, or your desire to ride? You may be struggling with the decision, but my guess is, deep down, you know the answer. I'm 70, and last year I was coming back from Vancouver Island and a guy came up and started talking while I was waiting for the ferry. He said he knew my bike, said it was too top heavy, too much for him. He rode a long and low Harley look alike. Then he said he was 86!! He instantly became my inspiration. At this stage of life I keep monitoring myself being aware that one day I'll get the signal to quit. Hope it's a ways off. 

Selling a bike is a pain in the butt! People make an appointment to see it, and never show. I sold a Harley so I could get an RT. I couldn't get a fair price, and I felt like I almost gave it away. When I bought my new RT I just traded in the old one. I didn't want to go through that again.

Good luck with your decision. Please keep us posted.

34 minutes ago, BigTup said:

I seem to remember a post a while ago from you about quitting. Curious what the reason may be, have you lost your edge, or your desire to ride? You may be struggling with the decision, but my guess is, deep down, you know the answer. I'm 70, and last year I was coming back from Vancouver Island and a guy came up and started talking while I was waiting for the ferry. He said he knew my bike, said it was too top heavy, too much for him. He rode a long and low Harley look alike. Then he said he was 86!! He instantly became my inspiration. At this stage of life I keep monitoring myself being aware that one day I'll get the signal to quit. Hope it's a ways off. 

Selling a bike is a pain in the butt! People make an appointment to see it, and never show. I sold a Harley so I could get an RT. I couldn't get a fair price, and I felt like I almost gave it away. When I bought my new RT I just traded in the old one. I didn't want to go through that again.

Good luck with your decision. Please keep us posted.

Here's a link about the oldest rider to do the four corners. https://advrider.com/f/threads/85-years-old-4-corners.69723/

Bob.....  I think riding has been a big part of your life, but I had the sense when we visited last fall, not any more.  I'll be a bit sad if you give it up, but recognize that we all evolve through the times.  Take care, my friend.

Thanks folks... there comes a time... and this is mine. The bike is for sale and we are ready. Listed to two of the major sales sites... but had a "mysterious" contact via text about the bile.

Obvious scam... I played him out a bit. He claimed to be a soldier in the Army on deployment and he wanted to buy the bike, sight unseen, and at the asking price- immediately offered to send the full amount to my PayPal account. If course PP has the Seller's guarantee to protect you- but there is some very fine print that the protection does not apply to vehicles...

After only a small bit of questioning and finding real issues with his story  I pushed him away. For instance he said he was Army. Well, unfortunately for him, I was Army also. He could not answer the basic question... such as what his MOS was (military occupational specialty ). He sent a photo of a military ID. which was of a clean shaved middle aged white guy. I insisted on a phone call and he  of course had a strong accent, was of some foreign extraction and clearly not an Anglo-Saxon Military guy. He went away to pick on others...

Sellers Beware...

• Like 1

Hopz  ... I saw your ad and what a nice bike.  I passed it along to a buddy in Canada looking to move up to a BMW RT.   And THAT is my favorite RT color!! 

Good luck with your sale! 

Same color as the RT I had....very nice and reasonably priced. Know you’ll miss riding some of the great roads there (buddy and I planning on leaving my RV in the Springs before doing more of them) but when you know it’s time, it’s time. GLWS. 

Hi hopz, Lately I've been kind of thinking along the same lines when it comes to motorcycling as in giving it up.  I'm 75 and just don't have the stamina for long distances anymore nor do I have the reaction time I once had.  Yesterday I took a short ride up the coast on the FJR and I did a foolish thing.  I tracked through a curve that was marked 35 mph and I somehow underestimated the apex location which caused me to go a few inches over the center line into oncoming traffic.  I lucked out when the other driver corrected quickly toward the shoulder.  I can't remember ever making a move like this.

I can't yet bring myself to sell my motorcycles so for now I'm just going to continue to think about things.  Wouldn't get much for either bike anyway.  Used oilheads don't fetch much even with very low miles and the same goes for an FJR.  Be doing good to get 3K for the BMW and maybe 6K for the FJR.  So big deal.

I see you're a home brewer, good on you!  I home brewed for about ten years, nothing like it.  I was an all grain brewer as I'm sure you are.  If I get back into it I'll probably stick to extract.  I say that now but I have a feeling I'll soon dig out the old grain crusher. :)

JW...a good friend told me something that stuck. I was flying very fast airplanes and riding the bike hard. As I keep adding birthdays his words of wisdom was slow down 1-2% for whatever you are doing for each year over 55. Seems like good advice and is working for me.  I’m slower on my bike now and crossing the stripe which I was doing doesn’t happen any more

I am hoping for another decade of riding, but you never really know how much more time each of us will get.   Strength, balance, reaction time and stamina all come into play and one or a combination of any of them can signal the time to slow down or stop. 

Hopz you are on multiple community boards and I've enjoyed your POV on a number of topics over the years. 

The very best to you as you move onto other interests in your life.

Update... After careful considerations and some rational thought... the 2014 R1200RT Wethead can be viewed at BMW Motorcycles of Denver. Not advertising- just information.

One of the nicest dealerships I have ever seen. The manager is a real pro and a nice guy as a bonus. The discussion led to a very realistic and rational pricing which I was pretty close to in the beginning. This is a 9000 mile bike in perfect condition.