IGNORED

Not Going Anywhere For A While

Howles

I finished performing a whole lot of maintenance on my 04 1150 a few weeks ago.  Was reminded of how much I love this machine after a couple of too short rides.  

I went to start it this morning  but my luck must've run out.  When I switch on the ignition, the dashboard lights all come on but once the start up ABS test completes, they all dim considerably.  No start possible.

The battery is holding 12.9v when the dashboard lights are initially switched on but only 6.0v when the dashboard lights dim.  Never mind what voltage is under a starting load!  Suffice to say the battery (about 4 years old) is a goner.

I've decided to not replace the battery until I return from a trip north in a few months. I'll replace it when I return.

In the meantime how should I store the bike:

1.  Keep the current battery connected and on a trickle charger?

2.  Keep the battery connected but no need for a charger?

3.  Disconnect the battery?

4.  Makes no difference?

Yank it. Sitting with a dead battery in the bike for a few months might result in the battery terminals and cables to corrode compounding your problems beyond a simple battery R&R.   Not sure if a trickle charger would stop the corrosion with what appears to be a shorted battery cell as the battery wouldn't really take on a charge and the other cells will deteriorate over those months.

34 minutes ago, Howles said:

I finished performing a whole lot of maintenance on my 04 1150 a few weeks ago.  Was reminded of how much I love this machine after a couple of too short rides.  

I went to start it this morning  but my luck must've run out.  When I switch on the ignition, the dashboard lights all come on but once the start up ABS test completes, they all dim considerably.  No start possible.

The battery is holding 12.9v when the dashboard lights are initially switched on but only 6.0v when the dashboard lights dim.  Never mind what voltage is under a starting load!  Suffice to say the battery (about 4 years old) is a goner.

I've decided to not replace the battery until I return from a trip north in a few months. I'll replace it when I return.

In the meantime how should I store the bike:

1.  Keep the current battery connected and on a trickle charger?

2.  Keep the battery connected but no need for a charger?

3.  Disconnect the battery?

4.  Makes no difference?

Afternoon Howles

It probably won't make much difference what you do but removal would be the sure way.

Disconnecting would also be just about as good.

Worst thing that you could do is keep a charger on it as that could  cause  some acid leakage then terminal area corrosion.

If you decide to just leave it as is then leave a load on it to run it completely down as once it is completely depleted there is no voltage potential to cause corrosion & nothing going on internally to cause acid leakage at the posts.

The down side to removal is then you need to remember where all the removed parts go when you return plus keep them out of harms way during your time away, or reassemble it (at least partially).