IGNORED

Mounting and dismounting the bike

Miguel!

I purchased a 2001 R1100RT 4 months ago, my first touring bike. Its much bigger than any of my previous bikes. So I have a few questions please that are probably easily answered by many here. Please excuse my ignorance. Inquiring minds just want to know!

I have a Corbin seat with a backrest (man, that unexpectedly added a lot of comfort). With the backrest in place, I cannot swing my leg over the bike but have to put the back of my boot on the seat between the gas tank and back rest and slide it over the seat. I get off the same way.

Question 1: 

• If you mount you bike while on the side stand, do you mount it from the left or right side? Mounting from the left could tip the bike over if you pushed it hard enough. Mounting from the right assumes the side stand will holds the bike up with the extra weight of the mounting rider but unless the side stand were to break, there's no danger in tipping over the bike but the seat is higher.  
  • Do you turn the bars fully left or right? It's certainly easier to lift the bike off the side stand when turned fully right since it changes the center of gravity.  Assume the bike is on level asphalt or concrete.
  • I assume everyone dismounts from the left side since the seat is lower. 

Question 2: If you mount the bike while on the center stand, do you rock it off the center stand while mounted or do you take it off the stand by rolling it forward with the  bars while one the left or right side. I've done both and believe I'm less likely to drop it while mounted and rocking it off the stand. Maybe its just a matter of more experience. 

Question 3: How do passengers mount? There's all sorts of options here I think. I've been riding for decades and have ridden other bikes two-up and understand how to instruct passenger when pillion so their actions don't imperil us while at speed. 

I'm likely to have a few other questions and I promise I won't ask what's in your touring tool bag! :19:

Thanks. Miguel

Bill_Walker
8 hours ago, Miguel! said:

If you mount you bike while on the side stand, do you mount it from the left or right side? Mounting from the left could tip the bike over if you pushed it hard enough. Mounting from the right assumes the side stand will holds the bike up with the extra weight of the mounting rider but unless the side stand were to break, there's no danger in tipping over the bike but the seat is higher.  

Are you talking about standing on the footpeg to mount?  If so, I think you've got your left and right backwards.  If not, I guess I don't understand how you'd push it over while mounting, unless your foot is really dragging as you slide it across the street.  Some work on flexibility might help here, unless you're just not tall enough.  I know motor officers frequently mount from the right, but I don't know whether they step on the footpeg to do it.  It seems like that be asking to tip the bike over.

Question 2: If you mount the bike while on the center stand, do you rock it off the center stand while mounted or do you take it off the stand by rolling it forward with the  bars while one the left or right side. I've done both and believe I'm less likely to drop it while mounted and rocking it off the stand. Maybe its just a matter of more experience. 

I do both, depending on what's going to happen next: riding away, or moving the bike around by hand.  Pushing it off while standing alongside isn't that hard, but I think there are two keys: have your hand on the front brake lever so you can arrest the forward motion, and point the front wheel slightly away from you, so the bike will tend to lean toward you rather than away from you when it comes off the stand.  Practice makes perfect, and practicing with a spotter on the other side isn't a bad idea if you can arrange it.

Some folks have been known to ride the bike off the center stand, by rocking it backward to get the rear wheel to make contact with the ground at the same time they let out the clutch and add throttle.  Easier with a full top box.  I did it a few times with my 1150RT, but I think it's hard on the bike, hard on rear tire wear, and sometimes, especially in gas stations with painted concrete surfaces, the rear wheel doesn't get enough traction and the wheel just spins, which just makes you look dumb.

Question 3: How do passengers mount? There's all sorts of options here I think. I've been riding for decades and have ridden other bikes two-up and understand how to instruct passenger when pillion so their actions don't imperil us while at speed. 

Very carefully, while the rider holds the bike up with both feet on the ground.  What I've seen is the pillion put their left foot on the left passenger peg and hands on the rider's shoulders, step up, and either put their right leg over (if no top box is mounted) or through (with top box), and then sit down.  But I've personally only carried a pillion once, so others will have better info.

On my R1100... I mounted from either side, depending on where I was, etc.  From the Left, stand on ground, throw right leg up/over. From the Right, stand on right peg, throw (left) leg over. 

If there's stuff on the back, mounting from the right peg gives you a height advantage to get your off leg over. :)

No apparent issues noted on the bike. (It was CHP for 60K, and I know they mounted from the right on a regular basis).

I have never mounted from the right side...too weird, like trying to hit a golf ball from your unnatural side.  If I have a load on  and can't just swing my right leg over the saddle with the bike on the side stand, then I will hold the left hand grip with my left hand but stand a bit further away. I raise my knee toward my chest, and because I am not a Yoga master, I bend at my waist and left hip away from the bike and a bit toward the front. I raise my right leg as high as needed to get my right inside ankle at least on the riders mid saddle and then slide it over and down to the ground.

When my passage mounts I follow the process that  Bill W outlined. I would add I have the bike on its wheels with both feet well secure to the ground and turn my bars to the right all the way to the steering lock with the front brake applied. After I give the nod that I'm set my wife basically steps up on the left peg with her left leg and swings her right leg over the top box while holding onto my shoulders.  As she puts her full weight on the left passenger foot peg, I begin to turn the handle bars back to center line to counter her weight pulling the bike over to the left ( essentially counter steering at a dead stop). Once she is settled I let off the front brake and we are off.

12 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

Are you talking about standing on the footpeg to mount?  If so, I think you've got your left and right backwards.  If not, I guess I don't understand how you'd push it over while mounting, unless your foot is really dragging as you slide it across the street.  Some work on flexibility might help here, unless you're just not tall enough.  I don't have a problem sliding my foot across the seat. I was more curious to understand if there was a better technique. I know motor officers frequently mount from the right, but I don't know whether they step on the footpeg to do it.  It seems like that be asking to tip the bike over.

I do both, depending on what's going to happen next: riding away, or moving the bike around by hand.  Pushing it off while standing alongside isn't that hard, but I think there are two keys: have your hand on the front brake lever so you can arrest the forward motion, and point the front wheel slightly away from you, so the bike will tend to lean toward you rather than away from you when it comes off the stand. Great tip. Another thing I've done is put the bike in gear, clutch in, push off and then let the clutch out rather than depending on the brake.   Practice makes perfect, Agreed. and practicing with a spotter on the other side isn't a bad idea if you can arrange it.

Some folks have been known to ride the bike off the center stand, by rocking it backward to get the rear wheel to make contact with the ground at the same time they let out the clutch and add throttle.  Easier with a full top box.  I did it a few times with my 1150RT, but I think it's hard on the bike, hard on rear tire wear, and sometimes, especially in gas stations with painted concrete surfaces, the rear wheel doesn't get enough traction and the wheel just spins, which just makes you look dumb. 

Very carefully, while the rider holds the bike up with both feet on the ground.  What I've seen is the pillion put their left foot on the left passenger peg and hands on the rider's shoulders, step up, and either put their right leg over (if no top box is mounted) or through (with top box), and then sit down.  But I've personally only carried a pillion once, so others will have better info. There's a place about an hour from me in the Santa Cruz Mountains called Alice's restaurant.  Its a common motorcycle gathering place. ON the weekends there are easily 100+ bikes, cruisers, tourers, sport bikes, customs, vintage,... I'll spend some time up there "watching and observing". 

Thanks Bill. 

12 hours ago, Woodie said:

On my R1100... I mounted from either side, depending on where I was, etc.  From the Left, stand on ground, throw right leg up/over. From the Right, stand on right peg, throw (left) leg over. 

If there's stuff on the back, mounting from the right peg gives you a height advantage to get your off leg over. :)

No apparent issues noted on the bike. (It was CHP for 60K, and I know they mounted from the right on a regular basis).

Thanks Woodie.

9 hours ago, Paul De said:

I have never mounted from the right side...too weird, like trying to hit a golf ball from your unnatural side.  If I have a load on  and can't just swing my right leg over the saddle with the bike on the side stand, then I will hold the left hand grip with my left hand but stand a bit further away. I raise my knee toward my chest, and because I am not a Yoga master, I bend at my waist and left hip away from the bike and a bit toward the front. I raise my right leg as high as needed to get my right inside ankle at least on the riders mid saddle and then slide it over and down to the ground.

When my passage mounts I follow the process that  Bill W outlined. I would add I have the bike on its wheels with both feet well secure to the ground and turn my bars to the right all the way to the steering lock with the front brake applied. After I give the nod that I'm set my wife basically steps up on the left peg with her left leg and swings her right leg over the top box while holding onto my shoulders.  As she puts her full weight on the left passenger foot peg, I begin to turn the handle bars back to center line to counter her weight pulling the bike over to the left ( essentially counter steering at a dead stop). Once she is settled I let off the front brake and we are off.

I followed your choreography perfectly! The counter steering to balance the rider is a great tip and the sort of info I was hoping some experienced rider would pass on. Thanks. Miguel

Joe Frickin' Friday

OP is a good match for me.  I used to own a 1999 R1100RT with a Corbin saddle, and when I went on tours I installed the backrest:

2007-05-my-torrey-odyssey-170

I guess everybody's different, but I went with the following procedures for solo riding:

• Sidestand down: I almost always mounted from the left.  I never had a problem swinging my right leg over the backrest, although I suppose not everyone is so flexible.  The sidestand is plenty-strong: I know one fellow with mobility issues who puts his left foot on the left footpeg, as this gives him the altitude necessary to swing his right leg over the saddle.  Not sure what your concern is with pushing the bike over; there really shouldn't be any significant side load on the bike while you're climbing aboard.  

• Centerstand down: Again, almost always from the left.  Since the bike is higher, I put my left foot on the left footpeg so I can get my right leg over.  I roll it off the stand while already in the saddle.

For getting a passenger aboard:

• Sidestand down: Pilot first climbs aboard, swings the bike up off of the sidestand, sets the front brake.  Feet should adopt a wide stance, (this will help you keep the bike upright while the passenger is jiggling everything).  Use a head-nod or verbal OK to signal that it's OK for the passenger to come aboard.  Passenger puts left foot on left peg, left hand on pilot's shoulder, and pushes off of ground with right foot to establish upward momentum (if left foot is used for that first upward push, this tends to upset the bike).  

• Centerstand down: pretty much the same as above, except pilot need not worry about foot placement, and passenger need not worry so much about upsetting the bike.  

A word of caution about riding off the center stand:

I pulled off at an old abandoned gas station in the middle of nowhere New Mexico.  I put the bike on the centerstand while I got into the bags for some rain gear.  After  suiting up I climbed back on, put it in gear, rocked the bike back , and let out the clutch.  Rain had softened the gravel surface and the rear tire spun just enough to dig in with no forward progress.  If I were to try that again I might just dig the rear tire in deeper.  Pushing the fully loaded bike off the center stand just got harder.  It was a bit of a struggle but I did get it off. A little deeper and I might have needed help.

Start by taking the backrest off.

Then, after you can monkey all around, get on and off easily, practice as if the backrest was there.

Put a box or cutout, wharever, enough to give you feedback.

Develop what method works, with less resistance and more margin for error.

A backrest connotes riding posture that, for me, puts too much emphasis on sit up and beg position,

that is already the RT ergo.

But, MItch could pass me forward, backwards, left, right, up, down, any road with his backrest and RT so...

:beer:

What's your inseam?

Can you flatfoot the bike?

I think of a backrest in terms of all day, multiple day, long distance rides.

But we rode 2up so much, guess I had a backrest.

:dontknow:

• Like 1

Joe Friday. Thanks for the detailed description. Loved it. I live about an hour from Corbin and I installed the backrest to get it home. I found it so comfortable, I just left it on. I will take it off one of these days and see heat I think of riding without it. I really got the backrest for my wife show really appreciates the backrest on my other bike. But I may adopt it. Thanks for the input. Its really appreciated. 

Miguel

17 hours ago, tallman said:

Start by taking the backrest off.

Then, after you can monkey all around, get on and off easily, practice as if the backrest was there.

Put a box or cutout, wharever, enough to give you feedback.

Develop what method works, with less resistance and more margin for error.

A backrest connotes riding posture that, for me, puts too much emphasis on sit up and beg position,

that is already the RT ergo.

But, MItch could pass me forward, backwards, left, right, up, down, any road with his backrest and RT so...

:beer:

What's your inseam?

Can you flatfoot the bike?

I think of a backrest in terms of all day, multiple day, long distance rides.

But we rode 2up so much, guess I had a backrest.

:dontknow:

Tallman, Thanks for your input. I can mount and dismount fine even with the backrest but have to shimmy my foot over the seat between the gas tank and  back rest. I"m just looking to see if there are other techniques. With the backrest and side cases off, I can swing my leg over the bike without problem.

I cannot flat foot the bike. I have adjusted the seat height to its lowest position but then my legs are too cramped. The best seat height for me is the middle position. But I have ordered several pair of boots with thicker soles and higher heals to see if I can flatfoot the bike. My current boots have relatively thin soles and almost no heel. They are fine for my other bike tho. Also, the sole is relatively slick and I want more boot tread for better grip on dirt/sand surfaces. I have ordered several boots online to try them out. I have not found boots I like at the local shops or they didn't have my size. All this is a big adventure and I'm still learning a lot and adapting to the bike. 

Thanks. 

Miguel

Beemer Dood

I'd bet that just about every manual for every recent model year of BMW contains something to this effect, "Do not sit on the motorcycle when it is parked on the side stands." or "The side stand is designed to support only the weight of the motorcycle. Do not lean or sit on the motorcycle with the side stand extended." 

To me, it's clear that BMW does not want you to stand on the footpeg, with the side stand down, while mounting the bike.  There are many reports of folks having bent their side stand levers.  Some have reported broken bolts and other parts, resulting in a spill when rider weight is applied to the footpeg.  A police motor friend of mine fell this way, while on duty, resulting in some scratched protection bars and a badly wounded ego.  

I don't have a backrest, but on longer trips I have carried a duffle bag on the rear seat, making it impossible to swing my leg over the bag, similar to your issue.  I learned to kick my right foot up, onto the seat, and then to hop forward, until my butt hit the seat.  I held onto the left grip for balance and stability while doing this.  Getting off the bike had me putting my left foot on the ground, turning to the right (facing the bike) and hopping backwards until my right foot hit the seat, then grabbing my pant leg with my hand and using it to help lift my right leg up and then away from the bike.  

1 hour ago, Beemer Dood said:

I don't have a backrest, but on longer trips I have carried a duffle bag on the rear seat, making it impossible to swing my leg over the bag, similar to your issue.  I learned to kick my right foot up, onto the seat, and then to hop forward, until my butt hit the seat.  I held onto the left grip for balance and stability while doing this.  Getting off the bike had me putting my left foot on the ground, turning to the right (facing the bike) and hopping backwards until my right foot hit the seat, then grabbing my pant leg with my hand and using it to help lift my right leg up and then away from the bike.  

Yup, that's basically what I do. There's s little hopping involved too. 

Miguel

OK then, not many other options except the flying mount.

:old:

The thicker soles may help, flatfoot.

The levers can be adjusted if needed for thicker boots.

Sounds like you just need to practice the R leg extension thru

the space between tank and backrest.

Beemer Dood
4 hours ago, tallman said:

OK then, not many other options except the flying mount.

Stepstool?  Ladder"  Frame mounted crane?  Skyhook?  Hot air balloon? 

The posibilities are endless.  

I'm short and have absolutely zero flexibility, so I use a modified version of the second method as shown in this video to mount the bike.  I don't know if you can use this to clear the backrest or not...  

Beemer Dood

Stop the video at about 0:24.  Where his knee is at that point, is behind the backrest and behind the front edge of where my duffle bags sit.  This method would not work unless he could raise his knee above the top edge of the backrest (or over my duffle bag).  

ETA:  It's great for a top box or a duffle bag attached to the rear rack though.  

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Sidestand down, mount from the right side.  That is how CHP taught it (I forget why) and I rarely use the BMW with sidestand so, if it is down, right side.

Centerstand, mount from left.  Rock off the stand.

Pillion gets on only when I'm on and either side or centerstand is up.

• Like 1
Beemer Dood
7 hours ago, Danny caddyshack Noonan said:

Sidestand down, mount from the right side.  That is how CHP taught it (I forget why) ...

CHP teaches this, as do most LE motor schools, so that while mounting, and immediately after dismounting, you are facing oncoming traffic.  More of their officers are injured by other motorists, than by those they have stopped.  

Danny caddyshack Noonan
5 hours ago, Beemer Dood said:

CHP teaches this, as do most LE motor schools, so that while mounting, and immediately after dismounting, you are facing oncoming traffic.  More of their officers are injured by other motorists, than by those they have stopped.  

That makes sense, memory gap from their 2 week school 29 years ago this week.  I was probably too busy learning how to make my boots shinier than everyone elses.

• 9 months later...
James Barrett

Our method:

The motorcycle is on the side stand with the handlebars turned fully left.  This is the most stable position for the motorcycle, aside from laying flat down on its side.  The motorcycle is in 1st gear.

The wife mounts first.  She prefers mounting from the left side.  She mounts onto the rider's seat and then pushes herself back onto the p-pad.  I mount from the right side, sliding my leg over the seat.  I then straighten the handlebars and bring the motorcycle up to vertical.  Kickstand comes up. Then I start the motor.

I believe BMW voids the kickstand warranty on police motorcycles.  It is considered a normal wear and tear part that has to be periodically replaced, much like tires or brake pads.