IGNORED

R1100 front brake light switch replacement for the electrically inclined...

Pbrokaw

Guys and Gals

Considering that I am a electronic tech who owns R1100’s and I am a cheapskate who hates paying 53 bucks for a darn switch. Has anyone sourced the actual microswitch used for the front brake lights on the bikes? BMW does not make the switch as they’re are buying it and having someone solder a harness to it. The harness doesn’t go bad, the switch does...

Perry

1 hour ago, Pbrokaw said:

Guys and Gals

Considering that I am a electronic tech who owns R1100’s and I am a cheapskate who hates paying 53 bucks for a darn switch. Has anyone sourced the actual microswitch used for the front brake lights on the bikes? BMW does not make the switch as they’re are buying it and having someone solder a harness to it. The harness doesn’t go bad, the switch does...

Perry

Afternoon Perry

It is just a standard type  N/O reed  switch like used on furnace doors, position controls, & sump pumps.

I don't have a part number as I probably haven't used the same part number 2 times in a row.

Just remove your switch & take it with you to a good hardware store, plumbing store, or electrical supply store (even Lowes probably has one that will work),  then match one up as close as possible.

More then likely the replacement switch that you find won't have a pig tail wire harness so you will have to solder your original on (or use terminals) plus,  usually the reed is too  long so that will have to be cut to proper length.

A lot of those generic reed switches come with both N/O & N/C output terminals so once you identify the N/O terminal cut the N/C closed one off.

Is your existing switch actually bad???  Most are not, as a rule the reed just gets a bow in it from long term use so re-bending that so the switch operates as normal usually is all that is needed.

Dirtrider 

the master cylinder leaked eased into the switch causing it to stick internally.  So much for the magura new ones. Time to try the rebuilding kits. 

Perry