IGNORED

Alarm batteries/Average life?

MBrockman5

Hello all. I just purchased my first bmw bike (07 R1200RT) last week. It came with the factory DWA system, but the unit's internal batteries are dead. 

I was wondering:

1) Are any CR123a batteries fine to use, or is there a specific recommended brand? I was going to use some SureFire batteries I have Laing around. 

2) What is the average lifespan of batteries with this alarm system? 

11 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

Hello all. I just purchased my first bmw bike (07 R1200RT) last week. It came with the factory DWA system, but the unit's internal batteries are dead. 

I was wondering:

1) Are any CR123a batteries fine to use, or is there a specific recommended brand? I was going to use some SureFire batteries I have Laing around. 

2) What is the average lifespan of batteries with this alarm system? 

Morning MBrockman5

1) Are any CR123a batteries fine to use, or is there a specific recommended brand? I was going to use some SureFire batteries I have Laing around. -- How long have those batteries been laying around? What is the battery life date? I use SureFire  batteries in a number of things & they seem to be a decent battery so as long as they are still good with a decent life date left they should work OK. (personally I would buy new & install them if you can gain some life years)

2) What is the average lifespan of batteries with this alarm system? -- Difficult to tell as some go for a number of years & others fail within a couple of years.

I replaced the batteries on my 2012 RT last summer, having first gotten warning in May.  So ... 6 years?

BTW, this procedure is nicely detailed in the BMW Service DVD.

Ok. Awesome. Thank you for the info. I ended up buying new Energizer lithium batteries just to be safe. Although they fit nice and snug, I did notice that the CR123A batteries are a smidge bigger diameter than the CR17735 batteries that were in it.

• 1 month later...

I've only replaced the batteries on my 06 once... Which reminds me.. I'm probably due again. I dn't remember.. are there two batteries? or one? (I'm assuming two)