IGNORED

My DR had a serious talk about the gravity of my current weight.

So my DR told me that gravity was having too large of a pull on my body and I needed to do something about it. I guess "round" isn't a shape that she thought I should be.

Met with a different DR and dietitian a couple of weeks ago and they talked about portion sizes. Who know that a bowl of ice cream is not one serving. A bag of microwave popcorn is also not one serving. Culver's large chocolate malt, yup, not one serving. Even Culver's 3 piece walleye diner is also not one serving.

So I'm on a "nutrient rich", "high protein" regimen.  In addition it seems that 64 ozs of water a day is considered normal. Butter, cream, candy have no serving size, in other words I'm not supposed to eat them.

I do get to sub one meal a day with a chocolate Hi Protein Shake. Yum, Yum.

3 servings of veggies and 3 servings of fruit. Fat free dressings on salads. Seems that there is very little carbs that will show up on my plate

By the time July comes round, I will be in great shape for the CDT ride.

Anyone else here fighting gravity?

The Fabricator

Cold turkey is the way to go.  I have not had your weight issues.  Just know, when the bad event happens, it is too late to repent.   You will pine for the old days and look ahead, think of what you could be doing and are missing, be depressed, feel miserable all your waking hours.  A dark cloud will enter your thoughts too often.  

Do what you can while you can because it is all you can do.  You will need to struggle every minute every day and that is why you will need to count your blessings and realize struggling means you haven't given up.  

Set up goals and feel satisfaction when you make them.

Eat really slooooooooowly.

Work out.

Think about how much other people are concerned about you, what a burden you are [will be] to them because you didn't take care of yourself.

And that is because you let it happen.  It is only your fault.

What kind of reply did you expect?

I am in a constant battle as well.  I have little moderation in my eating/drinking.  So June -Dec I bulk up then Jan -May is take it off.  Very unhealthy I'm sure.  The culprits are known.  Portion size, starchy vegetables, grain products, dried fruit, added sugar products, alcohol.  Give them up & weight comes off.  Add them back, weight goes on.  But again, I realize it is not those items in and of themselves, it's how much of them I consume.

I've always eaten too much, when younger it was a way of impressing friends. (you can't eat all that :jaw:) ( oh yeah, watch me :eat: ) :dontknow: Anyway as you know, your body can compensate when you're young but for most, from 30 on you are going to get large.

I've become mindful of the over eating (not completely cured) but I've taken up exercise on a regular basis and it has helped tremendously, mind & body. I'll never be who I want to be in my mind's eye but feeling better mentally & physically has been the payoff.

A local girl has been running a boot camp program for about eight years and she just opened up her own place. She has the regular classes but she also added in a low impact program for beginners or somebody recovering from an injury.

I'm sure you have something similar in your neighborhood, I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Gym-Physical-Fitness-Center/Boyles-Fitness-Factory-940663202775077/

Interesting segment on National Pubic Radio today.  An interview with a chap who has studied the efficacy of using strictly the energy in and energy out skool of weight management.  This confirms (so it must be right!) what I have researched.  Excercise is good but mostly other reasons other than weight loss.  Be mindful of caloric content, but know that the efficiency of certain calories are different than others, ie rate of burn matters.   The article is titled The Death of the Calorie.  It was in the Economist magazine.  I have copy pasted the article from which the interview was based.  

https://www.1843magazine.com/features/death-of-the-calorie

Bud I fought that battle for years.  Last October I finally got serious.  I went to a nutritionist and she laid out a plan for me.  Very similar to what you described.  When I reached my goal weight she started adding foods back in to my diet to see how my body reacted.  I dropped 65 lbs which was about 28% of my body weight.   I am now maintaining that and I know how to eat better to keep it off.  I haven't felt this good in years.    A suggestion, balsamic vinegar for your salad, if you look around there are lots of flavors and they are essentially no calories.  I really like the chili, ginger and mango from Fat Louie's.   Look  here Door Peninsula Winery/ Fat Louies

• Like 1
5 hours ago, RAMBLIN RED said:

Wait..Wait......alcohol?     NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I did not have to cut it out completely, 4oz of wine or 2oz of whiskey was equal to 1 serving of fruit.  I was able to enjoy an occasional beverage.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, The Fabricator said:

Cold turkey is the way to go.  I have not had your weight issues.  What kind of reply did you expect?

Sorry, stopped reading after that.

• Like 1

Diet and exercise.  Best type of exercise, for weight loss, is walking and bicycle riding.  Lots of it.  Plan as much exercise as your doctor, and your feet/knees will allow.  Go somewhere pleasant.  Bring a friend.  On your commute, instead of parking right outside, park a few blocks away.  Over time increase the distance.  When you go to the store, park at the far end of the lot.  You get the idea.  Add a little here and there.  Use a pedometer (probably one in your phone).

Discuss your exercise program with your doctor!

It may be a few months before you start to enjoy the extra exercise, but keep at it.  The more you do, the easier it gets, and one day you'll actually get up and look forward to it.  :-)

• Like 1

I used to eat only when hungry and was always a fairly thin doood. Work routines and a growing income had me go on the see food diet. Now that I am flirting with 2 bills and my wife is also not liking the shape we are both in now spurred us to do something and we are revamping our diet, eating realistic portions, and upping our activity level.  No one ever told us there was some negatives to achieving our version of the American Dream.

The upside, is if I loose 20 pounds it will be like I spent an few thousand dollars on performance mods to my RT!!!

• Like 1

Bud, I just remembered a tip for you if you are a pasta fanatic like I am.  I was in near tears when I decided to cut out my semolina pasta, but found life can be not so bad with out flour based pasta.

Check out Japanese Shirataki noodles,  They are essentially guiltless, you just have to manage the what you put on them. Near zero carbs and calories, and they don't have the concentrated arsenic issue of rice noodles.  They are made of some type of plant in the yam family but are not sweet.  Essentially no flavor, so you have to bring that in the veggies and seasoning.  A niece of mine has full blown celiac disease and found these as a gluten free substitute to wheat flour based noodles.

With the over hype on gluten free foods, most major grocery stores now stock them, but are a dieters friend too. You'll find them in the refrigerator case packed in water. I simply rinse them and incorporated into a healthful load of veggies and lean protein.  Look up their prep and recipes on the Google machine.

image.png.5ae5ee0ca2392bf17696a1b7d080ed2c.png

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ltljohn said:

Bud I fought that battle for years.  Last October I finally got serious.  I went to a nutritionist and she laid out a plan for me.  Very similar to what you described.  When I reached my goal weight she started adding foods back in to my diet to see how my body reacted.  I dropped 65 lbs which was about 28% of my body weight.   I am now maintaining that and I know how to eat better to keep it off.  I haven't felt this good in years.    A suggestion, balsamic vinegar for your salad, if you look around there are lots of flavors and they are essentially no calories.  I really like the chili, ginger and mango from Fat Louie's.   Look  here Door Peninsula Winery/ Fat Louies

You have to get mad. After hitting a buck90 on the scale at the y I let loose with an expletive. 

After retiring i had had continued with my “working eating routine”. I had to cut out the cheezits and Reese’s cups from Costco which supplemented my lunch at work on those 10-12hr days. I also dropped the daily pbj. 

12 days /mo dinner is now a big salad of spinach, onions, mushrooms, yellow/orange bell peppers, Persian cukes, cilantro, cherry tomatoes and maybe some tuna or chicken tossed on top. Oh and some crumbled bleu cheese. I top it with traderjoes yuzu pepper sauce and balsamic vinegar (Costco 1 ltr) and olive oil. Yum. The other days oranges in winter and watermelon in summer.  

• Like 1

Besides diet and exercise,  seven to eight hours of sleep each night apparently helps to shed weight. 

I lost eighteen pounds last year by eating a high protein diet.  Unfortunately my kids and grandkids know I have an addiction to chocolate and gave me lots at Christmas; regained six of those pounds. 

One simple thing that has worked for me for the last few years has been using a smaller plate for my meals.  I guess we tend to fill our plates and a larger one leads to overeating. 

I also like to eat an apple or pear half an hour before a meal; seems to reduce the need for more food at mealtime. Midday snacks are nuts or dried dates. I have always eaten constantly throughout the day,  but for the most part,  food high in protein. 

Hope you only need to lose a few pounds to get back into your doctor's good books,  Bud. 

39 minutes ago, RK Ryder said:

Unfortunately my kids and grandkids know I have an addiction to chocolate and gave me lots at Christmas; regained six of those pounds. 

My wife and I are not 100% on this but we have reduced eating unhealthy foods by not going down those isles at the grocery store.  When weakness strikes that bad stuff is not in the house.  Spontaneous bad food binging has been greatly reduced at our house. The real test is when the NFL season kicks off this fall.

We too love Chocolate and always have some in the house because it is actually pretty good stuff to have in your diet.  It is all the super dark 80+ percent Cocoa and the amount we eat is reasonable.  Being on the bitter side helps stop overdoing it too.

39 minutes ago, RK Ryder said:

One simple thing that has worked for me for the last few years has been using a smaller plate for my meals.

When I was working I was always amazed how my French colleagues were trim even though they eat super rich food and deserts all the time.  It is not magic, or lucky DNA.  They eat fresh high quality food, not processed crap, and keep portion sizes realistic for the richness of the food. They take their time to enjoy the meal which helps your brain register you ate before going for seconds and eating too much.  Also, the folks at the office in Paris walk a lot instead of driving.

Haha so maybe I  should eat my meals off a coffee cup saucer with an appetizer fork and I'll loose a ton!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Follow up visit with weight loss program. Went in today and weighed, got vitals checked, had conversation with DR

Lost 13 lbs since I started.

Still have a long way to go.

• Like 1