IGNORED

Heated grip wiring

SmokinRZ

Hey guys, I replaced my handlebars and had to disconnect the heated grip wiring at the  connector under the tank.  I had to take wires out of the connector to get them threaded through the bars.  I took photos of the connector with the wires in it but now that I am putting it back together it looks like the wires were reversed in the connector by the previous owner or mechanic.  I put it back together based on my photos and now that everything is going back together I double checked by looking under the connector from the wiring harness and the brown wires are mating to the black wires.  My Clymer manual has brown as ground and black as hot so I changed them to mate with the same color but now I'm going back and checking photos again and scratching my head as it sure looks like they were mating to the wrong color in the connector.  The connector only goes in one way so the photo was not upside down and the grips were working fine.  Would they have worked wired backwards?  Does anyone have their tank and could take a look?    Thanks!             

14 minutes ago, SmokinRZ said:

Hey guys, I replaced my handlebars and had to disconnect the heated grip wiring at the  connector under the tank.  I had to take wires out of the connector to get them threaded through the bars.  I took photos of the connector with the wires in it but now that I am putting it back together it looks like the wires were reversed in the connector by the previous owner or mechanic.  I put it back together based on my photos and now that everything is going back together I double checked by looking under the connector from the wiring harness and the brown wires are mating to the black wires.  My Clymer manual has brown as ground and black as hot so I changed them to mate with the same color but now I'm going back and checking photos again and scratching my head as it sure looks like they were mating to the wrong color in the connector.  The connector only goes in one way so the photo was not upside down and the grips were working fine.  Would they have worked wired backwards?  Does anyone have their tank and could take a look?    Thanks!             

Afternoon SmokinRZ

The heated grips are just a simple resistance element with return grounding so they will work either polarity.

My BMW wire schematic book shows (brown to brown & (black to black) as the proper way to connect them.

It shouldn't matter to operation but wired up correctly makes future troubleshooting sooooo much easier.

Thank you DR!  Electricity is a big mystery to me so I always fear a melt down.  Brown to brown and black to black, simple enough.  Thanks! 

Smoking... YOU happen to take any picture while you were in there? I have a switch and heated grips to install (they weren't factory installed) but haven't opened up the fairing to see if I can find the connector or if I need to run a new wire. Others have guessed they only made one wiring harness and the connector is in there. I was just hoping to a see a picture of it and its location. Other's have told me where to look but a picture is worth a thousand words. 

THanks

Miguel