IGNORED

touch up paint

Davey S.

Does anyone knows if BMW offers touch up paint and if not where I can obtain the paint code?

Thanks in advance,

Davey 

What year, model, color?

Some may be available from BMW, but there are other sources in the aftermarket.  

I bought some for my car, for practice.  I will eventually buy some for my bikes.  I haven't used it yet, but the video makes it look easy to do.

https://colorndrive.com/en

9 hours ago, Davey S. said:

Does anyone knows if BMW offers touch up paint and if not where I can obtain the paint code?

Thanks in advance,

Davey 

Morning Davy

At one time BMW did, then they quit (I believe due  to import restrictions) so I'm not sure if they  do now or not.

Most use Colorrite as it usually matches up pretty good.

https://www.colorrite.com/

• Like 1

Check for a label with a paint code underneath the seat or on the rear fender. 

Go go to the parts catalog, fiche. Section 51, Vehicle Trim. Even though BMW doesn’t sell the paint anymore, they list the colors. You should find the color name, and then the parts list will have the color code. There is a color code and a paint code. The paint code will be for the specific paint, listed on the line for the paint. The color code is listed in the diagram title and indicates the color combinations and decal colors. For example. A K12RS, color code 788, Frostbl-Marrakech  with paint codes frostblue2, 464, and marrakeschrot2, 392.

13 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Davy

At one time BMW did, then they quit (I believe due  to import restrictions) so I'm not sure if they  do now or not.

Most use Colorrite as it usually matches up pretty good.

https://www.colorrite.com/

Did go to their site but for my year and model they don’t even list my particular color. 

14 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

What year, model, color?

Some may be available from BMW, but there are other sources in the aftermarket.  

I bought some for my car, for practice.  I will eventually buy some for my bikes.  I haven't used it yet, but the video makes it look easy to do.

https://colorndrive.com/en

I have a ‘18 rt in mars red. 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Davey S. said:

Did go to their site but for my year and model they don’t even list my particular color. 

Morning Davey

You might try giving them a call ( Support: 1-800-358-1882), or E-Mail  ( support@colorrite.com)   as my guess is that you are not the first looking for that color.

That 'Mars Red' is probably a 3 layer type paint with a base color, top color, then a clear coat over it  (those are not easily touched up with a single color).   

6 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Davey

You might try giving them a call ( Support: 1-800-358-1882), or E-Mail  ( support@colorrite.com)   as my guess is that you are not the first looking for that color.

That 'Mars Red' is probably a 3 layer type paint with a base color, top color, then a clear coat over it  (those are not easily touched up with a single color).   

Thank you for the phone number. I called but they do not have my color. 

37 minutes ago, Davey S. said:

Thank you for the phone number. I called but they do not have my color. 

Afternoon Davey

Have you tried your BMW dealer? They might not have it but I'd be willing to bet that you aren't the first to ask so maybe they have a suggestion.

The 3 layer paints are VERY difficult to touch up with a single color single layer touch up paint.

2 minutes ago, bdfbeemer said:

I wonder which color compares to the ebony metallic? 

ColorRite does have that color listed on their site Ana a phone call confirms that they do indeed carry it. 

Thank you everyone for your help and input. I ordered from Color N Drive they were very easy to work with and good price as well.

Davey

• 2 weeks later...
Motorhead1977

I ordered and received Mars Red M4R. The paint that arrived was not a match as what I received was not a metallic paint. Color n Drive insisted that I just needed to use the paint as color matching is not an exact science. Finally after many emails they refunded the price. My opinion, be very careful about ordering from them.

Motorhead1977

Absolutely a blending process but even blending won't work if the factory paint is metallic and the touch up paint is non metallic as they have such a different appearance when applied. I'm going to ask the shop that color matched my top box to the bike if they'll mix some of that paint up for me. It was a perfect match.