IGNORED

Just bought a 2007 R1200ST was that a mistake?

anotherdjohnson

anotherdjohnson

Over this past weekend, I bought a 2007 R1200ST in really great condition, runs beautifully, has all recall work done, and the owner's manual shows the maintenance history, all done a BMW dealers.  However, part of the reason I bought the bike was that I thought I could get a mount for my Givi top case, but they aren't available despite being listed on a few websites.  I can't find much else available, was I too quick to buy the bike?  Can I get parts if something goes wrong, or have I purchased a bike that has a limited life left?

1 hour ago, anotherdjohnson said:

Over this past weekend, I bought a 2007 R1200ST in really great condition, runs beautifully, has all recall work done, and the owner's manual shows the maintenance history, all done a BMW dealers.  However, part of the reason I bought the bike was that I thought I could get a mount for my Givi top case, but they aren't available despite being listed on a few websites.  I can't find much else available, was I too quick to buy the bike?  Can I get parts if something goes wrong, or have I purchased a bike that has a limited life left?

Afternoon anotherdjohnson

No problem getting parts but if from a BMW dealer then they won't be cheap.

Your ST uses most of the same drivetrain parts as the other 07-09 1200 bikes so no problems there.

Check E-Bay for used case mounts or other aftermarket accessories.

duckbubbles

I had a 2005 ST for 8 years and amost 60,000 miles.  I might still have it if I hadn't skewered a deer with it.  Trouble free during that time for me.

Frank

I have a 2007 ST that I bought new.  I ride it around 6,000 miles a year and, except for the known problems (one final drive leak and one fuel pump controller failure), have had no problems.  My dealer told me that only 28 2007 STs were sold here in the US, so I intend to hang on to it as a future classic.

I put an SW-Motech rear rack on mine which allows for mounting one of several top cases, but as stated earlier, the only side case option is BMW.

anotherdjohnson

Thanks for the responses, I feel a bit better now.  Granted I’ve only had the bike a few days I love it overall. Twisted Throttle believes they can get a top case rack that will work for me, so I’m pretty excited about that.  I’m also looking to move the grips up and back a just a little bit to make it a little more comfortable, does anyone know if R1200S risers will work?  I’m looking at HeliBars TracStars, they look like they should fit, can anyone confirm that they will?

Thanks again!

9 hours ago, anotherdjohnson said:

Thanks for the responses, I feel a bit better now.  Granted I’ve only had the bike a few days I love it overall. Twisted Throttle believes they can get a top case rack that will work for me, so I’m pretty excited about that.  I’m also looking to move the grips up and back a just a little bit to make it a little more comfortable, does anyone know if R1200S risers will work?  I’m looking at HeliBars TracStars, they look like they should fit, can anyone confirm that they will?

Thanks again!

Morning anotherdjohnson

Test Pilot gave you good info above on changing (if you need to).

My suggestion is to not make any handlebar changes UNTIL you have ridden that bike for a 1000 miles or so.

It is a new & strange feeling motorcycle to you so it will feel strange & different, it seems that a LOT of riders that move to the BMW bikes (especially the S)   want to change the bar/grip position after a ride or two, but once they get used to the BMW position  & change their riding position to flow with the bike's design  they end up keeping the OEM bar arrangement as it really  isn't that bad.

The bar position is different but for most  not bad at all once you get used to it.

duckbubbles

The stock bars can be adjusted into three positions-  low, lower and even lower by sliding on the fork tubes.  I've never seen one set in anything but the highest position.  Check to make sure the handlebar mount is in the highest position, up against the bottom of the triple clamp.

I mounted a Schnitzer handlebar adapter system on mine and had problems.  The new top triple tree put a bind into the ball joints that made the steering very tight.  Tried to get  a response from them and never did.  The MV is the way to go.  The Schnitzer top clamp and handlebar is now a piece of wall art in my shop.

Frank

anotherdjohnson

Thanks for the information TestPilot and duckbubbles, very helpful, I’ll look at those.  I think I’ll go with dirtrider’s advice, and ride the bike a bit more before I decide for sure.  I was looking for information on. Adjusting the bars, so I could make sure it was at the highest position, but couldn’t find any information.  I’ll see if I can determine that from the information you provided.

David 

anotherdjohnson

Thanks Brian, The bike actually came with that grid and the Motorrad tail bag, but it’s lightweight and not intended to carry much.  Twisted Throttle says they can get the SW-Motech plate and adapter, so I’m waiting to hear back that they were successful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 11:59 AM, TestPilot said:

My dealer told me that only 28 2007 STs were sold here in the US, so I intend to hang on to it as a future classic.

Something about the styling I think!

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:01 AM, TestPilot said:

No, the R1200S risers won't work.  I've sen 2 choices on line.  Take a look at the following web pages:

1.  https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/MV+Handlebar+Adapter+Kit+BMW+R1200ST.htm

2.  https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1200-ST/Alu-High-grade-Steel/Superbike-handlebars.html

You have been given some great advise by the others on this topic.  I have the BMW rear rack and have been able to mount my Givi rear cases (small for in town & larger for out of town trips) with their universal mount system.  Now to the bars I didn't realize they where the real problem with my stock seat as it was below my comfort standards.  The real problem was the reach to the stock bars just didn't fit me and caused me to favor the front of the seat.  I tried the MV adapter kit and with the fairly steep angle of the suspension tubes doesn't really bring the bars much closer to you if your arms aren't long enough.  I bit the bullet and mounted the handlebar kit above and have made my bike about 95% perfect with the added leverage a plus in addition.  I also fine tuned with some risers for the Superbike bars once the handlebar kit was installed.  The down side to the handlebar conversion is it is not a simple installation.  I bought mine here https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/abm-bmw-r-1200-st-05-07-handlebar-riser-kit/

PS. The R1200ST is a great all round bike!

DSC08173Sm2.jpg

DSC08172Sm.jpg

DSC08174Sm.jpg

DSC01158Sm.JPG

DSC01190Sm.JPG

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
anotherdjohnson

I was able to get the SW-Motech rack and adapter, and have installed them on the bike.  while the top case sticks out the back pretty far, I think it looks really good.  And, as I've ridden the bike more and more, I've found that @dirtrider is right, I'm becoming used to the riding position, and am really enjoying the bike. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 1.41.29 PM.png

12 minutes ago, anotherdjohnson said:

I was able to get the SW-Motech rack and adapter, and have installed them on the bike.  while the top case sticks out the back pretty far, I think it looks really good.  And, as I've ridden the bike more and more, I've found that @dirtrider is right, I'm becoming used to the riding position, and am really enjoying the bike. 

Afternoon  anotherdjohnson   

Looks good, just one concern from looking at the the picture. That box sits back pretty far so make sure that your brake light can be seen by a high sitting driver right behind you (like a high sitting semi truck).  

If the guy sitting high up and close  behind you can't see your brake light then you might become his new hood ornament.

If that is a problem then maybe add an additional  brake light to  the top box or add a lower sitting additional brake light.   

anotherdjohnson

That's a great point @dirtrider, that hadn't occurred to me.  I think Admore Lighting makes a kit for that top case, I'll have to look at adding that.

• 1 month later...