IGNORED

Hill hold

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

I actually used the hill hold feature on Saturday.  We got stopped for construction work on an upgrade, and it was very nice to be able to just set the brake with the bike in neutral and not have to hang on to anything.  At least until I realized the delay was going to keep going on for a while, at which point I put the bike in gear and turned it off.

I think this is maybe the second or third time I've used it in two years of riding.  And one of those was just to try it out.  I suppose those who ride two-up might use it more often.

• Like 1

I use it often. And live where it is flat. For instance, did you know the rear brake light stays on when you engage Hill Control? Allows you to have your feet down, and hands off the bars to make.....adjustments to things while stopped!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am still getting used to it.   It took me a minute to figure out an easy way to un-do it before taking off; I tap the foot brake.    On my C, I just hold my foot on the brake and my brain figures out when to let go so I do not have to give it too much gas to overcome the hold.  (HA)  Still a weird feeling for me, though.

I was skeptical of the value of the Hill Start Control feature (oxymoron of a name)...hill hold make more sense.  Over time I have used to the feature more often and now appreciate where there is enough of a slope at a stoplight that holding the bike in place requires both feet on the ground with your knees locked.  Agree that two up makes the feature all the more valuable.

I've used it maybe once or twice just to set the brake for long idles on a hill, so for that rare purpose it's a useful gadget. Starting up a hill is really never a problem for me on an RT.

14 hours ago, realshelby said:

I use it often. And live where it is flat. For instance, did you know the rear brake light stays on when you engage Hill Control? Allows you to have your feet down, and hands off the bars to make.....adjustments to things while stopped!

I too use it really regularly. I think it is an invaluable feature.

12 hours ago, Exportman said:

It also reduces a lot of the clunk when engaging first from neutral 

How? It is not linked to the function of the clutch / gearbox in any way.

• Like 1

On the RT and now the GS I never use it.  In my car I love it.

The difference is in my car you let off the clutch as usual and give it gas as usual and away you go.  On the bike you need to either break it first by hitting the brake, or use more throttle to get underway.  I absolutely hate it. 

I stop left foot down, right foot on brake, 1st gear clutch in, right hand covering the front brake and eyes in my mirrors.  I just dont want to try and use something I really dont need.

All that said I hear on the 1250 it is just like in the car.  No extra throttle just let the clutch out give it normal amount of gas and ride off.  That sounds like something I would use.

In all honesty if you held a gun to my head and asked me how to set the Hill Assist I would die, I have now clue.  I think it is just squeezing the front brake lever and looking for a Nag Light but again, bang, I am dead :grin:

• Like 1

LAF, you are missing out. You don't have to look for anything to deselect it. Just ease the brake back on and then ride away as usual. For a man of your expertise and caliber (as we have quite clearly seen from all of your valve timing escapades), then using hill start is a doddle.

As I say we use it all the time.

I am afraid that I am with Lee!  Hill hold is one feature that I had used only at the beginning, just to try it out.  What Lee said above is exactly as if I had written those words!!!  :)

Ah well, at least it's there for me. Maybe it has something to do with me riding '2-up' most of the time. Maybe the terrain I spend a lot of time in. I don't know, but I do use it. 

The thing I don't use much (but I like it occasionally when I do), is the quick shifter.

16 minutes ago, PadG said:

I am afraid that I am with Lee!  Hill hold is one feature that I had used only at the beginning, just to try it out.  What Lee said above is exactly as if I had written those words!!!  :)

Morning___

I have to agree with both PadG & Lee

I don't really care for it either as it is usually more of a pain than an asset (once in a very great while I  could possibly use it (2 up with camping gear in hilly terrain ) but for the most part not.

I guess BMW could make it more of an asset to us (don't-want-it-all-of-the-time) riders  by just adding a simple push button to quickly select it if needed but then click it back off for most riding.

I do agree that the takeoff with hill control engaged isn't to my liking. I usually just pull the brake lever again to release hill control as I am taking off. Smoother that way. But if the 2019 is better, that would be a good thing! I would probably use it even more. 

I use it all the time.  I would like it even more if you could use it key off.  I agree with DR it would be nice if menu selectable just like traction control.  The feature I rarely use is the quick shifter.  The only time I use it is trying to get on freeways when the need to stare over my shoulder in Houston traffic is important.  On an average ride I don't use the quick shift, I use the hill control on every ride multiple times.

12 hours ago, LAF said:

.................................................All that said I hear on the 1250 it is just like in the car.  No extra throttle just let the clutch out give it normal amount of gas and ride off.  That sounds like something I would use.....

On an upgrade, there may be a little extra throttle to overcome the brake.  The steeper the grade, the more effort will be needed.  On the other hand (foot too,) the downhill brake hold is just clutch release and very little throttle.  Sometimes the clutch realease will start it rolling before you end up giving any throttle.  YMMV

Motorhead1977

Used it a few times just to try it out. Don't care for how it operates so I haven't used it much at all. Never use the quick shifter either. Learned to shift big trucks and also regular cars sans clutch many years ago. Same technique works on bikes if you feel it's necessary.

I think use of hill hold really depends on where you live and ride.  Living in Seattle, I used it frequently as there are a lot of lights (especially by the Sound) where you might be sitting for a bit before you get through.  Living in central Oregon now, I've had very little need for it.

I only use the hill hold if I'm at a stop light that I know is endless and the line of traffic is settled down (meaning that there is a line of already stopped cars behind and beside me).  I don't slip the clutch much when taking off normally, so I end up stalling if I try to use take off without disengaging the hill hold first.  

When taking off on a steep hill, I use the rear brake to hold the bike and release it as the clutch starts to engage.  If that's not possible because of the camber of the road, I use the front brake and old fashioned coordination to get it done.

On 4/2/2019 at 9:05 AM, AndyS said:

How? It is not linked to the function of the clutch / gearbox in any way.

It locks the back wheel  so stops the lurch forward.    I always release  the hill start before moving off by squeezing the brake again

I believe that the Hill Hold is controlled by the ABS module.  Once engaged, it applies enough brake to keep the bike from rolling. When in gear and you start to add some throttle, the ABS slowly releases the brakes at about the same rate as you would do with the hand brake. 

On 4/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, Exportman said:

It locks the back wheel  so stops the lurch forward.    I always release  the hill start before moving off by squeezing the brake again

For sure it does that, but you still get the 'CLUNK' as the gear is selected, even if the bike doesn't move. Just the same as when you engage the gear with the brakes 'on'.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:35 AM, AndyS said:

Just the same as when you engage the gear with the brakes 'on'.

Not unless you are balancing with both feet up    The hill start assist activates the rear brake only 

• 2 weeks later...
Little_Brit

I love the hill hold function on my R1200RT.  I wish the functionality of mine was as subtle as it is on the new 1250 but I can live with it as it is.  I use it all of the time time just like a car's hand brake; if I'm stopping on a slight gradient I just give the front brake a firm tweak then tweak it again to release the brake as I pull away.  The only embarrassing thing is trying to make the brakes on my other bike, a new Yamaha MT07, do the same thing! 

• 5 weeks later...

At first I was skeptical, plus I was surprised how hard the pull needed on the front brake to engage.  However, I now appreciate the feature. 

I stop frequently [ at least once an hour ] on lonely roads in OR and Nor CA, usually on loose gravel and parked uphill for side stand stability.  Hill hold works well in these instances.

I'm now prepping for my fave annual ride thru OR and on to ID/MT on scenic side roads, so the feature will get a workout.