IGNORED

BMW Service in Boise ID?

RandyShields

RandyShields

Hello folks.  After the Spring Torrey rally next month (which I am really looking forward to), I plan to venture further west and north to capture the remaining western states I haven't yet ridden in.  It looks like I will be due for new tires and an oil change in Boise, ID.  When I go to the BMW Motorrad dealer locator, it identifies BMW Motorcycles of Boise.  But when I go to their website, it looks like a multi-vehicle dealership that includes RVs -- DDRV.com (Dennis Dillon Powersports).  Is anyone familiar with this dealership?  I would like whatever comments and input you might provide before I make an appointment.  Thanks.

Randy Shields

Big Twin, the former BMW dealership closed on January 10 of this year.  I'm not familiar with this new dealership.  I know Dennis Dillon has multiple car/truck dealerships in the area.  The powersports dealership shows new BMW motorcycles for sale, but I have no idea about service.  You're kind of in a screwed area in Torrey as far as BMW service goes. 

Depending on your route, I'd probably get service early, perhaps in Colorado, though not in Grand Junction.  Nearest dealership or independent repair facility near Torrey is in Sandy, UT or Salt Lake; about 200 miles.  Sorry I'm not much help.  

Big Twin has been my 'local' dealer since 1996 being 185 miles away and in another state.  I bought a new RT from them last spring.  Have not heard that they are out of business, but then we customers are the last to know. Dennis Dillon is a long time car dealership in the area.  Doubtful they would be in the BMW motorcycle business, but these days who the hell knows.  If Big Twin has gone under, that really leaves a mileage huge hole in sales and service.

RandyShields

Called them this morning and made arrangements to get new tires and an oil change.  Darin, the service writer, was friendly and knowledgeable and said I could even come in early to start since I had so many miles to cover after the visit.  Did not ask me to prepay for the tires!  So far, sounds promising.  I will send a report after the visit.

Randy

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Safe travels, have fun.

Good way to make a small fortune in the motorcyle business?

Start with a large fortune.

On 4/1/2019 at 9:27 AM, RandyShields said:

Hello folks.  After the Spring Torrey rally next month (which I am really looking forward to), I plan to venture further west and north to capture the remaining western states I haven't yet ridden in.  It looks like I will be due for new tires and an oil change in Boise, ID.  When I go to the BMW Motorrad dealer locator, it identifies BMW Motorcycles of Boise.  But when I go to their website, it looks like a multi-vehicle dealership that includes RVs -- DDRV.com (Dennis Dillon Powersports).  Is anyone familiar with this dealership?  I would like whatever comments and input you might provide before I make an appointment.  Thanks.

Randy Shields

I was at Big Twin last summer.  It's not too far from the airport; on the North side of the freeway.

Rob,

Big Twin is no longer on S. Orchard near the freeway on/off ramp.  It has sold to a car dealership, Dennis Dillon.  It's on the other side of the freeway a little north of it's former location.

Got an email from a member of the ID BMW club.  The sales, parts, and at least one mechanic are same people from Big Twin.  So it sounds like the new dealership  may be keeping factory trained technicians.  I hope they have a service manager that is a motorcycle person and not an 'all vehicle' person.  

This news about Big Twin saddens me.  I used to live in Baker City, OR before moving back to western OR and I really appreciated Big Twin, they were a top notch dealership.  They had a dynamometer  and one spring they had dynamometer day with hot dogs and all the goodies.  I got two pulls on the dyno for maybe 20 bucks.  Just a really great bunch of guys and had been in business since the 60s I think.  A guy showed up on a big Harley for a dyno run and the guy running the dyno made sure nobody was standing behind the Harley when he ran the test because of possible chunks of debris exiting the HD tail pipes.:rofl: