IGNORED

I need a knife sharpener

ltljohn

I am in need of a knife sharpener for my kitchen knives, what are you using that works?

(Insert Crocodile Dundee meme here)

img-smiths-pocket-pal-pp1-02.jpg

Smith's Pocket Pal , about $9.00.  Simple, gets the job done quickly.   Works great on our Wusthof and Henckels knives, even sharpened the  serrated steak knives.  I use all sorts of stones, papers and guides for my woodworking tools and really did not expect much from something so basic when I got this as a gift.  The Coarse carbide side gets a rough blade in shape, the Fine ceramic side is used thereafter to keep the blade sharp with a couple strokes every now and then. Paper-thin tomato slices are no problem. (I have not used the diamond rod yet).  You can spend a lot more on some very fancy equipment, but this gets the job done nicely and takes up very little space in the utensil drawer.

The Idahone units are nice.  Ceramic.

https://www.idahoners.com/v-type-sharpeners

For a truly maintenance free sharpener, you can't go wrong with DMT.  Your grandkids will be using them long after you're dead.

https://www.dmtsharp.com/

I've also got a lansky kit.  While it does a nice job, it's just to fiddly for my tastes.  I've had it for decades, but I think I'll put it on ebay soon.

On the other hand a friend of mine showed me a trick his grand dad taught him.  Works surprisingly well.  $0.00

I love a sharp knife, but I never get the angles right. So, I finally went with this unit and it gives two angles which makes the edge last a long time.  Super sharp ever time!

image.png.70632361e8d0f7643d338dd50b190f55.png

They have a newer unit the supersedes this one and I would imagine it is better, faster!

23 hours ago, Antimatter said:

Top of a car window works well, also.  And is pretty cheap. 

Heh heh heh,  there's a few guys I know, who would nut up if I took a knife to their car windows...  :-)