IGNORED

Indicator adjustment

AndyS

45 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Does anyone know if there is any way to adjust the indicator time/distance information using a GS911?

Morning Andy

Are you referring to service date?  Or something else?

If the service date, then I'm not sure on the wethead  but the older hexhead & camhead could have the service date  extended into the future quite a ways (but not turned off) using the GS-911. So it stands to reason that the wethead could be moved farther out in the future also.

Hook it up & take a look--

Select-- 'Special Functions'

Then, select 'Service reminder'

Then, use the 'choose custom date/mileage'  tab.

Some owners manuals say that the time/distance settings for the auto-cancelling turn indicators can be adjusted by the dealer.   Reports on actually having it done vary a lot. I've seen posts that say these options are hard to find in the  BMW  diagnostics software. Some dealers say it cannot be done, but that might depend on the bike. One person said they had it done, but the change it did not help whatever they perceived as a problem - they are still cancelling manually. In any case, I've never seen anything in the GS-911 software that could perform this sort of modification.  The GS-911 function chart shows that it can read various values and reset them to defaults, but I see nothing that lets you select options.

1 hour ago, AndyS said:

Does anyone know if there is any way to adjust the indicator time/distance information using a GS911?

Morning Andy

Per Larry's posting above it looks like I mis-understood what you were asking about.

A couple of years ago Hexcode was working on adding the turn signal time/distance change function to the GS-911 but I haven't seen any follow through on that ability.  

You probably need to call or E-Mail hexcode  (  support@hexcode.co.za  )    to see where they are at with adding that function to the GS-911 (maybe it is in an update & I have missed it).

Your BMW dealer should be able to change it for you but you might have to push them to find it in their computer as the change option  is buried pretty deep in the many function menus. (note: not all dealers know how to do it but they should be open to find it if you push on them hard enough).

I'm not sure what's available on the new 1200RT, on my 1200RT all I could do was move the time/distance way  forward like twice the time & distance it came with (so it acts like it is turned off for most T/S usage as it takes a l-o-n-g time  to self cancel but will still eventually self cancel), on my 1200 GS it is turned off, & on my 800GS it is turned completely off   (now a perfect T/S system as far as I am concerned)

There is nothing in the GS911. I asked the dealer to shorten the time/distance, and they reported that they did. That was bollox, as when I got the bike back the settings were the same.

They also broke the tab on one of the fairing side panels and didn’t tell me. I made them replace the panel, and consequently I no longer use them.

Well, I have just got the official response from Hexcode:

" Hi  Thanks. Regarding your question, this is unfortunately not available on the body controller found on the K5x models. Only on the S1000 models. "

So hypothesising, this leads me to believe that the dealer probably can't do it either.

Anyhow, it has answered my question.

2 hours ago, AndyS said:

Well, I have just got the official response from Hexcode:

" Hi  Thanks. Regarding your question, this is unfortunately not available on the body controller found on the K5x models. Only on the S1000 models. "

So hypothesising, this leads me to believe that the dealer probably can't do it either.

Anyhow, it has answered my question.

Morning Andy

I can't say on the latest K5X, or on the non U.S. K5X,  but one of the riders in my riding group had the dealer  change his 2015 1200RT.

Now, I haven't ridden that bike myself but he claims  it is now changed.

I had mine changed on my 15 RT at the dealer.  It went from longer to long in how long it stayed on.  Even at the lowest setting they stay on too long IMHO.

I just have gotten into the habit of self canceling myself.

They CAN be set to a less time/distance period but it is still too long.

Dealers certainly can do it, if they know how to use their kit. Since 2007 I have altered 12 pre-TC's, then later 12 TC's. And now, in retirement I've had altered a total of six bikes ( three generations R1200RT's plus a GSA & a 1200R)

As well as turning off the self-cancel function altogether, which is my preference, we also changed the clocks to the 24 hour format, & the tyre pressure from BAR to PSI. Ambient temperature can also be changed from Degrees C to Degrees F.  I appreciate that US market motorcycles may well already have TPS set at PSI, & quite probably temperature display as Degrees F, to align with local preference. It's nice to see on the latest bikes that the 12/24 hour clock setting is a rider setting via the User menu. 

2 hours ago, AndyS said:

Martyn - Interesting.

So this was all done using dealer hardware?

Yes, although it was a police workshop, but I'm assured it's the same set-up as a dealer, as we ran so many BMW cars & motorcycles.

The bikes I've had altered since retirement were set-up in my local authorised dealer, conveniently some 400 yards from my house.......!

Bill_Walker

Since not all bikes have self-canceling signals (e.g., my Kawasaki), my preference is to keep myself trained to cancel the signals manually, and only have the self-canceling as a backup in case I forget, which sometimes happens after a long wait for a left turn arrow (right turn arrow for you UKers).  So a long timeout is fine with me.  But I can see wanting to change the preference if you're sure your BMW is the only bike you'll ever ride.

Bill, that is by far the best way. As far as changing preferences. My preference was to disable the function altogether.

Not sure I get disabling the auto cancel approach?

If the issue is that the time distance function leaves the indicator on too long, then would it not be better to leave the function active and operate the signals as if there was no auto cancel function.  Then if you accidentally forget to cancel the signal eventually the auto cancel will clean up after you.  Although it seem illogical, could this have been the intent of the engineers all along?

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Not sure I get disabling the auto cancel approach?

If the issue is that the time distance function leaves the indicator on too long, then would it not be better to leave the function active and operate the signals as if there was no auto cancel function.  Then if you accidentally forget to cancel the signal eventually the auto cancel will clean up after you.  Although it seem illogical, could this have been the intent of the engineers all along?

Morning Paul

It has more to do with early OR unpredictable canceling.

Longer than necessary is probably OK (IF)  they always went long & didn't prematurely cancel. (that is how I have my 1200RT set-- set to very long on time & distance). I just manually control them like I have done for the last 55 + years. 

The problem is that darn (factory set) 10 second cancel as it can be  too long in some situations or way to short in others, plus it doesn't  always match up to proper motorcycle position in the turn.

If the brakes are not used after T/S setting but the turn takes longer than 10 seconds then the signals will cancel prior to the actual turn (or cancel just as the motorcycle gets to the turn).

The problem with the current BMW system is it has large gaps in operation in some circumstances for some riders.

In filtering situations they can cancel unpredictably with the rider not being aware of the T/S turn-off as it is usually a very  heads-up riding situation so the rider is not looking at the dash to see if the signals are on or off.

If the 10 seconds (or time-out) period could be turned off then just use the distance as a failsafe cancel then it would be way more predictable.

Even with a somewhat OK functioning automatic canceling turn signals (like my Harley)  I ALWAYS  hit the cancel button after a turn as it is a long standing muscle memory  habit as well as a number of my motorcycles don't have auto-cancel turn signals. But the Harley also has other automatic  cancel issues so I usually cut the speed input wire to make those manual cancel also.

I think we are seeing two different types of BMW turn signal complaint riders here__

Some (like myself that) that don't like the early auto cancel or unpredictable auto cancel.

Then  (others)  that would like to allow the auto cancel to do the cancelation for them at the proper time (every time) & not have to mess with manual cancelation.

3 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Yes. I am mostly concerned with the system switching off WAY too early.

Oh -got it.  I never have had that happen,  it has always been way too long to auto cancel regardless on whether I was riding about town or out on the open road.

Motorhead1977

On the RT I always manually cancel the turn signals as the self cancel function is very lacking in functionality. My GL1800 not only cancelled using time and distance but cancelled based on lean angle as well. Once the bike came back upright from the turn they shut off. One of the things about my GL that I really miss, unlike the excessive weight.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

My GL1800 not only cancelled using time and distance but cancelled based on lean angle as well.

A Harley rode 10 or 15 years ago had the Time/distance/lean angle functionality to cancel the turn indicator as well.  Really liked the way it worked.  Wish BMW would get a clue given they position their bikes as a premium motorcycle with advanced features.

• Like 1